Camoroso2006

I am a beginner and need opinions (lots of questions)

27 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, tcal4404 said:

Believe OP said freshwater, not sure tube n worm would apply

There would be freshwater eels. I’ve always been the type that because it’s never been done doesn’t mean it won’t work out just fine. 

I don't freshater fish for stripers and I'm sure that many smarter than I will give you good advice but I grew up with my dad teaching me that experience is noticing things as you do them that allow you to make improvements for the next time. That goes for anything in life but especially for fishing. There are many variables and in the end a bit of mystery that keeps us coming back. Good luck!

2 hours ago, Camoroso2006 said:

@kinghong1970 I got my post count up above 15. How do I direct message? 

i troll lot with inline boards,off shore boards,never use live bait for troling ,only use spoones,stick bait and harnes with nightcrawlers catch any fish,pike,musky,stripers,eyes,bass,catfish,

stinger spoones

stick bait HJ# 14,smitwick,bandit,shalow  or deep divers,harnes make by yourself get parts from jannetcraft tolido,good price.

There’s a guy on YouTube. Lives in Tn, does a lot of Striper fishing in lakes. Ball jig with gulp has worked for me trolling. The deep diving minnow lures should work too. 

Posted (edited)

On 7/26/2022 at 4:28 PM, Camoroso2006 said:

I am a 16 and a beginner just needing answers on some starter gear for trolling on my Eagle Talon 12ft for strippers in a freshwater lake with live bait. I was looking into the okuma Magda 20DXTLC for my reel and a tsunami tough tip live bait rod whould that be good? The reel only has 15lbs of drag is that enough for a larger striper? Is the rod the right action for what I am doing? What line and leaders should I use? How should I rig up the live bait? 

the troling is ok to catch fish.

the best way to catch fish is casting and reeling in you feel the hit and the fight.

i like spining rod and spining reel,if you have chance grab in your hand  st.croix 7' medium rod it is around $150 you do not have to pay $150 just look for same rod parameters and cork grip you can find for $59 defrent company and put president reel on that 300 or 3000 size and look for braid on ebay 1000 yards 30# for $30 you would pay $120 for that for power pro,it work same.check out fenwick rods,life time warantie.

tie main line to swivel and 3' mono leader to dual clip for quick change off lures.

learn how to locate fish and what they are eating.

fish with jigs and swim bait,spoones and stick bait i like suspending stick bait,like HJ# 14 or smitwick same size get 5 or 6 defrent colors.

learn how to retreve,some time they hit while you reel slow.

but some time you can reel slow they do not hit,they will hit only on stop,you can pouse from 1 second to 30 seconds.

every time you have to test what work,it can change any minutes.

same think with jigs,you have to find out how long it take the jig hit botom,count in seconds,every jig with defrent weight wil take defrent time.

example

if you cast 1/2 oz jig in 30' water and it take 10 second hit the botom,the jig is faling 3' pro second.

now you can target fish from top to botom by counting.

you may locate fish but they are not biting,you have to find what time they are feeding,it can work for few days or it will work only one day.

get some big joshy swim bait defrent colors and defrent sizes.

Edited by snag777

Posted (edited)

17 mins ago, chewy2000913 said:

SW VA, you fishing smith mountain lake?

Yes sometimes 

Edited by Camoroso2006

If you know where the stripers at smith mountain lake are, cast n reeling works better than trolling. I had no success trolling

5 hours ago, chewy2000913 said:

If you know where the stripers at smith mountain lake are, cast n reeling works better than trolling. I had no success trolling

I don’t know where they are I was hoping with trolling I could build a where abouts of there locations 

On 7/26/2022 at 9:24 PM, phishallways said:

Ok, in all seriousness.. prostitutes and blow. With occasional massages. Give up fishing and monogamy now. You’ll thank me later.

Shakespearean 

On 7/29/2022 at 11:00 PM, Camoroso2006 said:

@kinghong1970 I got my post count up above 15. How do I direct message? 

Sent you a PM

im back home so give me your zip

or post here with JUST your zip

you can PM me by clicking on my handle/avatar and look for envelope icon

Al