Capt.Castafly

RI Fish Report Blog. July 25 - July 31

Rate this topic

36 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

So technically was in the sound but got out on a friends boat yesterday and hit plum gut. Pretty slow afternoon but somehow caught a 21" fluke while jigging a maja spoon in about 60ft of water so that was something. Didnt find any bass but massive schools of gator blues showed up on the surface in the late afternoon. Ended up taking the hooks off a small spook and just watching blow ups after wrestling a few into the boat.

Water was a warm 72 degrees.

Edited by AClarke

Went out front on Wednesday. Saw the chub mackerel doing their surface thing and picked one off on a hogy heavy jig when they came in range. Really big mackerel, a thicc Chubb. A blitz popped off as I was about to leave, turned out to be mostly shad with some small bass mixed in. On tiny peanut bunker(?) like the size of my thumb nail. I eventually hooked what I thought was going to be a really nice bass, but turned out to be a huge bluefish. Dipped out for a spot a little further up the coast when it got dark. Some small bass around, got hit plenty of times, but couldn't keep them pinned. Lots of other surfcasters out there. Stay off my rock! :D 

2 hours ago, BadMojo said:

Offshore has been Awesome! Not too far off block island.  Spinning gear, jigs and rubber 

The amount of whales and dolphins and life is crazy. 

0E260FD5-C146-4B0E-B2A3-B9A823DFF184.png

6F0658B0-A0EC-4538-B359-5771672391A5.png

82203E20-A667-412E-8D19-58A1884B3AD4.png

NICE!!!

A guy caught a Cobia this morning from shore out front. I saw the pics. Fish was 32" according to a witness. It was caught on a jig with a skirt and curly tail. 

1 hour ago, Gansettcaster said:

A guy caught a Cobia this morning from shore out front. I saw the pics. Fish was 32" according to a witness. It was caught on a jig with a skirt and curly tail. 

Nice. I heard that they’ve been catching them in Jersey, and I was wondering if any would make it up here. 

Out front in kayak, large schools of bass feeding on top Saturday afternoon. I was convinced they were mackerel the way they acted, slurping on top, loud rushing noise as they moved around.  Pretty sure they were eating tiny peanut bunker. Chased them around for a couple hours, tried all kinds of small lures but eventually just gave up, futile.

Perhaps a captain casting flies could do something with them. 

Kayak rolled in the surf coming in, wasn't pretty but no harm and nothing lost.

When they form those “mats” of fish slurping on surface they seem impossible to catch

On 7/30/2022 at 8:10 AM, BadMojo said:

Offshore has been Awesome! Not too far off block island.  Spinning gear, jigs and rubber 

The amount of whales and dolphins and life is crazy. 

0E260FD5-C146-4B0E-B2A3-B9A823DFF184.png

6F0658B0-A0EC-4538-B359-5771672391A5.png

82203E20-A667-412E-8D19-58A1884B3AD4.png

God I miss being out there.  I've been thinking about this post all damn night.  

Slow morning for me, lots of silversides around not many fish. Managed an 8lb blue. Plugged J/Town with no luck. 

I was out with family today, the amount of small bay anchovies up in the bay is crazy. And the amount of 3” Black Sea bass 

Good day yesterday with my son on flippin out charters. Live lining sea robins around west ferry.

PXL_20220730_185723771.MP.jpg

PXL_20220730_184409502.jpg

11 hours ago, striper pat said:

Out front in kayak, large schools of bass feeding on top Saturday afternoon. I was convinced they were mackerel the way they acted, slurping on top, loud rushing noise as they moved around.  Pretty sure they were eating tiny peanut bunker. Chased them around for a couple hours, tried all kinds of small lures but eventually just gave up, futile.

Perhaps a captain casting flies could do something with them. 

Kayak rolled in the surf coming in, wasn't pretty but no harm and nothing lost.

I've been seeing them like this for a few days now in a couple of spots. 1/2 inch menhaden washed up. They are intested in nothing else. Even the fly fisherman are pulling their hair out.