patfont

Many looking to move to the new Van Staal VSX2, am I wrong?

Rate this topic

36 posts in this topic

They’re continuing service on the old models so no need to switch. Although I did just order a ZX-27 to see how they compare. 

My thoughts on the new VSX2 release are similar to that of @Ba Ba Buoy

I've been waiting before I pull the trigger on a VSX 150 to see the new X2. I've heard good things from someone who handled them. I'll probably pull the trigger now but with the price increase it kinds of puts me in ZB territory by default.... and I guess shouldn't that be the comparison we're all debating? 

On 7/25/2022 at 0:29 PM, LB said:

The reel should be fine they keep the best feature of the VSX the gearing, extra handle length was a plus, clutch bearing moved to pinion plus, the Skirted spool l can take it or leave it, there keeping up with the times :th:

Good summary!

Nope! I’ll stick with what works. My VSX 200. I’ll keep pounding it. It catches fish and does everything I need it to.

in regards to z bass, I really can’t understand how anyone backs them. A slight splash of sand locks up the drag and it’s unusable until opened up, taken under fresh water, and re oiled. Not sure how that’s considered a sealed reel.

the VS/VSX is an unstoppable force. Why buy anything else?

summer doldis have hit big time. Can’t ya tell? 
:howdy:

48 mins ago, CLFish5 said:

in regards to z bass, I really can’t understand how anyone backs them. A slight splash of sand locks up the drag and it’s unusable until opened up, taken under fresh water, and re oiled. Not sure how that’s considered a sealed reel.

I agree that the gen 1 ZB's had the sand problem due to the holes in the drag cap, but ZeeBaaS  fixed that years ago.

Posted (edited)

1 hour ago, recoil said:

I agree that the gen 1 ZB's had the sand problem due to the holes in the drag cap, but ZeeBaaS  fixed that years ago.

I hear ya but fixed schmixed man! The reel claimed to be sealed, sold for a lot of money and wasn’t. Now it’s fixed and ya gotta pay 1200+ and wait forever. No thank you lol

Edited by CLFish5

2 hours ago, CLFish5 said:

I hear ya but fixed schmixed man! The reel claimed to be sealed, sold for a lot of money and wasn’t. Now it’s fixed and ya gotta pay 1200+ and wait forever. No thank you lol

I can only speak for myself, but when it comes to quality, some things are worth the cost and the wait!

5 hours ago, CLFish5 said:

Nope! I’ll stick with what works. My VSX 200. I’ll keep pounding it. It catches fish and does everything I need it to.

You live in the past. This issue was solved over 10 years ago… I own a bunch of VS and VSX and a single ZB for about 8 or 9 years. My ZB is always my first choice when I go swimming…I just serviced it after 18 months, not a drop of water went in. So have some respect to a quality reel and a quality company. And if you love your VSX perhaps you can call VanStaal and tell them that the service kit is not on the shelves of any store for over two years…maybe they will listen to you and do something about it. 

3 mins ago, levari said:

You live in the past. This issue was solved over 10 years ago… I own a bunch of VS and VSX and a single ZB for about 8 or 9 years. My ZB is always my first choice when I go swimming…I just serviced it after 18 months, not a drop of water went in. So have some respect to a quality reel and a quality company. And if you love your VSX perhaps you can call VanStaal and tell them that the service kit is not on the shelves of any store for over two years…maybe they will listen to you and do something about it. 

Good for you. I don’t consider it a quality reel or company

Both reel companies are top notch, ZB can't make reels or service them in a timely manner because of a part shortage, VS has no service kits, so what else is new, l buy spear parts when they are available if it's a reel l plan on keeping you should have spare parts on hand, if you can't service your own reel then you're at the mercy of the company.

Personally I would wait 2-3 seasons to see if some kind of issue isn't in the new design... Never pay to be the beta tester, it should be the other way around.

Am I looking to add the new VSX to my Arsenal? Well, that depends.

I will probably wait a bit, and hear of any negative comments on here. Would be nice if ol Scooby does a break down, but I’m pretty sure his review break down video days are gone.

Honestly the original VR had a lot of negative comments, however my first gen 50, and 150 have not really had much issue. Really put the 50 last weekend to the test while

mistakenly hooking a very large ray. 

Funny thing Pure Fishing Van Staal web site still does not have the VSX2 on it, what's up with that?

All the tackle sellers have the info up?

My existing van staals work great. I don’t have a need. That said, I would look at them if I needed a new reel.