Capt.Castafly

RI Fish Report Blog. July 25 - July 31

Rate this topic

36 posts in this topic

The fish blog was created as a common communal gathering place to share and report weekly fishing activity. Having this information in one thread benefits those who greatly use this RI forum and ply our local waters. The premise is to gather all weekly reports into one common portal, thus making it easy to access, view and add your own fish reports.   This is the fifth year for this type of approach. Post your success or skunks, either way, black or white, zero to hero, let us all know if the bite is good or bad.  Fresh, factual information is one of the best sources of Intel we have at our disposal to predict where the better fishing will be tomorrow.  

More continuous hot weather coming up this week, this intense heat wave continues to linger around.

I've canceled a few charter trips the last week, maybe this week too?

It's not that it's dangerous seas, high winds on the ocean, I'm more concern about my older clients health and risks being out in the sun in plus 90 degree temperatures with no cover.

Everyone's electric bill will be sky high next payment period. Yikes!   

Posted (edited)

It will be interesting to see if the high temps and lack of rain result in higher water temperatures and an earlier arrival of bonito and albies.

Edited by fishinbill

I saw on a different forum that a beach on cape cod had 81 degree water!  BRING ON THE KING MACKEREL, REDFISH AND TARPON 

Conimicut is showing 80.8 degrees as of last reading and Newport at 75.  Thats a big jump in temps

4 hours ago, Schooner Fred said:

I am getting nervous about water warm enough to support a hurricane.

It'll be very strong if it comes at us when we don't have cold water to calm them down.

2 hours ago, turkaholic said:

We are WAY overdue, unfortunately 

Shhhh! Just be quiet already!

We ARE going to have a good albie season and there WILL NOT be any big storms to screw that up.

Personal best fluke today 60’ of water chartreuse 4oz jig white 6” gulp with Z tsunami glow teaser 4  “ white gulp

6 hours ago, Quonnie said:

Personal best fluke today 60’ of water chartreuse 4oz jig white 6” gulp with Z tsunami glow teaser 4  “ white gulp

No pics?

Got up, went to the cut at 3:30 with my fly rod only to see a line of 85 monster sport fishing boats gathering in the channel for an offshore tournament. Cost of diesel doesn’t bother these fellas much it seems. What a racket they make. Send off at 5 am. Got one bass while they idled in the channel about 15 pounds. What a surprise both the bass and the boats.

Hi all, would anybody mind giving an ex-Westerly guy a tip or two on where to take some friends surfcasting (they're visiting from Texas). Long story short, I lived in Westerly until I was 25 and while I've unfortunately moved away, there's just no way I'm bringing my brother-in-law and his wife out to my normal sports when they're new and unprepared. I'd love to take them out a night or two next week but honestly I'm not totally sure where to take them. If somebody wouldn't mind I'd love to pick your brain (over DM of course) about some beginner friendly places where I might have some luck taking these two.  It's their first time seeing where I grew up and I'd love to see them experience surfcasting. Thanks in advance, and sorry for adding another NY plate to the mix next week.  They truly are the most awful license plates in the country.

-Andrew

Caught some nice slot sized fish plugging lower bay islands this am. Mid bay water was 75 deg and lower was 71 deg. No luck with fluke....

Technically MA but very close to RI. Fished small estuary last night. Picked up a low slot and three other bass around low 20" area. All in about 1/2 hour on the high turn. Stayed longer but nothing else going on. Maybe I caught all the fish that were there:)

The results were much better than I was anticipating. Nice night too.