The Riddler

Over 90 percent were snagging and dropping Pogys today

Rate this topic

262 posts in this topic

Has anyone in Ma ever been checked for circle hooks? I seriously doubt a circle hook violation has ever been written since this dumb law was enacted.

If course, the EPs and regulator people will state no one was ever cited because all fishermen are in 100% compliance. So the law is working.:laugh:

4 hours ago, Jeff270 said:

I will still maintain that anyone who does not list "commercial fisherman" as their occupation on their tax return, should not be able to get a comm striper license.

Been saying that for many years.

1 hour ago, bob_G said:

Has anyone in Ma ever been checked for circle hooks? I seriously doubt a circle hook violation has ever been written since this dumb law was enacted.

If course, the EPs and regulator people will state no one was ever cited because all fishermen are in 100% compliance. So the law is working.:laugh:

Never been stopped, questioned, or ever noticed any EP in MA observing me, let alone checks for circle hooks. In NH, I noticed them glance at my rods in the rod holders and could see that I had circle hooks tied on but did not ask to see up close. 

2 hours ago, theshadow said:

Been saying that for many years.

50% of more of your gross income, documented by slips from a fish house or cancelled checks. That's how it was for many years in NY, to renew a comm license for any species. You got a pass only for the first year---after that, you were expected to earn a substantial part of your income from it.

1 hour ago, GTs_and_Stripers said:

Instagram is full of kids on daddy's contender limiting out on cows thinking they've accomplished something, makes me sick

Both this, and the Canal mackerel slaughters, were mostly amateur hour.

3 hours ago, bob_G said:

Has anyone in Ma ever been checked for circle hooks?

I have personally been checked on the canal twice for circle hooks. Granted I fish more than most so maybe that accounts for more encounters. 

When fishing bait for striped bass you are bound to deep hook fish. The fishes mindset is "I'm going to consume this" so gut hooking is bound to happen whether it's a circle, j hook, or treble. Hooking fish in the gill rakers is even more deadly than being gut hooked. They bleed out much more than a gut hook. Snag and dropping is much more prone to get a treble in the gill rakers which makes it a much more harmful tactic. The least harmful tactic would by far be a circle hook but it still has its flaws. Like I said and sort of bait fishing is bound to have deep hooked fish. I firmly believe that that rate is lower with circles but still a problem. The only way to end this debacle is to stop bait fishing for bass. Even hooks on artificials can get caught in the rakers and cause problems as well but I won't even start with that issue.

Watching the evening news just now, it appears the EPOs are stepping up boat patrols in this area.   

When did this incident with the whale happen, was it Tuesday?  You mark my words, the EPs are going to step in, and shoo fishermen and boaters away from schools of pogies. 

They already said it's the pogies that are causing this, and the whales and stripers are a byproduct looking for food.

50 mins ago, bob_G said:

Watching the evening news just now, it appears the EPOs are stepping up boat patrols in this area.   

When did this incident with the whale happen, was it Tuesday?  You mark my words, the EPs are going to step in, and shoo fishermen and boaters away from schools of pogies. 

They already said it's the pogies that are causing this, and the whales and stripers are a byproduct looking for food.

A blessing in disguise if that would happen. 
No more fishing around Pogy schools....epic! 

Posted (edited) · Report post

2 hours ago, bob_G said:

They were out there Wednesday with 2 boats. They just sat on the edge of the fleet and watched for  around 3 hours then left. Half the boats yo-yoing as well. Was only 1 whale early Wednesday then disappeared before noon

Edited by SalmonAndStriper Stalker

19 hours ago, bob_G said:

Sunday was the incident. 

Apparently there was another close call today around the commercial fleet. Can anyone out there today verify? 

Maybe snag and drop and yoyo will give anglers more than what they can handle.

DBDA3F91-2744-44B1-AF9F-6B4AFC01B737.png

Posted (edited) · Report post

Id rather be in the boat at least.  Talk about a whale of a story.  Couple days ago from Cali. Thats a real one too.  Not one of those adolescent humpty dumptys off plymouth 

Edited by FoulHooker

25 mins ago, FoulHooker said:

Id rather be in the boat at least.  Talk about a whale of a story.  Couple days ago from Cali. Thats a real one too.  Not one of those adolescent humpty dumptys off plymouth 

Yup - I think I'll just stay on the sand....