The Riddler

Over 90 percent were snagging and dropping Pogys today

Rate this topic

262 posts in this topic

30 mins ago, FindTheFleet said:

The point of a sustainable fishery is to be able to make and sustain a certain number of lbs sold per year aka a quota. hitting the quota early is a great sign not a bad thing open ur eyes

You’re right everything’s fine… there’s nothing to see here.  The fishery is completely sustainable as it is.

What happened the past 4 years with the quota, and what was the spawning success like over the past 10 years?

Exploiting a resource that you know is severely depleted because “if I don’t do it, someone else will” represents a deep failure of ethical responsibility. 

2 mins ago, Fitzy said:

You’re right everything’s fine… there’s nothing to see here.  The fishery is completely sustainable as it is.

What happened the past 4 years with the quota, and what was the spawning success like over the past 10 years?

Doesn’t care about all that because he got his this year and that’s all that matters .

38 mins ago, FindTheFleet said:

The point of a sustainable fishery is to be able to make and sustain a certain number of lbs sold per year aka a quota. hitting the quota early is a great sign not a bad thing open ur eyes

All hitting the quota means is that you hit the quota, nothing more.  It does not mean that it is sustainable.

Just now, jmei said:

Exploiting a resource that you know is severely depleted because “if I don’t do it, someone else will” represents a deep failure of ethical responsibility. 

The failure of ethical responsibility has always been a thing.  Why would it stop now? Its happened in just about every commercial fishery.  I can sleep at night because I don't give a crap.  People care more about the Bass because that's what they enjoy catching and its easy.  Maybe someday you will be winter flounder fisherman or a scup slayer.  Its always changing  

2 mins ago, FoulHooker said:

I can sleep at night because I don't give a crap.  

We all knew this- you didn’t need to spell it out.

5 mins ago, Fitzy said:

The last 4 years there wasn't 5 acres of pogies in protected bays that everyone can get at.  We still got ours but most of the fish were in chatham at night in the fog and wind. Also they only gave us 2 days Monday and Thursdays.  By getting 3 consecutive days its easier to stay on the bite. I also think people forget that 2017, 2018, and 2019 most of this biomass was in the canal getting slaughtered by rec fisherman.

1 min ago, FoulHooker said:

I also think people forget that 2017, 2018, and 2019 most of this biomass was in the canal getting slaughtered by rec fisherman.

Nobody forgot. The board was raging to close the canal or set it c&r only. It was also plagued with commercial anglers.

1 min ago, FoulHooker said:

The failure of ethical responsibility has always been a thing.  Why would it stop now? Its happened in just about every commercial fishery.  I can sleep at night because I don't give a crap.  People care more about the Bass because that's what they enjoy catching and its easy.  Maybe someday you will be winter flounder fisherman or a scup slayer.  Its always changing  

I am pleased that you are at least able to admit that you are acting unethically. Better to be honest and immoral than to be self-delusional and immoral. 

36 mins ago, FoulHooker said:

Go complain to the fisheries and the state.  Wah Wah Wah

You’re really butt hurt when someone calls you out…. 

I’ll just continue to do what I know is right.  This place would be a whole lot better if we all did the same.

2 mins ago, Fitzy said:

You’re really butt hurt when someone calls you out…. 

I’ll just continue to do what I know is right.  This place would be a whole lot better if we all did the same.

Well everyone doing what you think is right will never happen so get over it

16 mins ago, FoulHooker said:

Well everyone doing what you think is right will never happen so get over it

Man you sure do have an assbackwards way of justifying your actions.   Added a couple of your other gems to keep it consistent.

"I can sleep at night because I don't give a crap."

"Well if I don't get my piece before its gone someone else will."

2 hours ago, bob_G said:

We all realize that. The last thing we need is to have you attempt to explain it to us.

The "maximum sustainable fishery" concept was explained to everyone during the striper hearings in the early 1990s.  But you're probably too young to remember that.  Or, better yet, you probably weren't even born yet.:laugh:

"Maximum sustainable fishery" means managing the species on the edge of collapse, without actually causing it to collapse. It's an inexact science, to say the least, even though ASMFC used a mathematical formula to calculate it.

43 mins ago, Ditch Jigger said:

"Maximum sustainable fishery" means managing the species on the edge of collapse, without actually causing it to collapse. It's an inexact science, to say the least, even though ASMFC used a mathematical formula to calculate it.

But they can't add 2 +2:beatin: