Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Fergal

The joys of working with UV resins - caution

Rate this topic

26 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

I've mentioned it before, I have a pretty decent topical allergy to the stuff. Some brands/types are worse than others. Solarez, that stuff really gets me. All of it. Gulff is better but I still need to be careful. I can get it on my hands but that's it, I can't touch anywhere else. If I do, the below happens... I've been using Gullf for a while without issue but a few weeks ago I touched my neck area on the left side. The itching is like severe poison ivy. It's pretty uncomfortable to put it mildly. It was mostly better and this past weekend I must have touched my neck again. Alcohol stings like a mofo but it dries it up fast. 

I probably shouldn't use the stuff but then again I probably shouldn't do a lot of other things as well. This stuff is just too damn useful for tying.

ps - the pick doesn't do it justice...

IMG_5502.jpeg

Edited by Drew C.

A friend that ties flies commercially was telling me about the rashes he gets from UV resins. A couple years back he completely stopped using them. He admitted that he loves the results on the bench, but is unwilling to tolerate the harmful side effects. That was good enough for me, I stopped using it as well (the very little that I did) and won't be again.

In your situation why take a chance, I think I would use it the opened door of the car way area and also use Nitrile gloves as you may have issues with latex if you have that kind of sensitivity. 

HT

Wow 

Forget it I won’t even try using it. 
I’ll stick to what I’m doing. 
Good enough. 
Better watch yourself Drew. 

Gloves really don’t help. Yes it gets on my hands but I don’t have issues there. It’s when I touch other places, which is hard not to do. It probably looks worse now due to the alcohol. That may not be the best but it kills the itching quick. 

Yes, I should probably skip using the stuff but I won’t for now. The first time it happened, I think was 2020. I posted here because I didn’t know what the issue was but a reply in that thread correctly blamed the UV. I haven’t had an issue until now. I just need to not touch my face while tying. Which, while hard, I’ve done well with over the past two years. 

I find that when I wear gloves I'm less likely to touch my face.  Could just be me.

If I were allergic like that, I wouldn't go anywhere near the stuff.  Use liquid fusion.

Posted (edited)

Wow - sorry to hear that, Drew.

So far (touch wood) I don 't seem to react, but I don't use it a lot and try to wash my hands if I get some on them.

I wonder if it's a cumulative sensitivity. Tim Flagler has a serious sensitivity to uv resins as well. He mentions it in tying videos from time to time.

Edited by C. Regalis

Should definitely be wearing gloves along with long sleeves. Might be that using bare hands is how you developed the sensitivity to it. 

I would try to figure out some way to not get this stuff on you at all. 

Drew, this might sound crazy but why not wear one of those plexiglass face shields some people wore during the more serious stage of the initial CoVid pandemic. You'd be able to see well but wouldn't be able to touch your face and neck? Just a suggestion but I think it might work:) 

Damn, that is pretty severe.

Any thoughts of just going back to good old epoxy?

SF

Damn man, wear a turtleneck at the vise!  Do they even make them anymore? Probably could get one in P-town.  

35 mins ago, Stonefish said:

Damn, that is pretty severe.

Any thoughts of just going back to good old epoxy?

SF

I’ve thought about that. The resins are so easy to use tho.  

I tie weekly at a min and usually multiple times per week and avoided the issue for 2 years. So I’m not too concerned overall. It’s pretty easy to avoid in general. Once it starts tho I’m more prone to the issue due to the itchiness at the site. 

The other issue is usually from cross contamination, meaning not direct contact with uncured product then touching my face. I either get some stuff some where else and don’t realize it or using an older bottle with overflow, etc. 

35 mins ago, Drew C. said:

I’ve thought about that. The resins are so easy to use tho.  

I tie weekly at a min and usually multiple times per week and avoided the issue for 2 years. So I’m not too concerned overall. It’s pretty easy to avoid in general. Once it starts tho I’m more prone to the issue due to the itchiness at the site. 

The other issue is usually from cross contamination, meaning not direct contact with uncured product then touching my face. I either get some stuff some where else and don’t realize it or using an older bottle with overflow, etc. 

Drew....that face mask I recommended is what I'd use if I were in your situation with this stuff. Why not give it a try. Face masks nowadays are not expensive. Plus, you'd be able to tie the flies you want to tie with UV w/o those awful eczema type patches:)

16 mins ago, flysully said:

Drew....that face mask I recommended is what I'd use if I were in your situation with this stuff. Why not give it a try. Face masks nowadays are not expensive. Plus, you'd be able to tie the flies you want to tie with UV w/o those awful eczema type patches:)

I have multiples of those at work. I’m more likely to give that a try vs gloves. 

The other thing that I should do is batch tie by step. That will keep my use tied to the appropriate step vs every single fly, every single time. Plus, it’ll be more efficient when I sit down to tie multiples. 

Other things is this coincides with the use of gulff’s flexman. I just started using that recently.  I’ve been using their thinman without issue for two years. All of the solarez products get me unfortunately.