jetty eddy

brad point wood bits.

Rate this topic

8 posts in this topic

Aside from an 1/8" bit what are the most popular bit sizes that are used? For a .341" belly grommet I'm thinking a 11/32".What other bits give a clean cut for grommets and belly weights?Also Im having a hard time finding a single long 1/8" bit at leat 6 or 8" and should that bit also be a brad point?

Brad points are good, Forstener bits are better, less tearout around the edge of the hole. But I use brad points plenty, depending on the job. I use 1/4, 3/8, 1/2 and rarely 5/8 Forstener for eye holes. The 11/32 brad point for the belly grommets is a good choice. 

Homies has the long bits, I think they call them aircraft bits, 1/8" is 12" long, I usually cut them down to 7" or so, cause I'm going to drill in from both ends. The shorter length helps with the wander. I always start the holes with a std. 1/8 bit first, helps keep things lined up.

Yeah, throw away society, they get dull, buy a new one. Used to be a drill bit was a near lifetime buy. Sharpen it and go on.

Brad point are hard to sharpen, standard drills are easy.  I heard drill doctors work very well.