bdowning

Great White Shark sightings...

Rate this topic

121 posts in this topic

4 hours ago, bob_G said:

I looked into booking a GW trip for my wife and I, since I've never seen one.  But it's tough to justify upwards of $2k.   Eventually I'll see one eat Salty on Bell Rd.

Imagine seeing a big fin cruising down the canal on a slack tide at 6am? That would be quite the sight. 

On 7/27/2022 at 2:47 PM, FoulHooker said:

Haha far from a hero.  Just pointing out its not the whale flotilla.  Some people just don't have a clue.  I just play by the rules and some of the rules upset you.  Go talk to your local advocates if you have a problem with the commercial fishery.

But it doesn't bother you?

Go sell your girl friend.....

On 7/27/2022 at 11:48 AM, FoulHooker said:

Nah $ is nice though.

Curious, is fishing your primary source of income?

21 hours ago, bob_G said:

Dave,

Just because people are concerned about the plight of our precious bass, that doesn't make them nuts. 

Responsible c&r is fine. Killing these few remaining fish for what amounts to beer money and bragging rights isn't. :read:

It’s not what I meant by shaking the tree , I meant was  a low profile is better than  the look at me attitude. Always someone is going to get mad . As for the commercial thing and recreation guys ? It’s a a new thing maybe 20 yrs, you know that  Earlier in our fishing life we caught fish and sold them so we could stay longer and do it again .  that’s how earlier ( 60-70-80)bass fishing was.    BUT NOW,  everybody’s a commercial bass fishing, and most have a 50,00to a 100,000 boat under them with 5 to 10 grand in electronic and a cell phone. That’s commercial bass fishing 2022 

I’ve been boat fishing sense may .. I’ve seen one thrasher  about 8 ft with a 4ft tail  in buzzard bay , in Ccb I’ve seen lots of whales , lots of seals , 1 giant tuna , and lots of  bait for everyone  but no whites yet 

Even Great Whites are getting prop scars!

This one was off Hampton Beach New Hampshire.

6F2172FE-A89F-48E8-A2B3-EBA20DD2266E.png

On 7/29/2022 at 4:27 PM, gray gables said:

Imagine seeing a big fin cruising down the canal on a slack tide at 6am? That would be quite the sight. 

im amazed it hasnt happened yet...i'd bet they've cruised through hanging to the bottom and we don't even know it

9 hours ago, willcodfish said:

im amazed it hasnt happened yet...i'd bet they've cruised through hanging to the bottom and we don't even know it

I think a couple of years ago one did.  Wasn't seen but speculation on their tracking beacon.   One moment it was on one side. Next moment it was on the other.   

40 mins ago, PSegnatelli said:

I think a couple of years ago one did.  Wasn't seen but speculation on their tracking beacon.   One moment it was on one side. Next moment it was on the other.   

Having seen 6 white sharks on a tour, the first thing you notice is that they don't usually swim with the fin out like the movie jaws. In fact they tell you that when you get on the boat - don't bother looking for fins.

Even in shallow water, the fin only occasionally breaks the surface, and not for long.

That's why surfers don't notice the 12 footers sharing the waves.

The point being, you could drive a fleet of white sharks through the canal without anyone ever seeing one.

One of the shark week shows was on the Cape. I think it was called Monsters of the Cape. A guy jumped in with a shark that was eating a seal. They were testing different sounds to see if any scared them away. Explosions attracted the sharks. Orca sounds scared them away temporarily. 

36 mins ago, mikez2 said:

Having seen 6 white sharks on a tour, the first thing you notice is that they don't usually swim with the fin out like the movie jaws. In fact they tell you that when you get on the boat - don't bother looking for fins.

Even in shallow water, the fin only occasionally breaks the surface, and not for long.

That's why surfers don't notice the 12 footers sharing the waves.

The point being, you could drive a fleet of white sharks through the canal without anyone ever seeing one.

Oh definitely.   I had a big bullshark right next to me in chest deep water.  Sharks never even made a ripple on the surface.  

34 mins ago, z-man said:

One of the shark week shows was on the Cape. I think it was called Monsters of the Cape. A guy jumped in with a shark that was eating a seal. They were testing different sounds to see if any scared them away. Explosions attracted the sharks. Orca sounds scared them away temporarily. 

Saw that show.  Dude was nuts IMO. But definitely earned his paycheck.  

4 mins ago, PSegnatelli said:

Oh definitely.   I had a big bullshark right next to me in chest deep water.  Sharks never even made a ripple on the surface.  

Saw that show.  Dude was nuts IMO. But definitely earned his paycheck.  

The beginning of the show was BS though when the guy said he remembers stories about the monsters of the cape when he was a kid. There were no sharks back then. No one even saw or mentioned them until about 10 years ago. 

4 hours ago, z-man said:

The beginning of the show was BS though when the guy said he remembers stories about the monsters of the cape when he was a kid. There were no sharks back then. No one even saw or mentioned them until about 10 years ago. 

They have always been here.

Then they were transient.

Now they are resident.

4 hours ago, z-man said:

Friends of mine reported encounters with whitey while fishing the elizabeths back in the 70s and 80s. 
Swamp Yankees mind you.  Not the kind to do anything outlandish.