The Riddler

Over 90 percent were snagging and dropping Pogys today

Rate this topic

303 posts in this topic

On 8/8/2022 at 9:49 AM, FoulHooker said:

 Guy with the flyrod fought that thing for 30mins.  Put it on the fish grips and tried to revive it for another 10 mins.  I drove by and asked if the striper was gonna make it and complemented him on the catch.  He told me he wasn't sure.  I said will if it don't you can throw it in my boat. Gave me the finger as we drove away.

So you wanted to him to poach on your behalf, he wouldn't, now you're mad.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, ermghoti said:

So you wanted to him to poach on your behalf, he wouldn't, now you're mad.

No I'm saying the striper forever numb nuts with the fly rod catching 30lbers in august that will never make it through a 30 minute fight.  Might as well gaff it and make $100

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, jason colby said:

Charters are required to use circle hooks the same as rec are.

That "some" of each are not following the rules is a shame. I must say though that I do keep track of my mortality and it is less than 1% with or without circle hooks .....

Ask any tackle shop this year in Metro Boston. Snagging Hooks soaring but not Circle Hooks. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 mins ago, FoulHooker said:

No I'm saying the striper forever numb nuts with the fly rod catching 30lbers in august that will never make it through a 30 minute fight.  Might as well gaff it and make $100

What’s better for the fish? Reviving it and giving it a chance to live or gaffing it and killing it, letting it bake in the sun and then eventually ending up in a dumpster when no one buys it’s over priced fillets at the grocery store. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, z-man said:

What’s better for the fish? Reviving it and giving it a chance to live or gaffing it and killing it, letting it bake in the sun and then eventually ending up in a dumpster when no one buys it’s over priced fillets at the grocery store. 

Uhhhh the fish was dead for sure.  Might as well let someone eat it or make money.  Your logic is kinda flawed.  Good morals though

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 mins ago, FoulHooker said:

Uhhhh the fish was dead for sure.  Might as well let someone eat it or make money.  Your logic is kinda flawed.  Good morals though

Might as well sell it to make money…because…morals. 
:point:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 mins ago, FoulHooker said:

No I'm saying the striper forever numb nuts with the fly rod catching 30lbers in august that will never make it through a 30 minute fight.  Might as well gaff it and make $100

You said what you said, which is that you were going to poach, but were stopped.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, mikez2 said:

That's impressive. 

So how do you keep track of released fish? Radio telemetry? Scuba tanks?

How many days do you follow each fish to determine it has fully recovered?

There is a "very challenging tone" to what you wrote....

No, I do not use telemetry, telepathy or other such methods but I do handle an average of 2000 to 3000 stripers/year and the vast majority of them are back in the water and bolting away at light speed (very strong and healthy) as I am very well practiced at it. Out of say 2000 fish, if I feel a fish "needs to be revived" (2 to 3 fish/year, on a bad year) AND if I give those fish a 100% mortality rate then I am still well below the 1% figure. My issue, that I see when I do have a fish that "needs reviving" is usually very warm water which, combined with excess trauma (hook in a bad place) and a long fight "can cause" more mortality. So far this month and last I did not see it at all and the only fish so far this year that I needed to revive was a 50+ in June that did fight a lighter rod for an excessive time. I am "almost certain" that she survived but I can't be sure.

As far as "fully recovered" goes I can say that I have on many occasions caught the same fish again, 10 to 20 minutes after the first time releasing it. It actually likely happens more than I realize because it is not frequent that a individual fish with a unique marking (like a deformity or missing a part of a particular fin) comes up and then comes up again. Think of how many times "they all look alike"...

You should fish on my boat before you judge me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, CWitek said:

If it's anything like it is in New York, I'd guess a fair number of schoolteachers, police, and firemen, too.

100% spot on!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, CWitek said:

If it's anything like it is in New York, I'd guess a fair number of schoolteachers, police, and firemen, too.

Don't see anything wrong with that.,....they also can do plumbing, bang nails, shellfish, charter fishing, cut lawns, etc; capitalism/ free market economics in all its glory

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 mins ago, jason colby said:

There is a "very challenging tone" to what you wrote....

