drmevo

Expert Grill Kamado

Rate this topic

31 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

I just picked one of these up from Walmart for just under $200 on sale (normal price $300).. Anyone else have one? It seems to be a clone of the Akorn, other than the warming rack is a little different, and it has nicer metal side shelves. I’m coming from a crappy Brinkmann Smoke’n Grill, so I have high hopes! Getting it broken in and seasoned now…

Edited by drmevo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

Good luck & enjoy.

Kamado's are pretty versatile, once you figure them out. They do have a bit of a learning curve.

Best advice I can give you is, bring the temp up SLOWLY. Once it's hot, it's tough & takes a while to bring down.

JD

Edited by jjdbike

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, jjdbike said:

Good luck & enjoy.

Kamado's are pretty versatile, once you figure them out. They do have a bit of a learning curve.

Best advice I can give you is, bring the temp up SLOWLY. Once it's hot, it's tough & takes a while to bring down.

JD

Thanks, definitely planning to take my time the first few cooks and will probably do something relatively forgiving. I bought this to mainly use as a smoker since I have a Weber gas grill that I like (cheaper Spirit model from over 10 years ago that still works great), but I think I'm going to do pizza on the kamado since it can get so hot, maybe sear steaks, etc. 

 

Just burning off the factory junk and seasoning the cast iron grate last night, it was surprisingly easy to hit the temp I was going for (400*) and hold it for an hour or so. Not expecting any miracles but anything will be better than that old Brinkmann I had. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Have fun with it... I've had kamados for about 50 yrs.. And don't intend to be trained on any another type cooking device...

Butch

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 mins ago, bass-o-matic said:

Been thinking about a BGE for a while.  Are they worth the $?

 

Never owned one so take this with a grain of salt, but in my search, I read that apparently these steel kamados have a lot of the same functionality and performance at a fraction of the price. I wouldn't hesitate to invest in a BGE or a Kamado Joe under certain circumstances, but the weight and possibility of cracking if it gets tipped over scared me off because I don't have a good permanent place to put one. The steel ones won't crack but can rust if you don't take care of them, although that's true of any metal grill or smoker. This one appealed to me because I can move it around easily or even take it camping, etc. The ceramic kamados weigh a ton. That said, the ceramic ones could last decades, and have higher quality parts, so if you have a good permanent spot to put one, you can find plenty of people that say they are totally worth it.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, drmevo said:

Never owned one so take this with a grain of salt, but in my search, I read that apparently these steel kamados have a lot of the same functionality and performance at a fraction of the price. I wouldn't hesitate to invest in a BGE or a Kamado Joe under certain circumstances, but the weight and possibility of cracking if it gets tipped over scared me off because I don't have a good permanent place to put one. The steel ones won't crack but can rust if you don't take care of them, although that's true of any metal grill or smoker. This one appealed to me because I can move it around easily or even take it camping, etc. The ceramic kamados weigh a ton. That said, the ceramic ones could last decades, and have higher quality parts, so if you have a good permanent spot to put one, you can find plenty of people that say they are totally worth it.

 

I have 3 different size ceramic kamados and 1 steel one.. Ceramics are for home use, and the steel is for camping.. My smallest ceramic was bought for camping use, but I was worried after a few years about its fragility..., When I 1st saw a "Bubba Keg" now a "Broil King", I got it for camping... The problem is, I now have a motor home with no place to carry it... But my Son's Family almost always camps with us, and since he has a "toy hauler", he carries it... It's still heavy, but manageable, and we have cooked every thing from ribs to pizza on it.. It has held up well, but it sits in my garage when we aren't using it for camping... It looks about like new...

Butch

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Reed422 said:

this thing steel or ceramic?

 

The one I bought is steel. 

0ddc3c19-2eeb-44c6-9992-6fd4cad7a40c.f20

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Reed422 said:

@Mike uhoh :(

 

2 hours ago, drmevo said:

The one I bought is steel. 

0ddc3c19-2eeb-44c6-9992-6fd4cad7a40c.f20

Looks like the steel King Griller I bought years ago and never use. Too many toys....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Midnightpass said:

I have 3 different size ceramic kamados and 1 steel one.. Ceramics are for home use, and the steel is for camping.. My smallest ceramic was bought for camping use, but I was worried after a few years about its fragility..., When I 1st saw a "Bubba Keg" now a "Broil King", I got it for camping... The problem is, I now have a motor home with no place to carry it... But my Son's Family almost always camps with us, and since he has a "toy hauler", he carries it... It's still heavy, but manageable, and we have cooked every thing from ribs to pizza on it.. It has held up well, but it sits in my garage when we aren't using it for camping... It looks about like new...

Butch

If I like this one enough and use it often I might get a ceramic eventually. My initial reason for getting it was smoking but as I read more and more on high heat cooking, I think I might be doing a lot of that as well.

 

3 hours ago, Reed422 said:

looks good enjoy it!

Thanks!

53 mins ago, Mike said:

 

Looks like the steel King Griller I bought years ago and never use. Too many toys....

I think that was the predecessor to the Char-griller Akorn. 

32 mins ago, Surf bomber said:

Looks good , enjoy

Thanks! I'll post an update after I've had a cook or two on it. Can't wait to catch some lake trout to smoke on this thing. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Mike said:

 

Looks like the steel King Griller I bought years ago and never use. Too many toys....

Ya I need ceramic. You should just give me your joe.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.