NJTramcar

Tire recommendation for sand and daily driving

47 posts in this topic

I have a 2012 Toyota 4Runner SR5 and the tires are showing some wear.

What is a good tire for both the road and the sand?

I think all season radials are fine in the sand... It's more about a wide footprint than it is to have an aggressive tread. 

Posted (edited)

Had stock Bridgestone Duelers All Terrain which were great tires, little pricey but good tires. replaced them with Firestone Destinations All Season with the less aggressive tread which are 

great on the road and have survived the sugar sand of Breezy Point.

....On a Jeep Wrangler

Edited by fishinthedark

Nitto Terra Grappler G2.
Not crazy expensive, quiet enough on the road, when aired down they would barely leave tread marks it the sand on Assateague Island (on my 03 Escalade). 

My new truck (14 Escalade esv) came with General Grabber hts on it which are highway all seasons but are fine in sand also. 

Any tread pattern works when aired down properly. An AT tire is going to give you more protection from punctures though and is what I go with. Tires are stupidly expensive right now. It’s going to be well over $1K for a set of any all terrains. 

I have a 2012 Jeep Liberty. I replaced the Goodyears with Firestone M/S tires. There wearing like iron, and there great on the sand. I air down to 18 psi. All my trucks I ever owned for the beach , never had an agressive tread on them. Reg tread is fine. Plus there quite.

I run Pro Comp A/T Sport 37", they are pretty quiet. Haven't had any issues in the sand and they seem to hold up pretty good, airing down they have a good sidewall protection

Nitto Terra grapplers are good.  Had several sets.

Fav is General grabber ATX. All terrains.  Quiet and smooth on the road and tough

Purchased the Falken Wildpeak A/T3W for my Frontier last year and they work well on the sand and have little to no road noise on pavement.  Seem to be a popular alternative to the BF Goodrich KO2s. 

Posted (edited)

I see a lot of people recommend all terrain tires for sand driving.

Although not bad choice, it's not the greatest choice as well.

All terrain tires have a harder more agressive tread and sharp edges which is designed to dig in dirt when traction is lost.  Not what you want to be doing on the beach sand.

IMO, the best type of tire you can buy for the sand is a highway HT tread tire.  Non-aggressive tread pattern and softer side walls which will allow you to increase the surface area of your tire when airing down. 

You want to be floating on top of sand, not digging into it.

Edited by DEM Parking Lot

People way over think tires and beach driving. Get any decent tire, air down, don't drive like a dick on the beach and you'll be fine.

10 hours ago, jgallagher3 said:

Purchased the Falken Wildpeak A/T3W for my Frontier last year and they work well on the sand and have little to no road noise on pavement.  Seem to be a popular alternative to the BF Goodrich KO2s. 

57 mins ago, Stryper Snyper said:

So far I'm impressed with my falken wildpeak tires.  

Theres always a couple of sharpies in every thread, these two didn't miss, worth the look and the savings. Have had nothing but good experience with about 4 sets of Falkens, wouldn't hesitate to buy set #5.