No, I do not use telemetry, telepathy or other such methods but I do handle an average of 2000 to 3000 stripers/year and the vast majority of them are back in the water and bolting away at light speed (very strong and healthy) as I am very well practiced at it. Out of say 2000 fish, if I feel a fish "needs to be revived" (2 to 3 fish/year, on a bad year) AND if I give those fish a 100% mortality rate then I am still well below the 1% figure. My issue, that I see when I do have a fish that "needs reviving" is usually very warm water which, combined with excess trauma (hook in a bad place) and a long fight "can cause" more mortality. So far this month and last I did not see it at all and the only fish so far this year that I needed to revive was a 50+ in June that did fight a lighter rod for an excessive time. I am "almost certain" that she survived but I can't be sure.

As far as "fully recovered" goes I can say that I have on many occasions caught the same fish again, 10 to 20 minutes after the first time releasing it. It actually likely happens more than I realize because it is not frequent that a individual fish with a unique marking (like a deformity or missing a part of a particular fin) comes up and then comes up again. Think of how many times "they all look alike"...

You should fish on my boat before you judge me.

Well said Jason.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 mins ago, jason colby said:

There is a "very challenging tone" to what you wrote....

No, I do not use telemetry, telepathy or other such methods but I do handle an average of 2000 to 3000 stripers/year and the vast majority of them are back in the water and bolting away at light speed (very strong and healthy) as I am very well practiced at it. Out of say 2000 fish, if I feel a fish "needs to be revived" (2 to 3 fish/year, on a bad year) AND if I give those fish a 100% mortality rate then I am still well below the 1% figure. My issue, that I see when I do have a fish that "needs reviving" is usually very warm water which, combined with excess trauma (hook in a bad place) and a long fight "can cause" more mortality. So far this month and last I did not see it at all and the only fish so far this year that I needed to revive was a 50+ in June that did fight a lighter rod for an excessive time. I am "almost certain" that she survived but I can't be sure.

As far as "fully recovered" goes I can say that I have on many occasions caught the same fish again, 10 to 20 minutes after the first time releasing it. It actually likely happens more than I realize because it is not frequent that a individual fish with a unique marking (like a deformity or missing a part of a particular fin) comes up and then comes up again. Think of how many times "they all look alike"...

You should fish on my boat before you judge me.

So you try to care for your fish. So do many of us. That's not the point.

The point is how you claim you "keep track" of mortality. That is impossible. It's not close to realistic. 

 

I'm not judging how you fish. I judged you on a statement on an internet forum you made that did not represent reality. And yes, I suppose that is "challenging" what you say.

In case you haven't noticed, when you make an outlandish claim in a post here, you will be challenged. That's kinda what we do here.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 mins ago, makaha said:

Don't see anything wrong with that.,....they also can do plumbing, bang nails, shellfish, charter fishing, cut lawns, etc; capitalism/ free market economics in all its glory

Well said Lisa.....................

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 mins ago, mikez2 said:

So you try to care for your fish. So do many of us. That's not the point.

The point is how you claim you "keep track" of mortality. That is impossible. It's not close to realistic. 

 

I'm not judging how you fish. I judged you on a statement on an internet forum you made that did not represent reality. And yes, I suppose that is "challenging" what you say.

In case you haven't noticed, when you make an outlandish claim in a post here, you will be challenged. That's kinda what we do here.

There are different degrees of trauma and on one end of the scale you have a fish that is obviously either dead or at deaths door. at the other end of the scale you have fish that are quite frisky and bolt away as soon as they touch the water. If these fish are large enough, you can't "revive" them anyway because you wouldn't be able to hold onto them. No, I can't say that "more than 99% of the fish I let go will live" with absolute surety BUT, because the vast majority are on the latter side of that trauma scale above I feel very confident that in a casino I would do very well with those odds. Wouldn't you?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, FoulHooker said:

No I'm saying the striper forever numb nuts with the fly rod catching 30lbers in august that will never make it through a 30 minute fight.  Might as well gaff it and make $100

I’d even venture to say somebody that goes into these fights with super light tackle with the intention of landing a slob to the benefit of only their ego are the worst of the bunch. Let me go torture a fish so I can prove to my Facebook fans that I’m a great angler. Wow impressive. At least I am eating the ones I kill. 

1 hour ago, z-man said:

What’s better for the fish? Reviving it and giving it a chance to live or gaffing it and killing it, letting it bake in the sun and then eventually ending up in a dumpster when no one buys it’s over priced fillets at the grocery store. 

Those fish are goners and no amount of good wishes is going to make it different. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.