541Wiant

Waterfowl hunting GSB area?

Rate this topic

15 posts in this topic

Upstate transplant to the central SS of Long Island, going to be there for the fall/winter and am planning on doing some waterfowl hunting. Definetly going to be contacting an ECO about local rules and regs before trying anything. Does anyone on here hunt waterfowl on the island? I have many questions so get ready lol... Also I wasnt sure if there was a hunting section to this fourm.... 

Although I don't hunt, my son and his friend waterfowl here on the North Shore of the Island. Both Geese and Ducks.  He also has friends that do so in the Oceanside area. GSB had legendary waterfowl hunting years ago, with many active sportsman clubs. Most of the "bay houses" that dot the bay were put up for that reason along with fishing and shellfishing.  Hopefully some locals to the SS shine in with more info. Definitely contact your ECO, they will tell you some things your town might not even know about or want to discuss with you. 

19 hours ago, 541Wiant said:

Upstate transplant to the central SS of Long Island, going to be there for the fall/winter and am planning on doing some waterfowl hunting. Definetly going to be contacting an ECO about local rules and regs before trying anything. Does anyone on here hunt waterfowl on the island? I have many questions so get ready lol... Also I wasnt sure if there was a hunting section to this fourm.... 

You might want to look into the South Shore Waterfowlers Association.  Decent bunch of guys.  I'm a member, although I don't go to the meetings too often.  But I find them welcoming and willing to answer questions.

My Great South Bay duck hunting has always been from a friend's boat, as mine is too big to get into the marshes.  But there is some decent hunting.  We have some local black ducks, and a good shot of teal comes through early in the season.  Unfortunately, the later season can depend on how cold things get up north, and whether birds get pushed down.  Some seasons they do, other seasons--too often, lately--they don't.  We also often get a decent shot of brant, and some Canadas.

But depending how you like to hunt, we have hunting black ducks, some mallards, and similar stuff in the marshes; bufflehead, goldeneye, and scaup for guys in layout boats on the bay, as well as some sea ducks (better sea ducks in the ocean, if you have the boat for it).

Suffolk County has some public land hunts for residents with the Green Key pass; check the website for details.  The number of birds can vary from decent to awful depending on season and weather--again including the weather upstate.

Join the Long Island waterfowl pages on Facebook. I hunt the gsb and other places on the island. There’s a ton of info on there. The nys dec has a section look it up it tells you places you can hunt on the map they have on the website. But what questions do you have?

On 7/28/2022 at 7:35 PM, JimJones said:

Join the Long Island waterfowl pages on Facebook. I hunt the gsb and other places on the island. There’s a ton of info on there. The nys dec has a section look it up it tells you places you can hunt on the map they have on the website. But what questions do you have?

Mostly along the lines of How big of a spread is needed and decoy composition. I'm used to hunting beaver ponds and rivers upstate where a half dozen mallards and a few pintail dekes will get you a limit.

8 hours ago, 541Wiant said:

Why's that? 

A lot of them can be a little fishy.

The teal tend to be OK, and the mallards aren't bad.  Sometimes the black ducks let you know that they've been eating snails, although I make them with a black currant jelly glaze that deals with that situation pretty well.

Things go downhill from there, with anything that dives having a somewhat fishy flavor, with the sea ducks smelling like low tide when you pop them in the oven (although I've been told, but haven't tried, marinating the breasts in Italian dressing overnight, cooking them over coals to rare/medium rare, and slicing them thin leads to decent tasting birds).

And don't ever, under any circumstances, shoot a merganser, which taste strongly of fish and often bioaccumulate a lot of toxic substances (although, once again, I have been told that they make decent gumbo, although I'm not inclined to check that out for myself).

Posted (edited)

20 hours ago, Sandflee said:

@541Wiant Just know you are close to great Bowhunting

I tend to stay away from public land near metropolitan areas, but I have heard Great things! 

Planning on keeping my big game hunting permissions upstate., less hastle and I already know the area. 

Edited by 541Wiant

On 7/30/2022 at 4:18 PM, CWitek said:

A lot of them can be a little fishy.

