The Riddler

Over 90 percent were snagging and dropping Pogys today

Rate this topic

262 posts in this topic

13 hours ago, FindTheFleet said:

If I won the mega millions I'd still be out there at 5am Monday morning commercial bass fishing 

Do you just enjoy destroying a resource for others?

If you golf do you intentionally dent and tear up the greens for the next guy? How about throwing branches on hiking trails for the next people to trip over? What other great things do you do for society?

21 hours ago, Turkeybacn said:

I was thinking more about this whole thing. I have way less of a problem with true commercial fisherman. Still don't  agree with continuing to hammer a finite resource that is over fished but it's their chosen profession. On the other hand you have these Recremmercial clowns which are scum. They have other income coming via fulltime job, retirement fund, etc and do not need the money. They don't give a shite about this fishery because at the end of the day they don't need the money. Doesn't matter who they are or what they do, people with the "I'm getting what's mine F everyone else" attitude are scum.

Slippery slope going down this 100% commercial rabbit hole. Most of the tuna fisherman have other jobs, most charter captains have other jobs. The MA season is only 6-8months (April-Dec) if you really push the limits. Its not practical to expect guys to be 100% commercial fisherman these days. My take on tightening up these two markets, bass and tuna, is to make commercial licenses available to charter boats only w/ student permits available. That would eliminate a lot of the recremercials flooding the market when the bite gets easy. 

4 mins ago, finefish said:

Slippery slope going down this 100% commercial rabbit hole. Most of the tuna fisherman have other jobs, most charter captains have other jobs. The MA season is only 6-8months (April-Dec) if you really push the limits. Its not practical to expect guys to be 100% commercial fisherman these days. My take on tightening up these two markets, bass and tuna, is to make commercial licenses available to charter boats only w/ student permits available. That would eliminate a lot of the recremercials flooding the market when the bite gets easy. 

I agree with some of this but the charter captains can make money without commercial fishing.  I would rather separate the two things completely  If you charter that's what you do.  If you are commercial that's what you do.  Either way I think what should happen is you should only be able to purchase a license if:  You are from Massachusetts, Have previously had a commercial license, and have sent in all of your catch reports on time.  This would weed out the people that don't really commercial fish. 

20 mins ago, FoulHooker said:

I agree with some of this but the charter captains can make money without commercial fishing.  I would rather separate the two things completely  If you charter that's what you do.  If you are commercial that's what you do.  Either way I think what should happen is you should only be able to purchase a license if:  You are from Massachusetts, Have previously had a commercial license, and have sent in all of your catch reports on time.  This would weed out the people that don't really commercial fish. 

I think the captains license would just be a hoop to cross that would eliminate the guys who ride the coattails of a hot bite... which we saw this year off boston & plymouth for bass and chatham for tuna. I think most guys seriously in the game have the license already and if they don't would get it to stay in. Given the consistent hot bites this season that didn't move and required zero skill my guess is we see a huge uptick in permit holders this winter. A capt license would eliminate that type of permit holder & the "recremercial" who people complain about. 

2 hours ago, finefish said:

I think the captains license would just be a hoop to cross that would eliminate the guys who ride the coattails of a hot bite... which we saw this year off boston & plymouth for bass and chatham for tuna. I think most guys seriously in the game have the license already and if they don't would get it to stay in. Given the consistent hot bites this season that didn't move and required zero skill my guess is we see a huge uptick in permit holders this winter. A capt license would eliminate that type of permit holder & the "recremercial" who people complain about. 

You know what would be even easier? Just closing down commercial fishing for bass permanently. 

3 hours ago, FoulHooker said:

I think what should happen is you should only be able to purchase a license if:  You are from Massachusetts, Have previously had a commercial license, and have sent in all of your catch reports on time.  This would weed out the people that don't really commercial fish. 

I agree with this!   But I would add that you need to provide documentation that you actually relied on commercial fishing for a portion of your income.