NJTramcar

Tire recommendation for sand and daily driving

47 posts in this topic

All terrain in the sand will serve you well . It’s all about airing down enough. Falkens are a very good choice!

On 7/28/2022 at 11:10 AM, DEM Parking Lot said:

I see a lot of people recommend all terrain tires for sand driving.

Although not bad choice, it's not the greatest choice as well.

All terrain tires have a harder more agressive tread and sharp edges which is designed to dig in dirt when traction is lost.  Not what you want to be doing on the beach sand.

IMO, the best type of tire you can buy for the sand is a highway HT tread tire.  Non-aggressive tread pattern and softer side walls which will allow you to increase the surface area of your tire when airing down. 

You want to be floating on top of sand, not digging into it.

The highway tire will work great until you run over a rock, piece of wood or metal and destroy a sidewall. 

Cooper XLT AT3. You should also see a noticeable improvement in how your truck handles at highway speeds and around curves with the E rated/10 ply sidewalls. 

I was going to get Falkens recently, I went my local guy and asked for suggestions. He brought up two, don't remember which ones. I mentioned Falken and he made a bit of a face. I asked if he didn't like them and he bluntly said "no, they suck".

I told him to get me whatever he thought would be best, to be honest I don't even know what's on there without looking at them.

I have no experience with Falken, I have one friend with them. He likes them, so there's that. 

2 hours ago, Drew C. said:

I was going to get Falkens recently, I went my local guy and asked for suggestions. He brought up two, don't remember which ones. I mentioned Falken and he made a bit of a face. I asked if he didn't like them and he bluntly said "no, they suck".

I told him to get me whatever he thought would be best, to be honest I don't even know what's on there without looking at them.

I have no experience with Falken, I have one friend with them. He likes them, so there's that. 

My local tire shop doesn’t really want to sell Falkens either. I think they must make less money on them or they are more difficult to get. Everyone I’ve talked to that owns them has loved them. 

On 7/30/2022 at 10:22 PM, z-man said:

The highway tire will work great until you run over a rock, piece of wood or metal and destroy a sidewall. 

That shouldn't happen as long as you're paying attention ;)

2 hours ago, DEM Parking Lot said:

That shouldn't happen as long as you're paying attention ;)

I see people with flat tires on the beach quite a bit. There’s all kinds of debris out there and most of it is partially buried in the sand. 

I just (May) went with the Michelin Defender LTX M/S on my 2017 off road 4runner. The stock Dunlops were shot at 57k miles.  The defenders are pricey but I waited for a special at BJs and paid ~ $850 installed.  I've had good luck with these on prior 4runners.

Posted (edited)

23 hours ago, z-man said:

My local tire shop doesn’t really want to sell Falkens either. I think they must make less money on them or they are more difficult to get. Everyone I’ve talked to that owns them has loved them. 

I put them on a 2009 Honda I had, The factory tires wore out fast, The Falkens were very good. They wore like iron. 

Edited by hunter123

Yep Honda puts crap on their vehicles for factory tires , think I was lucky to get 30k on my Pilot . I went with Michelin Ltx and defenders after that . Was not impressed with those , wore too fast . Now got Destination 3’s on the Pilot , has almost 200k miles now. Have Destination 2’s on my Pathfinder after replacing the Destination 1’s which lasted over 100k , Pathy has almost 300k now . And have Falken Wildpeak AT3W on my Gx470 , probably got 50k on those so far and Gx is now pushing 215k .  
I do a lot more woods soft roadiing with Gx hence why I went with AT tires for it. 

Highway/street tread or mild a/t tread…….nothing aggressive 

i also go with passenger not l/t……..flex more when airing down 

6 mins ago, MitchellNJ said:

Toyo Open Country AT's are all I will ever buy

This is what I went with for my Suzuki Samurai...

Butch

2 hours ago, MitchellNJ said:

Toyo Open Country AT's are all I will ever buy

Same here. I’m on my third set of AT II. My only complaint is they get a little loud when worn. I was looking for something that was an AT but a little less aggressive for the wife’s 4Runner and got Goodyear Workhorse. They seem decent so far.