FisherPan

Northeasters | How many different fly lines do you REGULARLY use?

Rate this topic

68 posts in this topic

I've changed my tune on surf lines and heads. I started using 3IPS integrated lines while my buddies used 7IPS, dragging them in the sand. Ten years later, I'm using an intermediate coated running line (repurposed one hand line) with a short fast-sink shooting head on a 12' two-hander.

Good thread here. I'm gonna sit back, crack a cold one and try to keep up.

chair.gif

On 7/26/2022 at 7:05 AM, FisherPan said:

I am starting to get the sense that this community here is ahead of the curve vs fly shops as it pertains to shore work (Surf, inlet, jetties) fishing on the fly. 

You got that right enough. I've heard this forum referenced on *other* forums, usually in regard to the two-hand community here, who are rabidly into fishing the wide open beaches out front.

On 8/5/2022 at 7:38 AM, Mike Oliver said:

Why do so many like a fast sink for the surf. I am puzzled.

Mike

You know this Mike. Because the huge rolling whitewater will push a floating line back at you. But those sinkers are unruly to handle. I've been using intermediate running lines lately. A compromise. 

So much great advice on here guys.  Thank YOU.....

I've gained a lot of lenses (ways of looking at the problem) from the myriad responses and have definitely taken a lot away from this thread to experiment away......

7 hours ago, CaryGreene said:

How are YOU going to fish, whre are YOU going to fish, WHEN and FOR HOW LONG are you going to fish, what are the conditions like, what bait is present, what will the tide be doing...on and on it goes. That's all that matters. 

Thank you @CaryGreen.  Many useful lenses in this post of yours....especially for this beginner.

Posted (edited) · Report post

5 mins ago, FisherPan said:

Thank you @CaryGreen.  Many useful lenses in this post of yours....especially for this beginner.

What line(s) have you gone with so far?

Edited by CaryGreene

Posted (edited) · Report post

2 hours ago, CaryGreene said:

What line(s) have you gone with so far?

I decided not to return the Sonar Saltwater Intermediate they shipped  me accidentally after you mentioned that it too was a good line, so I have one for the Asia trip. 

Still have the titan intermediate on my reel but ordered the Airflo Saltwater Intermediate on your recommendation to see if it is less lumpy.

Reading the many comments on this post, my PERSONAL takeaway is that I will likely want to have a sinking (SA SONAR TITAN INT / SINK 3 / SINK 5)  and a floater (Am thinking ahout the Airflo Saltwater floater if the Intermediate version of same line works for my 9wt Exocett) on spare spools so I am ready for anything.  As a rookie, I figure really need to be moving a lot and fishing a lot of different water and trying a wide range of tactics so I can rapidly collect  a lot of mistakes and "data" to get up and running. 

I don't have my bearings yet in the salt game.  Not having much success (not what I am used to on freshwater)....but will keep testing and learning.  Still waiting on the first "aha", but still in struggling phase.

Edited by FisherPan
Clarification.

11 hours ago, FisherPan said:

I decided not to return the Sonar Saltwater Intermediate they shipped  me accidentally after you mentioned that it too was a good line, so I have one for the Asia trip. 

Still have the titan intermediate on my reel but ordered the Airflo Saltwater Intermediate on your recommendation to see if it is less lumpy.

Reading the many comments on this post, my PERSONAL takeaway is that I will likely want to have a sinking (SA SONAR TITAN INT / SINK 3 / SINK 5)  and a floater (Am thinking ahout the Airflo Saltwater floater if the Intermediate version of same line works for my 9wt Exocett) on spare spools so I am ready for anything.  As a rookie, I figure really need to be moving a lot and fishing a lot of different water and trying a wide range of tactics so I can rapidly collect  a lot of mistakes and "data" to get up and running. 

I don't have my bearings yet in the salt game.  Not having much success (not what I am used to on freshwater)....but will keep testing and learning.  Still waiting on the first "aha", but still in struggling phase.

Sounds like you have a good plan! Time on the water is really a big key, the other piece is learning the tides and playing the low-light conditions. Mainly finding fish is the real key. They're actually very easy to catch, if they're there and feeding. My main suggestion is be willing to move and learn your tides and spots. Visit them at dead low tide. Note the structure.