The Riddler

Over 90 percent were snagging and dropping Pogys today

Rate this topic

262 posts in this topic

11 mins ago, jt0791 said:

So anyone think they'll be any fish left in 2023 after The Menhaden Massacre of 2022

The bass quota is at 68%. Unfortunately there’s a lot more killing still to come. 

43 mins ago, z-man said:

The bass quota is at 68%. Unfortunately there’s a lot more killing still to come. 

Aside from a few outlier years in the late teens, the comm quota has been met every year..going back at least 15. 

This year's take will be same as last, ~735,000lbs. If the average is an ~41" fish at 21lbs, that's 35,000 fish. 

The current comm quota is down 3-400K lbs vs 12-15 years ago, and down 100K vs late teens.

On 7/27/2022 at 0:40 PM, Pickerel92 said:

I liked it better when the bunker weren’t around. You actually needed skill to pull fish off structure, boat and surf. Now anyone with access to a CC is a Fishing God. 

Great fishing can bring out the worst in people.

Yep. Brings out the haters who don’t put in the time and complain when they see someone else slaying and they aren’t lol to each their own. Nothing wrong with either side. Recs and comms both have their pros/cons. Can’t be a hypocrite though

7 hours ago, LockedDrag said:

Yep. Brings out the haters who don’t put in the time and complain when they see someone else slaying and they aren’t lol to each their own. Nothing wrong with either side. Recs and comms both have their pros/cons. Can’t be a hypocrite though

Yes, but a little humility can go a long way. 

22 mins ago, SalmonAndStriper Stalker said:

Snag and dropping is so 3 weeks ago. All the commercial and recs have resorted to yo-yoing instead.

Yo-yoing. :dismay:

Horribly way to catch fish. We did that in the late 70s off Cuttyhunk.   Load pogies with sinkers, spark plugs, pre cut rerod. 

Guys were catching fish with their bellies loaded with lead and metal.  Horribly destructive and irresponsible way to fish.  Every fish that ingests a loaded pogy is eventually a goner.

10 mins ago, bob_G said:

Yo-yoing. :dismay:

Horribly way to catch fish. We did that in the late 70s off Cuttyhunk.   Load pogies with sinkers, spark plugs, pre cut rerod. 

Guys were catching fish with their bellies loaded with lead and metal.  Horribly destructive and irresponsible way to fish.  Every fish that ingests a loaded pogy is eventually a goner.

So what, if it increases the catch and allows the "comms" to buy more beer, its well worth it.  Just trying to make a living....

29 mins ago, Jeff270 said:

So what, if it increases the catch and allows the "comms" to buy more beer, its well worth it.  Just trying to make a living....

I will still maintain that anyone who does not list "commercial fisherman" as their occupation on their tax return, should not be able to get a comm striper license.

32 mins ago, Jeff270 said:

Don’t forget buying expensive gas. Cigarettes and drugs are expensive too. Thankfully there’s a natural resource to exploit to fund these habits. 

On 7/27/2022 at 8:04 AM, rollincoal said:

Are there any studies that show snag and drop kills more fish than live lining with circle hooks; either way doesn’t sound good for the bunker.

Circle hooks are belived to minimize deeply-hooked fish, but I'm not aware oif any definitive studies that have been released comparing the two hook types under identical conditions.

Massachusetts is now crunching the numbers from a study that does directly address the circle hook issue; hopefulky, the results will be released soon.

Posted (edited) · Report post

49 mins ago, CWitek said:

Circle hooks are belived to minimize deeply-hooked fish, but I'm not aware oif any definitive studies that have been released comparing the two hook types under identical conditions.

Massachusetts is now crunching the numbers from a study that does directly address the circle hook issue; hopefulky, the results will be released soon.

I know its anecdotal but i don't recall deeply hooked bass that ive caught on snagged bunker; but i've certainly had bass hooked in the back of the throat on j and circle hooks(while holding the rod and promptly hooking up.) From what ive read in studies regarding injury from hooks; gut hooked fish with internal injuries were deemed to cause significant mortality of released fish.

Edited by rollincoal

1 hour ago, rollincoal said:

I know its anecdotal but i don't recall deeply hooked bass that ive caught on snagged bunker; but i've certainly had bass hooked in the back of the throat on j and circle hooks(while holding the rod and promptly hooking up.) From what ive read in studies regarding injury from hooks; gut hooked fish with internal injuries were deemed to cause significant mortality of released fish.

Back when I lived in SW Connecticut and everyone was fishing with live bunker, I saw a lot of fish gut-hooked with trebles.

The big question now, which I’d like to see answered, is whether circle hooks are as good as people think.  I hear a lot of anglers complaining about them gut-hooking fish, and I’ve heard of skeptical biologists say that because bass feed be expanding their gills and sucking in their prey, the circle hooks may be causing more deep-hooking than predicted.  I know that they work as advertised with sharks, but don’t bait fish for bass, so I have no personal observations.

Hopefully, the Massachusetts study will provide some reliable information,

6 mins ago, CWitek said:

Back when I lived in SW Connecticut and everyone was fishing with live bunker, I saw a lot of fish gut-hooked with trebles.

The big question now, which I’d like to see answered, is whether circle hooks are as good as people think.  I hear a lot of anglers complaining about them gut-hooking fish, and I’ve heard of skeptical biologists say that because bass feed be expanding their gills and sucking in their prey, the circle hooks may be causing more deep-hooking than predicted.  I know that they work as advertised with sharks, but don’t bait fish for bass, so I have no personal observations.

Hopefully, the Massachusetts study will provide some reliable information,

I’ve seen many throat and gut-hooked stripers on circle hooks with live pogies this year. I can’t comment on fishing chunks, but I would imagine that circle hooks are more effective on chunk bait because you don’t need to wait as long to “set” the hook on a smaller piece of bait. 

livelining macks with circles though the nose we gut hooked almost every striper we caught as the fish would swallow the bait head first.

Had to forego the bait harness as those hooks were waaaaay down in.

31 mins ago, mcnar said:

I’ve seen many throat and gut-hooked stripers on circle hooks with live pogies this year. I can’t comment on fishing chunks, but I would imagine that circle hooks are more effective on chunk bait because you don’t need to wait as long to “set” the hook on a smaller piece of bait. 

So don't wait. I've been drifting live bait, under a balloon, hooked through the back behind the dorsal. Hook point aimed back. Full drag in the rodholder, backed off a little to spare the violence to the rod. Watch the balloon, you can freespool when the bait gets nervous. Even if you don't watch closely, just reel in when the rod doubles over.  I hooked everything that hit but one (area was full of small fish, probably grabbed the tail and ripped it off), dropped none, and every one was hooked perfectly around the jaw.

Previously I hooked the bait back to front, but I was getting misses, and dropping fish on the retrieve. The fish landed had the hook around the upper front jaw, so I surmised the drops were hooked in the teeth and popping off.

The other guys on the boat insist on freelining bait hooked through the nose. One third to half are gullet hooked while they let the bass run before engaging the drag. They are also getting fewer hookups and landed bass than I am. Stubborn.

I'm not saying it's infallible, but it's been nearly perfect over a short sample size.