ReidDavis

Sharks with a Penn Senator 14/0

Rate this topic

5 posts in this topic

I have just recently purchased two older Penn senator 14/0. Is there any difference between the old ones and the newer ones? Also I was planning on spooling them with 400 yards of 150 pound power pro and the rest with 150 pound mono. Unless I can do 130# braid and 150# mono for extra capacity ?Should I have more or less braid and is power pro a good brand? Also would you go heavier or lighter on the lines?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Old vs new, old has the slightly larger chrome spool, new has black anodized spool. They are both about the same internally. These reels have not changed much at all. Both are highly effective and proven. Tank of a reel. Line size sounds good. I’d suggest to put on enough top shot for your longest drop. So if you only plan to do about 300 yard drops, for example, then put on about 300 yard top shot. That way, much easier and cost effective to change out relative to nicks and scrapes or even snags, which will all happen more often than not. Hope this helps. 

Used 9/0 to 12/0 for sharks in the keys for a long time with no issues , that was pre braid years when I used Irish linen line in 120 lb. From US Line Co.

Make sure your reels have the new upgraded carbon fiber drag stacks, not the obsolete and inferior plastic ones. 

Epic reel. I want another myself. Mine was taped at about 100lbs of drag, pulled smooth. I've got 2500 yards of 130lb hollow core and 100 of 200lb mono, has tons of room still.

Plenty of large lemons to practice on off 305.

They congregate under the inshore sargassum mats. Perhaos spawning.

I counted 8 sharks on Thursday around the mats within 20 yards of the sand. The largest one was about 8ft long.

Good luck with the Rigs!