Luv2na

New Van Staal VS200 and VSB50 at ICast

Rate this topic

54 posts in this topic

Just now, marty_mccarty said:

Lil duct tape and jb weld she'll be alright 

It’d take more than that to make those reel stem/bodies one piece!

6 mins ago, Slack Tidings said:

It’d take more than that to make those reel stem/bodies one piece!

Vs made them that way mostly, but they made a run of 1 piece bodies more than 10 years ago 

msg-12592-0-54375700-1460676844_thumb.jpg

msg-12592-0-15848600-1460676931_thumb.jpg

msg-12592-0-69413900-1460676886_thumb.jpg

5 mins ago, marty_mccarty said:

Vs made them that way mostly, but they made a run of 1 piece bodies more than 10 years ago 

msg-12592-0-54375700-1460676844_thumb.jpg

msg-12592-0-15848600-1460676931_thumb.jpg

msg-12592-0-69413900-1460676886_thumb.jpg

Nice! And strange. Wonder why they didn’t continue that until this latest series….

5 mins ago, Slack Tidings said:

Nice! And strange. Wonder why they didn’t continue that until this latest series….

I know, it's weird, I was surprised when the VSX came out that it had the screw on stems because this 150 I have was one of the last of the regular VS production runs it seemed like they were going to switch to that style.... Seems like it would be cheaper to produce.

Maybe they held off because so many people started to want to switch to the longer stems from the VSB?

Also, I'm very embarrassed how clean my real looks in those pictures when it was new, it's been through some battles since then

Posted (edited)

35 mins ago, Slack Tidings said:

6FEE3371-3C1C-43D0-8E75-05732AB48ECE.jpeg

What is the likelihood, given that you would expect the plastic on the seat to break before the aluminum on the reel, that this was caused by a defect in material, rather than in the design? Pretty wild either way.

Edited by Camhabib

Just now, marty_mccarty said:

I know, it's weird, I was surprised when the VSX came out that it had the screw on stems because this 150 I have was one of the last of the regular VS production runs it seemed like they were going to switch to that style.... Seems like it would be cheaper to produce.

Maybe they held off because so many people started to want to switch to the longer stems from the VSB?

Also, I'm very embarrassed how clean my real looks in those pictures when it was new, it's been through some battles since then

Much better design IMO. The less parts the better. Probably far from common but there’s unequivocal evidence that it can.

Posted (edited)

9 mins ago, Camhabib said:

What is the likelihood, given that you would expect the plastic on the seat to break before the aluminum on the reel, that this was caused by a defect in material, rather than in the design?

I’m gonna say it was caused by those screws loosening slowly over time. It was never moving around on the stem until it broke off on a big fish in big current…..this was about 7 years ago and that’s a late USA reel.

Edited by Slack Tidings

I’m also pretty sure an adult could hang from a fugi ergo reel seat no problem but the stem of the 2 piece VS?…..not so much.

Name is on the list for four VSX2150 reels when they are out excited!

Just now, Luv2na said:

Name is on the list for four VSX2150 reels when they are out excited!

Gold VSX2150

5 hours ago, Luv2na said:

Gold VSX2150

They should sell a limited edition jewel encrusted vs150. Guaranteed sale of at least 750 units at $7500 a piece.

On 7/29/2022 at 1:17 PM, Slack Tidings said:
On 7/29/2022 at 0:52 PM, marty_mccarty said:

My vs150 (sn 28xxx) has a 1 piece body/stem construction I think I bought it about 10 years ago

I was actually annoyed because at one point I wanted to switch to the longer stem but can't

That’s weird, because I’ve literally had the reel break off the stem on a big fish….I believe it’s 2 or three screws holding it on.

What is showing up on the reel that was posted was total neglect the stem has been losing up for a while and the stem has been wearing into the body, there had to be some indication that screws were loose.

Part B has been rubbings into part A the stem, the stem won't move but the body will this has been going on for a while it wasn't an overnight thing. There is a lot of Corrosion around the screws and where two parts have been rubbing what happened there has been brewing for a while.

62e5ec4c4efd6_VSREEL4.jpeg.9b0507dcb15aaccef8a67e78b4215282.jpeg

Yes, that is not the first time that this has happened but once again it's not something that's going to happen overnight.

l have a two screw reel VS100 my reel is 25 years old and l bought it new and it was fished hard over that time spam.

They will hold up with a little TLC.

4 hours ago, LB said:

What is showing up on the reel that was posted was total neglect the stem has been losing up for a while and the stem has been wearing into the body, there had to be some indication that screws were loose.

Part B has been rubbings into part A the stem, the stem won't move but the body will this has been going on for a while it wasn't an overnight thing. There is a lot of Corrosion around the screws and where two parts have been rubbing what happened there has been brewing for a while.

62e5ec4c4efd6_VSREEL4.jpeg.9b0507dcb15aaccef8a67e78b4215282.jpeg

Yes, that is not the first time that this has happened but once again it's not something that's going to happen overnight.

l have a two screw reel VS100 my reel is 25 years old and l bought it new and it was fished hard over that time spam.

They will hold up with a little TLC.

Wrong. Exactly zero indication that this was going to happen before it did. No play whatsoever in preceding days and the reel had been taken care of. If memory serves, serviced earlier that year FYI.

2 hours ago, Slack Tidings said:

Wrong. Exactly zero indication that this was going to happen before it did. No play whatsoever in preceding days and the reel had been taken care of. If memory serves, serviced earlier that year FYI.

Here is my opinion:

It is unlikely that two fasteners with no previous sign of being loose backed out while on a fish. I have seen these fasteners come loose. 

Steel beats aluminum 365 days a year. Were the screws over tightened into the reel foot damaging the threads allowing for catastrophic failure later?