LB

ON CARBON FIBER WASHERS DO YOU NEED LUBE

Rate this topic

34 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

For the longest time l have been using Japanese felt drag washers on my spinning reels l never had a problem with these washer l have used Teflon base grease with the drag washers drag for over 20 yrs. they stayed smooth thought all the drag settings.

l bough two set of carbon fiber smoothies for my VS reels and l installed them and applied Teflon base grease as l have done in the past, they worked good on lite setting but near higher end they started to pulsate not smooth, so l washed all the grease off the carbon washer reinstall the washer and drag is fine on all the settings.

Are these drag washers meant to be run dry?

Edited by LB

The smooth drag washers yes you do grease but you wipe off the excess. They will only have a very small amount of grease left, very small. Think light film in appearance. 

I’ve  always coated carbon fiber and HT100’s with Cal’s Drag Grease. 

54 mins ago, LB said:

For the longest time l have been using Japanese felt drag washers on my spinning reels l never had a problem with these washer l have used Teflon base grease with the drag washers drag for over 20 yrs. they stayed smooth thought all the drag settings.

l bough two set of carbon fiber smoothies for my VS reels and l installed them and applied Teflon base grease as l have done in the past, they worked good on lite setting but near higher end they started to pulsate not smooth, so l washed all the grease off the carbon washer reinstall the washer and drag is fine on all the settings.

Are these drag meant to be run dry?

Thin layer of Cal's Drag Grease - rub it in. 

I like cals to catch the dust.. Carbon fiber washer dust will chew up your gears as it's very abrasive 

1 hour ago, saltfisherman said:

The smooth drag washers yes you do grease but you wipe off the excess. They will only have a very small amount of grease left, very small. Think light film in appearance. 

That could have been my problem l left to much grease on them, l will try a light coating and see what happens.

Thanks

32 mins ago, LB said:

That could have been my problem l left to much grease on them, l will try a light coating and see what happens.

Thanks

Can't speak to drag washers specifically, but I was always taught that if you can see it, then there's too much grease. This has held true in a number of different applications for me, and has saved me a ton of money on lubricants. 

29 mins ago, Camhabib said:

Can't speak to drag washers specifically, but I was always taught that if you can see it, then there's too much grease. This has held true in a number of different applications for me, and has saved me a ton of money on lubricants. 

How every true, l have dealt with a lot of lubricants in the last 60 years, and like l said always have used Japanese felt washers to get them to work they needed light grease.  

Just massage some Cal's drag grease in with you thumb and forefinger. You don't want any excess, just a coating on both sides.  

3 mins ago, mjonesjr said:

Just massage some Cal's drag grease in with you thumb and forefinger. You don't want any excess, just a coating on both sides.  

l will do that tonight. :th:

6 mins ago, mjonesjr said:

This 100% .  Can't remember the brand but the commercial said "a little dab a do ya".

11 mins ago, Stryper Snyper said:

This 100% .  Can't remember the brand but the commercial said "a little dab a do ya".

BRYLCREEM, A little dab a do ya.

I'm showing my age.!

1 hour ago, recoil said:

I'm showing my age.!

recoil That might work l know it held my hair in place it or may be Alberto V05.

1 hour ago, recoil said:

I'm showing my age.!

Don't feel bad.  I'm 43 and know the whole song.