The Riddler

Over 90 percent were snagging and dropping Pogys today

Rate this topic

303 posts in this topic

That's my report anyways. Finally did the Metro Boston afternoon Pogy party. Place was mobbed. 40 boats easily. Comms, Recs and Charters with the high majority snagging and dropping. Everyone doing it with light spinning rods. Ended up with 3 in the low 40" range on a circle hook and 2oz trolling weight. 

Truth be told, why even ban snag and drop? Why even add more rules with nobody to enforce. It's also tough to prove. I would be curious if there is even one angler who has been bagged on it.

Posted (edited)

I haven't been getting out much but did a drive by today, definitely a lot of boats out there. I only had a few lures with me so figured I was probably outgunned by not having live bait and did not stay long. Maybe I'll have to get a treble hook and some circle hooks and take a ride back out on a day when the commercial guys are not out there and it's hopefully not as crowded. Doesn't look like the best place to figure out live lining bait on a busy day in a smaller boat, although I did see someone in a kayak out there. 

I was only there briefly did see the environmental police boat go by but they didn't stop.   

Again I haven't been getting out much this year but I have not seen as many bird parties in Quincy bay this year. Hopefully will start spotting some soon. 

Edited by johnysmoke

6 hours ago, The Riddler said:

That's my report anyways. Finally did the Metro Boston afternoon Pogy party. Place was mobbed. 40 boats easily. Comms, Recs and Charters with the high majority snagging and dropping. Everyone doing it with light spinning rods. Ended up with 3 in the low 40" range on a circle hook and 2oz trolling weight. 

Truth be told, why even ban snag and drop? Why even add more rules with nobody to enforce. It's also tough to prove. I would be curious if there is even one angler who has been bagged on it.

So why are the Boston pogie boats netting Salem harbor?

1 hour ago, unskunk said:

So why are the Boston pogie boats netting Salem harbor?

Don't know. You will have to ask them. 

I didn't snag and drop when it was legal, because I don't use treble hooks with live bait. Even if you never hook a fish deeply, you can break one off with the mouth stitched closed. I do fine transferring a snagged bait to a circle hook and casting or drifting it back into the action.

I agree it is ridiculous they keep piling on regulations that they have no interest in enforcing. Increase fines until it's worth sending an EPO with a camera, and issue masses of tickets be recording violations in a circus? MA has rarely missed a trick when it comes to bleeding fees and fines from the citizenry, why draw the line on fisheries?

10 hours ago, The Riddler said:

….

Are there any studies that show snag and drop kills more fish than live lining with circle hooks; either way doesn’t sound good for the bunker.

1 hour ago, rollincoal said:

Why not just ban fishing live bait all together.

For both commercial and rec? Absolutely. 
But who will enforce it? :laugh:

90%?

That number seems far too low, sadly. 

14 hours ago, The Riddler said:

Tell them recs to stop doing that its illegal.  It is in fact legal for the commercial fisherman to snag and drop an yo-yo as long as the skewer and weight is attached to the mainline.  Also what if you said you were targeting bluefish and catch and release the stripers anyway.  There is literally no way to enforce this.   

29 mins ago, FoulHooker said:

Tell them recs to stop doing that its illegal.  It is in fact legal for the commercial fisherman to snag and drop an yo-yo as long as the skewer and weight is attached to the mainline.  Also what if you said you were targeting bluefish and catch and release the stripers anyway.  There is literally no way to enforce this.   

It's sad we have people negotiating snag and drop illegal for Recs but ok for comms. You might as well just let the Comms net for their fish at this point. The idea of Hook and Line over-netting for bass was to level the playing field for the bass not recs vs comms.

Where do the bass get a legitimate chance doing snag and drop? 

I liked it better when the bunker weren’t around. You actually needed skill to pull fish off structure, boat and surf. Now anyone with access to a CC is a Fishing God. 

Great fishing can bring out the worst in people.

38 mins ago, Pickerel92 said:

I liked it better when the bunker weren’t around. You actually needed skill to pull fish off structure, boat and surf. Now anyone with access to a CC is a Fishing God. 

Great fishing can bring out the worst in people.

Yea much better when the mackerel are in.  Everyone in the canal dragging the 40LBERS on the rocks.  Its no different.  You just need a vessel to get to these ones.

2 hours ago, FoulHooker said:

Your pro commercial comments are ridiculous. One fish a day vs 15. Plus the comms don’t give a damn about safely releasing undersize fish. Their just a nuisance to them getting their beer and drug money.