Size reel for Montauk and block island

Rate this topic

Notaknot

8 hours ago, M A T T A said:

I will be fishing more of Montauk and Block island this fall. I currently set up with a VSX150 on a 10' Lami (mod-fast). Am I going to be underpowered or just fine? Thanks in advance!

You can get buy on this set up.

For M or Block a  200 or 250 would be a better set up IMO.

In either case, get out out there and enjoy.

Wish I was heading out there this fall, go get them!

11 hours ago, LowEnd said:

You can get buy on this set up.

For M or Block a  200 or 250 would be a better set up IMO.

In either case, get out out there and enjoy.

Wish I was heading out there this fall, go get them!

My backup is a Penn battle 3 (6000) on a 11' Air wave elite. This would be a better option? 

What Matta said--mine would be a 132-1M-- VS 250-my custom Crack 300-or my custom Penn 706-in the fall sometimes you get bigger water and stronger winds-at times you have to Punch heavier lures to get more distance--I'm sure you know to bring backup outfits-hope you get into the famous Montauk Blitzes---good luck--rreelman

• 3 weeks later...

Ditto on Pakalolo, you will see everything there when things are humming,which is not always the case, especially when a seal with a head like two linebackers appear. Jerseyites bring 8 foot rods, to guys with 11 + and old honey lami rods. They all get the job done when your blitz fishing. Distance sometimes matters. Crush your barbs and have fun!

On 7/25/2022 at 11:40 AM, M A T T A said:

I will be fishing more of Montauk and Block island this fall. I currently set up with a VSX150 on a 10' Lami (mod-fast). Am I going to be underpowered or just fine? Thanks in advance!

Seems to me to be just right ... light tackle surf fishing with 2 ounce lures. With 40lbs test braid you should  be good to go around the boulder fields. But this is from a guy who likes using fly rods. 

Good luck and Catch a Big One!

RockfishOn!! :cool:

• 3 weeks later...

I had the VS150, 200, and the 275. VS275 was my  favorite for Montauk, Block Island, as well as Cape Cod Canal, mainly because of the faster pickup rate. I also got a number of 200+ lb bluefin tuna on poppers, with the 275,  using 80 lb. braid on a second spool. I went with different color spools to tell them apart quickly. That 150 is a sweet little reel too, as is the 200. Got a bunch of bass over 40 lbs on each of them....

Steve T

Edited by cbchurch

profile pic Penn Squidder, Lami 01166, Atom 40. 1975 or so. My go to for a couple of years when I was a kid.....

You should hope you get a fish to challenge a 150 with the right rod.  I have a 150 and have had no issues with 30lb fish. I agree use what you have and have some back up  Stripers are not like tuna,the runs are a short and after a few runs it's easy. 

I hope you get a fish that tests the capacity if your rig..

Both Montauk and Block have situations where you have to control your fish. If your new to Montauk you’re probably gonna fish the popular spots, they will be crowded if the fish are around. You don’t want to be in a lineup with your fish out of control. M and Block have a lot of rocks and few sand beaches, another reason to go heavier than lighter. 
My go to outfit is a VS 150 and a 9’rod and it’s handled some of my biggest fish. When I go to M and BI I break out the 250 and 10’ rod. Sorta the “bringing a knife to a gun fight” type of scenario. The fish aren’t necessarily bigger at these spots but the conditions are tougher to warrant heavier gear. 

• 2 weeks later...