fishinthedark

North Shore Guys tide height

Rate this topic

14 posts in this topic

I am at the western most part of the sound and I am versed in our tides and their sometime extreme fluctuations.

This isn't political so lets leave that out of this, but have you guys noticed that the low tides aren't getting as low as they have in the past, especially on these moon tides?

Yes I know the moon's pull is more extreme at other times of the year, But I recall where we would have negative tide numbers on a low moon tide and areas that I could walk on dry areas now have water at

the lowest stages of the tides. Also seeing tides over 9 feet at high would occur occasionally now 10 feet plus is the new threshold for highest of high tides. 

Winds have been normal i.e. no sustained east winds to keep water in the sound.

Thoughts?

And here I thought our highs have been "higher" so maybe the pull isn't as strong but the push is making up for it. The other morning was two hours pre high and rocks I'd normally see cresting were already buried. Western Suffolk county NS 

3 mins ago, brushfly said:

And here I thought our highs have been "higher" so maybe the pull isn't as strong but the push is making up for it. The other morning was two hours pre high and rocks I'd normally see cresting were already buried. Western Suffolk county NS 

Yup so it’s not just me 

same here rocks I could walk to at low tide covered with 1/3 stage of tide water.

I am fishing this bowl that is hemmed in by a large rock out cropping/ small island at one end is the open sound at the other is a reef like ridge of rock

That on these low moon tides 

I could walk across in barely ankle deep water.

This spot was/is an ambush point usually for the first 11/2 hours of the beginning of the flood until water rose enough that the bass could swim up over the ridge.

I get there now and there is more than enough water at dead low for the bass to get thru…. Fishing this spot for almost 20 years and never ever recall the tides being like this.

…..

Posted (edited)

This is from The KingsPoint NOAA tide charts, this is what they said the should be.

Kings point is just East of the ThrogsNeck Bridge on the eastern side of Little Neck Bay.

As you can see nothing even approaches the 10 foot high tide mark and it has some negative tides.

These negative tides normally coincide with moon low tides and these are the times that I can walk to certain spot ,now

I have to wade out to

The first day starting on the left is July 7 the last day on the right is July 28

July'sTide.PNG

Edited by fishinthedark

Posted (edited)

This is from the tide chart on my phone which is more reflective

of what I am actually seeing out there.

10 foot plus high tides and low tides that are 2 feet higher than they should be.

What seems  to be “ the same” 

the height of the tides ( the difference in feet between high and low.)

what are you guys seeing out there?

97C7262F-0161-4031-B29A-7E8D52DA05AE.png

Edited by fishinthedark

Hi Brian, I look at the tides 4 fishing coefficient data. Their monthly chart for the western Sound may be helpful to track and gauge extreme tides.

543F521A-D8DD-4DE8-A98E-E2DD84C321A6.jpeg

Posted (edited)

2 hours ago, cheech said:

Hi Brian, I look at the tides 4 fishing coefficient data. Their monthly chart for the western Sound may be helpful to track and gauge extreme tides.

543F521A-D8DD-4DE8-A98E-E2DD84C321A6.jpeg

Thanks Frank… just trying to understand why it is, you have been fishing the western sound as long as me … just never seen it like it is .. will check out that site…

Edited by fishinthedark

Posted (edited)

This place never ceases to amaze me.  Ive noticed the same thing. 

But I always thought I was crazy because I was using the spreadsheets from NOAA and assumed MLLW was accurate.  I just downloaded that Tide app, saw the option to switch to other tide datums and LAT lines up with some of my underlined wtf log notes.

Doesn't answer the question but a big light bulb for me.   I still can't explain most of the tide and current patterns between the sound and bight. there's gotta be some clues in the different predictions from MLLW, LAT and the others.

Edited by Bait Tailer

I have very limited experience fishing the western sound and never realized the tide heights were so high on that end of the island. I was a South Shore and Montauk guy most of my 50+ years fishing the beach and those tides were 2.5ft to 3.5ft on average.

For the last 6 years I live on the North Fork. The high tide range for the Sound out this way is approximately the same 2.5 to 3.5 feet. That's a pretty significant difference. I learned something today, thanks. 

15 hours ago, Leifg said:

I have very limited experience fishing the western sound and never realized the tide heights were so high on that end of the island. I was a South Shore and Montauk guy most of my 50+ years fishing the beach and those tides were 2.5ft to 3.5ft on average.

I get about the same swing in the tidal Hudson River! Montauk does have a slight tide, and it’s different on every side of town.

I think the extreme highs and lows caused by the moon could also be influenced further by any recent tropical storms, the Gulfstream, and the weather. The moon cycles between 222,000 and 252,000 miles from earth. When all these factors line up extreme tides may be a result.

This is an extreme low tide in western LIS, the north shore is in the distance. The red line is an extreme high tide of around 9.5’. The average highs are 6.5-8’.

0D29AC69-601B-487D-BE9B-07944CA56EA5.jpeg

On 7/26/2022 at 0:45 PM, fishinthedark said:

I am at the western most part of the sound and I am versed in our tides and their sometime extreme fluctuations.

This isn't political so lets leave that out of this, but have you guys noticed that the low tides aren't getting as low as they have in the past, especially on these moon tides?

Yes I know the moon's pull is more extreme at other times of the year, But I recall where we would have negative tide numbers on a low moon tide and areas that I could walk on dry areas now have water at

the lowest stages of the tides. Also seeing tides over 9 feet at high would occur occasionally now 10 feet plus is the new threshold for highest of high tides. 

Winds have been normal i.e. no sustained east winds to keep water in the sound.

Thoughts?

Yes I've noticed this as well. Earlier this week I gave it a shot in a western sound spot where typically in years past there would be very little to no water water at that point in the tide. long story short its been a lot of trial and error figuring out the tides depending on time of year and moon phases in this area. spent many days and nights walking with water knee to hip height where there should have been a bare mud flat. other tides you see the full 10-12 ft swing where it comes up quick and dumps out just as fast

Anecdotally, up in mid coast Maine the walkway of our pier gets fully submerged at the king tides.

This pier was built in 70s, is not sinking, and only in the past couple years has this begun happening. A lot of our neighbors face this issue too and when we had the guys from prock come by to take a look at it and consider a timeline for building something taller they told us that this is a very new and common issue.

I've also noticed that the tide doesn't seem to go out as far. I remember as a kid being able to reach certain points walking out in the mud at low tide that no longer appear to exposed but this could be faulty memory.