Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Wishing I was Fishing

Fish with plugs

Rate this topic

8 posts in this topic

I'm sure many of you guys have broken fish off with your plug still in the fishes mouth. I know I have, especially lately. Damn bluefish are killing my inventory of pencil poppers.

On rare occasions the fish has been able to throw the plug itself. When this happens you can actually see the fish trying to spit the plug by rolling around on the surface of the water. One time a friend was even able to "catch" his fish bearhanded a second time as it rolled on the surface.

My point/question is have any of you caught a fish with a plug still in its mouth? Or on its body? I can remember catching numerous bluefish with hooks still in them but never a plug. I wonder if having a plug in their mouth dooms them. Or does the hook rust out fast enough that the fish survives relativelt unharmed?

What are your thoughts?

Caught one last year with a chicken scratch bomber stuck tight in its mouth and side. My plug actually got snagged in the 20 yards or so of line that was tangled all around its body.

Judging by the condition of the hooks and line, it must have been swimming around like that for quite a while. Poor thing was a mess, skinny and cut up from the line.

I cleaned him up and let him go. Out of all the fish I've released, he's the one I most hope survived.

This year I had one with a large wildeyes stuck inside his Stomach. The plug looked like it had been snaped off and had sunk to the bottom in the surf. The plug's tail must of been wiggling while the lure sat on the bottom so he took it. The fish sucked the wildeyes in and it had hooked itself inside his gut. I landed the fish with a pencil popper, he was thin but was still feeding. So who knows if it was causing him trouble. The wildeyes must of been in for awhile because the surface was rough and the eyes were worn. I have it hanging on my porch and it smells like cured salmon roe. Bassmaster tried to ho it from me and I thought he was kidding but now I am wondering if he wanted it because it was now scented.

Not that it has happened very often to me, but I always feel awful when I break off a fish whether it be on a plug, fly or bait frown.gif . I gotta' figure that it probably dooms most fish especially when its a 6" Bomber with 2 trebles.

I caught a bass last year at night on a plug and the fish had a hook in him and he was dragging a 3 ounce pyramid sinker. He definitley deserved his release.