The Riddler

Over 90 percent were snagging and dropping Pogys today

Rate this topic

303 posts in this topic

26 mins ago, z-man said:

What will these guys do for beer money now that the comm bass season is closed? Steal catalytic converters?

I'm gonna kill tuna and sell them for $3 per/lb like everyone else.  Also load the boat with bluefish every chance I get.  What do you do for wine money?

3 hours ago, mikez2 said:

Does anybody else think these new guys are all one person?

I'm still going with the theory that it's a current or banned long term member trying to F with the forum. Or drive up clicks.

Page after page in several threads of the same stuff.

I've seen no evidence of that---yet. But this platform doesn't have some of the tools that existed on past ones, even with Huddler.

6 mins ago, Ditch Jigger said:

I've seen no evidence of that---yet. But this platform doesn't have some of the tools that existed on past ones, even with Huddler.

I was really only half joking.

4 mins ago, mikez2 said:

I was really only half joking.

If I looked into it, it wasn't for s***s and giggles. ;) 

Things we learned in this thread. Regulation is not working because EP enforcement, lack of personnel, budget, called to backup other agencies, in the middle of the night or having enough evidence to act is impossible. I am sure there are more reasons. 

The EP's do show up at the commercial buying market. Its why I feel tags is the way to go and put a slot on it for the upper end especially. If that involves giving up the last bass recs can keep? Do it. Negotiations with more rules that cannot possibly be patrolled or enforced to make a difference is not working. 

4 hours ago, FoulHooker said:

Because there are 2000X more recreational fisherman.  Don't tell me people wouldn't keep them because they do now.  Most of the EPOS efforts (which is very little effort) have been geared toward recs with over slot fish onboard.

I don't care how many more rec fisherman there are. They are not legally allowed to kill breeders, and if some are, then they should be prosecuted. NO one should be killing breeders when the stocks are suffering. Not comms, not recs, NO ONE!

You have this attitude that "everyone else is getting away with it, why not me".  

1 hour ago, FoulHooker said:

What do you do for wine money?

I think you misspelled "WHINE".  ;)

Just saying...

3 hours ago, mikez2 said:

It bothers me because you say the same things over and over, in multiple threads. It's obvious you're more interested in stirring **** than getting your say in.

Boy that's the pot calling the kettle black...

1 hour ago, FoulHooker said:

I'm gonna kill tuna and sell them for $3 per/lb like everyone else.  Also load the boat with bluefish every chance I get.  What do you do for wine money?

I scrap cat converters for my wine money. I figure if I don’t steal them someone else will anyways, right? :)

Speaking of side hustles. Is anyone else seeing these gypsy people holding signs with kids asking for money at shopping area parking lots. I heard about them on the cape a couple months ago now I’m seeing them all over my area. 

22 mins ago, z-man said:

I scrap cat converters for my wine money. I figure if I don’t steal them someone else will anyways, right? :)

Good point Z, I never looked at it that way.

There is no reason to shut threads down because you don’t like what others opinions may be. Like it or not if you pull on stripers with a sharp pointy object, exhaust it then hold it out of the water while you pull the hook from its face, you are gonna kill some. I’d like to see a commercial and recreational slot 34-38”. I fish for meat and sport and loathe the holier than thou attitude of some of these guys. I see charter capts pounding on these fish day after day and crying on social media about meat fishermen. They’re profiting on dead bass too but the only ones they’re feeding are the crabs.

Posted (edited)

18 hours ago, HopHead said:

If the charters can use trebles then so should everybody......not my preference but last I checked we all own the ocean and what's in it.  So sick of this bull****.  Comms do NOTHING to promote sustainability and the CnR mortality line for recs is a steaming pile of horsesheeit.

Charters are required to use circle hooks the same as rec are.

That "some" of each are not following the rules is a shame. I must say though that I do keep track of my mortality and it is less than 1% with or without circle hooks .....

Edited by jason colby

3 hours ago, jason colby said:

I must say though that I do keep track of my mortality and it is less than 1% with or without circle hooks .....

That's impressive. 

So how do you keep track of released fish? Radio telemetry? Scuba tanks?

How many days do you follow each fish to determine it has fully recovered?

On 8/5/2022 at 9:33 AM, FindTheFleet said:

No one who works at Walmart is a comercial fisherman. Most of the guys own their own buisness (electricians to accountants) so they can schedule in comercial fishing.

If it's anything like it is in New York, I'd guess a fair number of schoolteachers, police, and firemen, too.