jetty eddy

Where is all the sand coming from?

Rate this topic

29 posts in this topic

fished southern monmouth county and a local jetty had sand on the south side almost to the end of it!

Forgot to say it was high tide. They may be doing their job but they are getting help from somebody other than mother nature imho.

2 hours ago, jetty eddy said:

Forgot to say it was high tide. They may be doing their job but they are getting help from somebody other than mother nature imho.

Elves?  Trolls?  What's your point?  That's how jettys work.  Are you looking to get a rise out of the anti-beach replenishment people?

Think about it. Hard south every afternoon for a week straight, plus some swell. South to north current begins pumping and carries some sand with it. The current hits jetty, stops and drops the sand. That’s why it’s there. Next swell it will be gone. That’s the glory of jetty country, it’s always changing. Just go to the next jetty.

3 hours ago, jetty eddy said:

made a mistake. north side is sanded in.

I was wondering if you meant the North side.  That is how a jetty works as mr mr mentioned.  Nothing abnormal about it.  

5 hours ago, jetty eddy said:

made a mistake. north side is sanded in.

If you look at that jetty on the South side there is a big hump of sand on the beach caused by the south winds blowing sand; at high tides, particularly during new/full moon with a S/SE blow water rushes over at hump and the jetty depositing copious amounts of sand where the N jetty pocket once ways. Reverses itself over the winter. 

5 hours ago, suntzu said:

If you look at that jetty on the South side there is a big hump of sand on the beach caused by the south winds blowing sand; at high tides, particularly during new/full moon with a S/SE blow water rushes over at hump and the jetty depositing copious amounts of sand where the N jetty pocket once ways. Reverses itself over the winter. 

That is really, really good stuff. I think many people, myself included, think of the sand being pushed into a pocket and filling in for lack of better terms... not carried up and over during moon tides along with a blow.

If it's from beach replenishment  probably from China. Because like most everything else from there it doesn't work or last.

I have a picture of this on my phone but don’t want to post to “spot burn”.  I’ve never seen it like this where it’s piled up on the North side of the jetty. 

3 hours ago, Basswiper said:

That is really, really good stuff. I think many people, myself included, think of the sand being pushed into a pocket and filling in for lack of better terms... not carried up and over during moon tides along with a blow.

It definitely didn’t go up and over this jetty if it’s the same one I’m seeing. Possibly wrapped around and sucked in with an incoming tide but it’s bad bad. 

Posted (edited)

13 hours ago, jrzyripper said:

It definitely didn’t go up and over this jetty if it’s the same one I’m seeing. Possibly wrapped around and sucked in with an incoming tide but it’s bad bad. 

We did just come off the largest moon of the year.  Bigger tides than we will see for the rest of 2022.  

Edited by fishless

35 mins ago, fishless said:

We did just come off the largest moon of the year.  Bigger tides than we will see for the rest of 2023.  

Is it 2023 already?

14 mins ago, Spigola said:

Is it 2023 already?

Gosh darn it, I plugged the wrong return date into my time travel machine again.