The teal tend to be OK, and the mallards aren't bad.  Sometimes the black ducks let you know that they've been eating snails, although I make them with a black currant jelly glaze that deals with that situation pretty well.

Things go downhill from there, with anything that dives having a somewhat fishy flavor, with the sea ducks smelling like low tide when you pop them in the oven (although I've been told, but haven't tried, marinating the breasts in Italian dressing overnight, cooking them over coals to rare/medium rare, and slicing them thin leads to decent tasting birds).

And don't ever, under any circumstances, shoot a merganser, which taste strongly of fish and often bioaccumulate a lot of toxic substances (although, once again, I have been told that they make decent gumbo, although I'm not inclined to check that out for myself).

So even the puddle ducks down here are fishy? I've learned to stay away from mergs and other divers... limited out on mergs one day last year and took them to my buddy who is a chef. Couldnt find a recipie where they tasted good lmao... I hate wasting food, but damn those things tase bad... 

I figured with a good cold front pushing down and the birds moving fast they wouldn't have time for their last few meals to imart a change in meat quality? 

Also I am very interested in the upcoming resident CG season in september. How do they tase compared to something thats been feeding on Ag fields all summer? 

Ben 

8 mins ago, 541Wiant said:

So even the puddle ducks down here are fishy? I've learned to stay away from mergs and other divers... limited out on mergs one day last year and took them to my buddy who is a chef. Couldnt find a recipie where they tasted good lmao... I hate wasting food, but damn those things tase bad... 

I figured with a good cold front pushing down and the birds moving fast they wouldn't have time for their last few meals to imart a change in meat quality? 

Also I am very interested in the upcoming resident CG season in september. How do they tase compared to something thats been feeding on Ag fields all summer? 

Ben 

Even puddle ducks can have a little of that Starkist flavor.  Teal are the least problematic in that respect.

Don't depend on a cold front pushing down birds.  Really didn't happen last season; waterfowling on Great South Bay was a little disappointing, although some folks had good outings.  The November season is worth hunting, because the local birds are still a little naive.  Then the main season opener.  After that, a cold front moving birds is a bonus.

The Canadas on the bay often eat seaweed, and can have a maritime flavor; the amount varies from bird to bird, and can be completely absent (they've probably been living on golf course fairways) to fairly strong (they've been chowing down on sea lettuce).  If you go out east, you can find some birds from the cornfields that are pretty good; if you can round up a friend or two who want to chip in for a guide on private agricultural land, you can get some good birds.  

I've spent some time hunting upstate (Malone/Black River area).  Upstate birds taste better.

On 7/30/2022 at 8:07 AM, 541Wiant said:

Mostly along the lines of How big of a spread is needed and decoy composition. I'm used to hunting beaver ponds and rivers upstate where a half dozen mallards and a few pintail dekes will get you a limit.

I have friends that don’t use or have alot of decoys so they don’t have big spreads. I feel like the diver spreads the bigger the better but others disagree. We use like 6-10 black ducks and a few mallards depending if the time of year when we hunt the marshes In the bay.  I’ll try to find pictures but I honestly just looked up diver spreads and started messing around. One  long mine across the from of your boat parallel to you and I use 2 long lines and kinda curve them into where im gonna be shooting so they land on between the lines and want to land close to the boat. And a random throwers spread out like blue bills and buffleheads to fill in the holes so they don’t wanna land anywhere else in your spread of that makes sense lol. If the fat or skins yellow it’s gonna taste fishy. Late season we stack up a bunch of puddle ducks like black ducks and mallards mixed into a small hole and they dive right into it. That’s just my experiences so far I’m fairly new to this around here. Only been doing it like  5 years now so I’m still learning every time I go out. 

On 8/2/2022 at 11:09 AM, 541Wiant said:

I tend to stay away from public land near metropolitan areas, but I have heard Great things! 

Planning on keeping my big game hunting permissions upstate., less hastle and I already know the area. 

May change your mind when you see the size of the Bucks on LI