The Riddler

Over 90 percent were snagging and dropping Pogys today

Rate this topic

303 posts in this topic

13 hours ago, K Foley said:

But they can't add 2 +2:beatin:

Based on quota being hit at the normal time and bass large and small legit everywhere I would say ASMFC is doing a great job 

3 hours ago, FindTheFleet said:

Based on quota being hit at the normal time and bass large and small legit everywhere I would say ASMFC is doing a great job 

Well that’s the most idiotic thing I’ve read in awhile.

What might piss me off the most is that I release all my big fish (plug caught from shore) only to be targeted and killed by these asshats with a snag hook.

And they have zero appreciation for the fish, the sport, or other people. Why should ignorant, selfish degenerates be entitled to this fishery?

23 hours ago, FindTheFleet said:

Can you please explain to me why it matters who catches it when it's quota protected?

That's a good question. The size of the take, the biomass of fish removed, matters far more to the fishery then how DNR and the IRS view the person who catches and sells fish.

Just got thru this thread. I'm  not a commercial but not against it either.  I see both sides of the argument. It's not black and white. We all kill fish whether intentional or thru release mortality. My biggest take after reading it all is ftf and fh sound like a couple of dumbco#@s with some flawed logic. There's a pile of fish where we are so all is well. Nothing to worry about.

3 mins ago, Chris76 said:

Just got thru this thread. I'm  not a commercial but not against it either.  I see both sides of the argument. It's not black and white. We all kill fish whether intentional or thru release mortality. My biggest take after reading it all is ftf and fh sound like a couple of dumbco#@s with some flawed logic. There's a pile of fish where we are so all is well. Nothing to worry about.

I'm saying there are piles of fish from rhode island to Maine. Just not in the canal. 

Piles?  Maybe north of canal and outer cape. More like isolated small piles with vast stetches of fishless water in between in areas that I fish which is buzzards bay/southeastern mass and off Little Compton. Yes there are fish but it's shadow of what it has been in recent years in July and August.  Yeah I know certain areas off Newport and Block(small boat so out of my range)have produced but other than that inconsistent everywhere else.  And it's not just me. Have a large network where we all share info and same story with everyone I talk to. All good fishermen. Yeah, in June there was a good bite in rivers but ledges in ocean haven't had fish consistently all year and all these spots have been consistent producers in the past. 

Posted (edited)

5 hours ago, FindTheFleet said:

Just not in the canal. 

Dems fightin' words rite there

Picsart_22-08-06_19-21-45-305.jpg.329e761662f11158014d12369306eb88.jpg

Edited by rst3

3 hours ago, Chris76 said:

Piles?  Maybe north of canal and outer cape. More like isolated small piles with vast stetches of fishless water in between in areas that I fish which is buzzards bay/southeastern mass and off Little Compton. 

You do realize that in those areas you listed the water temp is above 70 degrees. Anything that warm won't hold concentrations of large bass. Now buzzards bay was on fire with fish up to 50lbs in May and June but they have moved on to cooler water.

Posted (edited)

40 mins ago, SalmonAndStriper Stalker said:

You do realize that in those areas you listed the water temp is above 70 degrees. Anything that warm won't hold concentrations of large bass. Now buzzards bay was on fire with fish up to 50lbs in May and June but they have moved on to cooler water.

Yes I'm.aware of water temps in my area and I understand it's their time north of canal in the heat of summer.  I'm talking about the normal summer doldrums where at least there are  some decent bass at some point on lthe ledges and humps between westport and sakonnet if you work for them.   I'm western buzzards bay so more Gooseberry to Dartmouth when heading east. From other posts I've read  figure your more canal end of bay.. Never went out in ocean east or west till early July as big fish we're in rivers till then.  Yeah it's definitely tuff striper fishing in my neck of the woods for few weeks of August  with big blues being the best game in town.   I'm talking about July for the most part.  Never an issue in years past. 

Edited by Chris76
Spelling

Regrettably I took my anger out on a Marine Fisheries lad who was out in the hot sun interviewing recs about how was the Bass fishing was and what's happening out on the water. I told him the truth. I told him about over 40 recreational boats out there today fishing multiple pogy schools and how the majority were snagging and dropping. Yada yada....I told him about the big EP boat who came in for 5 minutes and left. Probably out to Stellwagon because whales get priority. I was ****ing fuming. Then I said, you take that data and use it against the recs. I said this management on Bass Sucks. You and your organization ****ing suck......nobody gives a **** about bass except the majority of recs. I just found the fisheries boss and I am going to email and tell them I am frustrated along with 1000's of other recs from management to enforcement. Hopefully I can make it right with the young man. I have to get the emotions in check. It's a buisness but to me the powers that be do not care. Ask the Atlantic Cod. 

On 8/5/2022 at 4:23 PM, Jeff270 said:

Man you sure do have an assbackwards way of justifying your actions.   Added a couple of your other gems to keep it consistent.

"I can sleep at night because I don't give a crap."

"Well if I don't get my piece before its gone someone else will."

People with this type of attitude are a plague to MA. So many that don’t care about anything but themselves. How did it get so bad? 

On 8/6/2022 at 7:31 AM, FindTheFleet said:

Do you feel the same way about cod and winter flounder?

On 8/6/2022 at 11:20 AM, Turkeybacn said:

Well that’s the most idiotic thing I’ve read in awhile.

Just wait a few minutes. 

Posted (edited)

12 mins ago, z-man said:

Do you feel the same way about cod and winter flounder?

I fished for flounder 2 times in the last 2 years caught 15 keepers with 3 people, Not amazing but one of those days started at 2pm.  And cod you can't hit the bottom with a sabiki without getting one there recovery is happening people out there can see it.. *

Edited by TimS
Please leave the personal crap out of your posts - thanks.