Camhabib

Surprising fishing myths and truths

Rate this topic

48 posts in this topic

For the old timers who have seen it all, as well as the beginners (like myself) just getting into fishing, I’d love to know what are some of the “facts” that wound up being myths and visa versa? 

12 mins ago, srm413 said:

mine was bigger than yours?  ....sorry.

Is that a surprising truth or myth? 

Fluoro is more abrasion resistant than mono, snook/tarpon cut leader with their gil plates, big baits only catch monsters

Myth- Spanish and Albies are leader shy. 
I use 50lb mono leader all the time. 

6 hours ago, Snook_Slayr said:

Fluoro is more abrasion resistant than mono, snook/tarpon cut leader with their gil plates, big baits only catch monsters

People say snook and tarpon cut leader with their gills? I thought the heavy leader for them was because of how rough their mouths are, never heard about their gill plates.

I have a funny story about the big bait big fish theory... I was on a beach in southwestern florida and I was doing some sharking with a 10/0 circle and a massive chunk of mullet... I start getting a bite and I reel it in and on my hook is a jack, no bigger than 7 inches... nice little surprise for an otherwise slow trip. Don’t even know how it got the hook in its mouth. But it was a good set, right in the corner of its mouth. They have an appetite haha.

Lordie…there are so many mis-truths in fishing it boggles the mind….

One of my favorites …….you don’t need to cast far as fish are always at your feet

Posted (edited)

6 mins ago, FISH BUCKET said:

Lordie…there are so many mis-truths in fishing it boggles the mind….

One of my favorites …….you don’t need to cast far as fish are always at your feet

I always laugh when I see someone go charging directly into the water to try and cast to the bar with their first cast

I always make my first few few right along the edge, then go charging out.

Same goes for lakes and largemouth

Edited by Sudsy

@Sudsy stole mine -  not for nothing but fish are quite often right at your feet and I fish the same way.  

One other for me is that you have to fish a high or moving tide.  Some of my best fish have come on 'off' tides and more than a few at the very bottom of them.  Knowing your waters and finding bait will often find you success regardless of where you are in the tide cycle.  

One that really hung on was that bass don't eat poppers at night. They do :)

White only works during the day was another one. There were many of them back in the 80's when I started bass fishing...almost all of them were nonsense...bass do a lot of things people said they wouldn't :) 

7 mins ago, pressphotog said:

and more than a few at the very bottom

I'd rather fish a falling tide right to the bottom than a rising tide to the top ALMOST all of the time :)