The Riddler

Over 90 percent were snagging and dropping Pogys today

Rate this topic

303 posts in this topic

8 mins ago, jason colby said:

Wouldn't you?

I have similar confidence that most of my released fish do well. How well? No clue. My gut is that it's way less than 9% mortality (never use bait).

One thing I would NEVER do, is claim I "keep track" and claim 1% as fact.

Posted (edited)

1 min ago, mikez2 said:

I have similar confidence that most of my released fish do well. How well? No clue. My gut is that it's way less than 9% mortality (never use bait).

Or only 2-3 fish out of 2000 need to be revived.  I Like Jason, I’ve fished with him. But that is smoke being blown up your azz. 

Edited by giggyfish

Just now, mikez2 said:

Then perhaps in a few more years you will have the confidence in yourself and your methods to make such claims if you feel like it.

1 min ago, jason colby said:

Then perhaps in a few more years you will have the confidence in yourself and your methods to make such claims if you feel like it.

You don't keep track. There's no way you can. You release, they swim away, that's that.

You have no clue if it's 1% or not. 

Take shots at my skills as an Angler if it strokes your ego. 

Posted (edited)

I've said this a lot on this site.  If you are really worried about the Striped Bass population stop fishing for them.  It doesn't mean others will stop.  But at least you will morally feel better and not be part of the demise...  After everything that has been said.  I will support what the Authorithies to manage the fish population.  I will operate within the rules.  If that's a moratorium or no comm fishing or closed rec days, ect I'm all for it.   But its hard to take offense to anyone following the law.  That's why the stealing car parts and heroin is stupid as hell to say.  That is illegal

Edited by FoulHooker

12 mins ago, giggyfish said:

I’d even venture to say somebody that goes into these fights with super light tackle with the intention of landing a slob to the benefit of only their ego are the worst of the bunch. Let me go torture a fish so I can prove to my Facebook fans that I’m a great angler. Wow impressive. At least I am eating the ones I kill. 

Those fish are goners and no amount of good wishes is going to make it different. 

Bass are pretty tough. If it isn’t gut or gill hooked it has a pretty good chance of being revived and surviving. Do humans that run marathons all die because they are tired?

1 min ago, FoulHooker said:

I've said this a lot on this site.  If you are really worried about the Striped Bass population stop fishing for them.  It doesn't mean others will stop.  But at least you will morally feel better and not be part of the demise...  After everything that has been said.  I will support what the Authorithies to manage the fish population.  I will operate within the rules.  If that's a moratorium or no comm fishing or closed rec days, ect I'm all for it.   But its hard to take offense to anyone following the law.  That's why the stealing car parts and heroin is stupid as hell to say.  That is illegal

Perfectly said but unfortunately it will fall on deaf ears on this board.

1 min ago, z-man said:

Bass are pretty tough. If it isn’t gut or gill hooked it has a pretty good chance of being revived and surviving. Do humans that run marathons all die because they are tired?

This shows your lack of knowledge

Just now, z-man said:

I’m guessing the majority of those that are in the senior years of their life would. 

12 mins ago, mikez2 said:

You don't keep track. There's no way you can. You release, they swim away, that's that.

You have no clue if it's 1% or not. 

Take shots at my skills as an Angler if it strokes your ego. 

Skills?

1 hour ago, giggyfish said:

I’d even venture to say somebody that goes into these fights with super light tackle with the intention of landing a slob to the benefit of only their ego are the worst of the bunch. Let me go torture a fish so I can prove to my Facebook fans that I’m a great angler. Wow impressive. At least I am eating the ones I kill. 

Those fish are goners and no amount of good wishes is going to make it different. 

Wait what? Light tackle is immoral now?

Is this an established thing that light tackle kills fish at a significantly higher rate or just the assumption of an angry person?

3 mins ago, adam42 said:

Wait what? Light tackle is immoral now?

Is this an established thing that light tackle kills fish at a significantly higher rate or just the assumption of an angry person?

The longer the fight.  The less chance for survival.  Shouldn't be targeting big breeders with light tackle if you are worried about survival.  But its certainly not against any rules.

Posted (edited)

8 hours ago, FoulHooker said:

I will operate within the rules. 

Unless you spot a groggy oversized recreational bass.

Edited by ermghoti

26 mins ago, FoulHooker said:

The longer the fight.  The less chance for survival.  Shouldn't be targeting big breeders with light tackle if you are worried about survival.  But its certainly not against any rules.

This only makes sense. 

I wouldn't see how anyone could ever make an argument against this