LeBob

Daiwa Lexa TW 400

Rate this topic

10 posts in this topic

Got a Daiwa Lexa TW 400 today, so small & smooth. It feels and looks great compared to ABU 6000 varients. A power-handle ABU 6000 weighs about the same as the Lexa TW. I've fished ABU conventionals for a few decades on the gulf, with and without levelwind. All of mine have bearing, mag, and other upgrades. I'm excited to surfcast the Lexa TW tomorrow on a 13' LDX and maybe an 11' Cabelas Predator 2 1/4lb using pendulum and overhead casts.

I ordered both the Lexa HD and TW to compare. The TW version is smaller/lighter, free-spools much better, and has the T-Wing system that sparked my interest. Anyone else surfcast a Lexa TW model? This is my first post, been following this forum for years. My next move is to update rods.

I have 4 diawa low profiles I surf fish the pensacola area.  3 300 size and 1 400 size. I have a love /hate relationship with them. The 2 lexas I use every trip are nice reels, one is almost 8 years old, been torn down and cleaned twice a year. the other one is fairly new HD ,great reel. the 3rd 300 size is tatula,with that fancy level wind. I have been to the field often to practice  and test different set ups. In my opinion the TW level wind does nothing, gives  daiwa  a reason to up the price. The mag adjuster is very hard to turn makes the mags almost useless, that thing is back in the box  on a high shelf in the garage.

As for the 400 size reel,I was happy with it till a pelican pulled it out of the rod holder and into the shore pound. sand and salt water every where. Had to completly disassemble and clean,including the mag unit. If this ever happens to you send it back to daiwa, that mag set up is a nightmare to work on 

Don't bother centering the level wind ,waste of time. these are not synchronized level winds and won't cost you a lot of distance.

My main compliant  with these reels are the mag adjusters they are just hard to adjust . The 2 times I have had to get replacment parts daiwa didn't have them. kind of a long wait.

The good about these reels is they cast great. I think the mags do a great job of controlling spool speed. you can go from very fast ,edge of disaster to a beginer can't backlash it.

great drag system, you can haul some mean fish out of there.

the bad is is turning the mag  adjuster, just a pita to make it turn and get in the right place and trying to find parts.

Posted (edited)

I did some fishing and soccer field comparisons with the Daiwa Lexa TW 400 and an Abu C4 6600 level-wind with most of the mods: Daiwa Lexa TW 400 spooled with 20lb braid (I don't know how much, a lot, wanted to see if it would work) and the ABU 6600 C4 with 25lb braid (the lightest I can safely cast). The Daiwa seemed to cast 15-30yds further on different rods throwing 2oz. Daiwa 8:1 retrieve is quicker & easier than a power handle ABU 6.3:1, can easily surf stuff over rocks and sand bars. The Daiwa ergonomics are great. The T-Wing System is like not having a level-wind. Not saying the Daiwa is better, but definitely an option.IMG_3115.jpg.37a0871fe3ceb36d5965c6f773573d61.jpg

Edited by LeBob

Spooling that much 20# braid is impressive! The Lexas high speed ratios are great for speed jigging, but not good for moving large snappers or jacks lodged in the rocks.

2 hours ago, cheech said:

Spooling that much 20# braid is impressive! The Lexas high speed ratios are great for speed jigging, but not good for moving large snappers or jacks lodged in the rocks.

The eternal tradeoff, speed of retrieve vs. torque.

Wondering how the #300 compares in use to the #400?  Does the #400 reach further than the #300, and does the Lexa cast further than the Tatula?  Which handles better--for blues, stripers--from the beach in your opinion?  Thanks for any thoughts.    

Posted (edited)

Can't compare, I ordered the Daiwa Lexa TW 400 online. There were no Lexa TW or Tatula 300 models in my area to look at. Compared to ABU 6000 series reels, I like it better for surf fishing. Appears to be well made and even though it has a faster retrieve, it seems more powerful than an ABU 6600. ABU's survive salt & sand exposure, need more time with the Lexa to compare.

IMG_3149.jpg

Edited by LeBob

Thanks for that feedback LeBob.  Great pic too.  Were you satisfied with the distance you were getting out into the surf?  I've only surfcasted with a spinning reel and want to try my hand at a baitcaster and I hope I can reach as far.  I really like the baitcasters for freshwater.   

Posted (edited)

I tend to cast further with baitcaster and conventional reels with 3/4oz or more in the surf. Around 1/2oz with sea breeze spinning is better for me. I use larger 6000 or 400 size conventional; smaller 100-300 size baitcasters should do better with lighter weights. Picture of family fishing on the Gulf Coast.

Edited by LeBob
removed pic