FallenKell

Alternatives to wire leader

Rate this topic

32 posts in this topic

Just wanted to ask around about alternatives to using wire leaders to deal with toothy fish (like blues).

Anyone use 200-500lb mono? Yeah, you still need to use crimpers for that, but not needing to deal with the wire and possible rusting issues seems like a better decision to me. That said, most of the leader I have seen of that rating is usually black or some other solid color (not translucent/clear like typical mono). Anyone have experience with that in say NJ/NY waters (which are usually a little cloud/murky so I suspect visibility would be limited)?

I have used Surflon with crimps, titanium material or 100lb mono which can be tied.

Posted (edited)

I use 60-80lb leader and just retie when it gets chewed up if bait fishing. if throwing plugs it’s seldom a problem for me as they often hit the back of the plug.

Edited by matt boyer

I use 100 lb mono as a leader for bluefish.

I don’t use wire anymore as I find wire changes the action of the lures I use.

Never had 100 lb mono bitten completely through by a bluefish, even a really big one.

Heavy mono will get damage from multiple large bluefish and it will need to be replaced periodically but it’s quick, easy and cheap to replace.

I use 350 pound mono for shark fishing. 200 is way too big for any bluefish. 500 is just outrageous. For bluefish (or really shad, bluefish are bycatch, I can never seem to catch anything if I target them specifically) I use 30 or 40 pound mono, which is what is on the pre-tied spec rigs. Most of my homemade speck rigs are tied with 30 pound fluoro. The largest bluefish I catch are 10-12 inches, so I don’t bother going heavier than 30. Sometimes I use 8 when targeting the 3-5 inchers on piers just to say I caught something. I want to start trying to catch more blues this year so I got some multi strand wire that I’ll try, but I’ll probably end up using 40-50 pound fluoro. If I get into them thick and in larger sizes I’ll use 80-100.

80# mono which is what I'm usually running in the boulders anyways. The likelihood of bite offs when plugging, especially at night is slim, not unheard of but it's not a problem I usually encounter. Anyone who throws a lot of live eels or soft plastics will tell you that blues usually hit behind the head of the bait. 

I do not change line wt..40-50 mono with 6” of wire . 1 end of wire affixed to mono and the the end with a small ring for hook , the hook moves freely and wire  is easily straightened to keep fishing. Bluefish, barracuda , snapper, grouper. 60 years. No loss of action on top.

Given that you're probablty using circle hooks if fishing with bait, if bass are even a possibility, 100 pound mono should be all that you need; the bluefish will likely be hooked in the jaw, and not constantly gnawing on the leader.  You could probably get away with even lighter leader material when using circles, but 100 gives you a substantial margin for error.

I use 80lb mono.  It's the heaviest that I can reliably knot without going to a crimp.  

Plus it's cheap & easily replaced.  

For my shark rigs I use 400lb mono crimped to the hook.  I've only even had one shark bite through it and I've never had a crimp slip or fail on me.  

Yeah, my main thought was to use in a very similar fashion. Essentially make a 5-6 foot "fish finder" rig, crimping a swivel on one end, a couple beads, a sliding sinker swivel hook, a couple more beads and crimp on a 0/8 or even 0/10 circle hook for used with nice sized pieces of bait. The sliding sinker will let the fish take the bait and run for a little bit before it lets the fish set the circle hook on itself by swimming away after eating it (at least that is the theory), and the thicker line would hold up against most teeth during the initial bite and swallow...

I use 80lb mono for blues. 

For sharks i wont chance strictly mono. 1 foot or wire and then 6ft 200lb mono.

For those of you who are crimping 80 - 100+ monofilament, do you bother putting an anti-chafing coil (?) on the crimped loop, to prevent the mono from being abraded by the hook?

I associate that practice with trolling for big game, but perhaps people are doing it from the shore or surf as well.

16 hours ago, BrianBM said:

For those of you who are crimping 80 - 100+ monofilament, do you bother putting an anti-chafing coil (?) on the crimped loop, to prevent the mono from being abraded by the hook?

I associate that practice with trolling for big game, but perhaps people are doing it from the shore or surf as well.

I do not do that when I am crimping 400lb mono, but if I was trolling for big game I would consider it.  

This is my castable shark rig, essentially a beefed up drum rig.  

C00D61AA-8B30-4546-83B8-18F18EB1C5B8.jpeg

FD8B94DF-6DE1-4764-A9BD-CE9DD22AFAE7.jpeg

I always use 80 when fishing for blues.  Not too bad to tie and rarely have break offs.  I check my leader and knot after each fish and re tie when needed.  I’ve done this with as low as 50 when I don’t have anything else on hand. As long as you check your knot and leader after each fish your usually fine but the occasional break off can happen. I’m usually using cheap lures with blues so the occasional break off isn’t a big deal.