bdowning

Great White Shark sightings...

Rate this topic

121 posts in this topic

Back in the early 80s.4 of us were fishing on a gravel bar off Mashnee rd. in the pouring rain.We had to wade through about 2' of water at the start of the east running tide to the West end of the canal.I had to turn around to wipe my glasses off.A shark about 5'+ swam between us and the shore heading towards the canal.Just dorsal and tail tip out of the water.I didn't say anything until it passed all of us then told the "boys" to look to their right.

Also,surfing in the late 60s in Wellfleet we would see sharks on the bottom cruising in the troughs out by the outer bars.These were in the same 5-6' range.It wasn't broadcast for the most part.Never had an issue with them.

Basking sharks also out by the target ship in the bay.

2 hours ago, mikez2 said:

Just saw a headline about a big hammerhead in the surf on Nantucket. Didn't click the story

It looked like a juvenile to me- maybe 5’ or so.  

18 mins ago, Fitzy said:

It looked like a juvenile to me- maybe 5’ or so.  

Pretty cool. You don't hear about many of them around here. A warm water fish for sure.

I think I remember hearing there has been an increase in hammerhead and other warm water sharks down jersey way in recent summers. Looks like they're heading this way...

Pretty cool. You don't hear about many of them around here. A warm water fish for sure.

I think I remember hearing there has been an increase in hammerhead and other warm water sharks down jersey way in recent summers. Looks like they're heading this way...

I have a good buddy who used to do a lot of south of the vineyard fly fishing- mostly mahi, skippies, and other little tuna.  Once in a while he’d spot little hammers like that- I’m not sure if he ever got one on the fly.  I know he’s casted to them. 

they are really cool fish!

Shear size of that dome will startle you, specifically if its a large one, but great hammerheads present little threat to us… don’t ask me how i know,lol

7 hours ago, mikez2 said:

Just saw a headline about a big hammerhead in the surf on Nantucket. Didn't click the story

i seen theres one off the block island too...pretty crazy 

When I was on the sword boat, we would occasionally see huge schools of hammerheads.  Cool looking ifsh.

On 8/2/2022 at 5:51 PM, Jeff270 said:

I disagree.  I spent every summer of my life on Pochet beach up until I was in my 20s.  Pretty much every year there would be a shark siting.  Not like now, but they were out there.

A few afternoons ago at pochet lol almost right infront of the path . 100 feet or less from shore. It was big 

17780A11-7AF1-4A54-A5A2-0C668163D7E9.jpeg

Perfect conditions on the outer cape for shark sighting last week.  Flat surf, dead wind and sunny could-less sky.  Cruz tight to shore in the middle of the day when the sun is highest in the sky and you will see many lol.  Scary close to shore......

That's like the "bite radius" thing, right? F that!!! One of the great scribes of our time (Melville methinks)  said something about putting an oar over his shoulder and walking west until someone asked him what it was. I'd be running west , no...sprinting, the whole damn way.

Posted (edited) · Report post

Was on the Vineyard at South Beach two weeks ago, saw one seal the entire week but don't think I didn't consider what lies beneath. Water was 70 degrees, a bit warm but see a seal and assume 'ol whitey can't be far behind. 

Screen Shot 2022-08-04 at 10.13.10 AM.png

Edited by brushfly

21 hours ago, mikez2 said:

The sharks I'd be most worried about are bulls. Quite a few attacks on humans down Florida way, some fatal. Some experts now think that a bull was responsible for the infamous Matawan Creek attacks in NJ, sometime about 1912. Warm water brackish creek, not ideal habitat for a white.

Hammerheads love tarpon for a snack.

8 hours ago, PSegnatelli said:

They've found bulls up the Mississippi as far north as Illinois. 

There was an entire population in Lake Nicaragua in Central America.