norcalkat

Striper Survey from F&W

Rate this topic

17 posts in this topic

Funny... I got 4 separate e-mails asking me to fill out the survey.  I only filled out one.

It is curious that they asked if I belonged to any professional fishing organization... I guess not all responses will be weighted equally.

I'm curious what sizes you guys suggest for upper and lower end of a slot limit? Maybe something like 18-30" and limit is one fish?

I suggested 25" to 35".  

My thoughts are a female matures at 24"-28"  So it gives us at least a chance of one guaranteed spawn from a female.  Males max out most of the time around 38"  and out populate the females 8-1.  So if you keep one in that range most likely it will be a male.  Meanwhile the fish over 35" are kept to improve our population.  Females do not spawn every year, they have cycles of 2-3 years.  So the older fish are key because they can produce 2-4 times more eggs than a mature 24"  

here is a little tidbit for you guys, do you know why the Ca. Halibut legal size is 22"?  Females mature at 21" so it at least guarantees one spawn.   

Thanks--OK done. I suggested *one* fish per day within the slot min and max sizes. 

Thanks for posting this!  I agree we should raise the min size, have slot limit, and 1 fish per day is good; we need to help Striper populations survive!

Posted (edited)

23 hours ago, norcalkat said:

I suggested 25" to 35".  

My thoughts are a female matures at 24"-28"  So it gives us at least a chance of one guaranteed spawn from a female.  Males max out most of the time around 38"  and out populate the females 8-1.  So if you keep one in that range most likely it will be a male.  Meanwhile the fish over 35" are kept to improve our population.  Females do not spawn every year, they have cycles of 2-3 years.  So the older fish are key because they can produce 2-4 times more eggs than a mature 24"  

here is a little tidbit for you guys, do you know why the Ca. Halibut legal size is 22"?  Females mature at 21" so it at least guarantees one spawn.   

Nothing is guaranteed

Edited by moocks

Yea that would work as well Dave.  If I wanted a 100% guaranteed spawn probably would have to push it up to 28”, but also have to be realistic on that extreme of a change out here.  I do not see them going that extreme off the bat.  Any change in a slot form would be a win and a step in the right direction, and we could always amend the regulations to improve.  We haven’t had any regulatory changes in 30+ years, meanwhile the fisherman/tackle/ knowledge has improved drastically.  

Okay all you knowledgeable wizards.................If you speak at the slot limit meeting  who are we speaking to?  What are their credentials etc..... How do they relay/communicate everything we present to their superiors/Fish & Wildlife commission?  Do they take notes? Is everything we say recorded?  How is all this valuable input documented?   On Monday I will try contact F & W's PIO  & see what they have to say.....Mike

15 hours ago, Mike Fixter said:

Okay all you knowledgeable wizards.................If you speak at the slot limit meeting  who are we speaking to?   At the meeting, the public is invited to ask questions of both CDFW and the Nor Cal-Guides and Sportsmen’s Association.  What are their credentials etc..... They are Guides who depend on Stripers for income. and the dummys that make fishing in California such a pain in the ars.  How do they relay/communicate everything we present to their superiors/Fish & Wildlife commission?  The same way as when you want to communicate with your state representatives.   Do they take notes?  No everything is already decided so no notes needed.   Is everything we say recorded?  Yup and your name and address too.  How is all this valuable input documented?  A person in Pakistan recording it onto a stone tablet.    On Monday I will try contact F & W's PIO  & see what they have to say.....Mike You would have a better chance of catching a 20" perch at Pescadero

Good luck

If they cant figure the formula out, I relied on New York and Massachusetts regulations as the best guide.