gray gables

hot weather

Rate this topic

28 posts in this topic

5 hours ago, Kings over Queens said:

I don't know how you guys work outdoors.  

I have soft hands from sitting in an office counting money and make no apologies for it. 

You still count your own money? Hope someday you hit the big time.

Posted (edited)

Guatamalins framing the houses in our subdivision were still wearing their hooded sweatshirts yesterday.

I've worked construction since '73...starting out as a roofer/framer.  Started a strip and re-roof one hot july ...large commercial building... ..temps in mid nineties all week...with a crew of five newly hired laborers.. in my charge....one by one ...over the next few days.... I watched as they went to their cars and left....by the end of the week it was me and just one other guy.

Installing kitchens these days...its hot......but not like being out in the sun.

Edited by Rmarsh

36 mins ago, Rmarsh said:

Guatamalins framing the houses in our subdivision were still wearing their hooded sweatshirts yesterday.

I've worked construction since '73...starting out as a roofer/framer.  Started a strip and re-roof one hot july ...large commercial building... ..temps in mid nineties all week...with a crew of five newly hired laborers.. in my charge....one by one ...over the next few days.... I watched as they went to their cars and left....by the end of the week it was me and just one other guy.

Installing kitchens these days...its hot......but not like being out in the sun.

No ac running in your houses? My painter refuses to paint in weather like this. He told the builder to get the ac running or he walks. Ac was running the next day. Your building a 850k house and you can’t run the ac for a month? 

Posted (edited)

Resized_20220624_103206(1).jpg.e6362968d3e64cc3504c6569445131e3.jpg

12 mins ago, gray gables said:

No ac running in your houses? My painter refuses to paint in weather like this. He told the builder to get the ac running or he walks. Ac was running the next day. Your building a 850k house and you can’t run the ac for a month? 

Our HVAC guy is waaaay behind on these 28 houses we are currently building   surprised he hasnt been replaced.......supposed to have ac running before we lay down the prefinished hardwood floors. Boss offered to bring down a window ac for me.....but hasnt showed up yet. These are smaller houses on very small lots....selling price in mid 600k

The crew with the hooded sweatshirts on.......what the hell is up with that? Must be chilly here compared to back home...

Edited by Rmarsh

1 hour ago, Rmarsh said:

Resized_20220624_103206(1).jpg.e6362968d3e64cc3504c6569445131e3.jpg

Our HVAC guy is waaaay behind on these 28 houses we are currently building   surprised he hasnt been replaced.......supposed to have ac running before we lay down the prefinished hardwood floors. Boss offered to bring down a window ac for me.....but hasnt showed up yet. These are smaller houses on very small lots....selling price in mid 600k

The crew with the hooded sweatshirts on.......what the hell is up with that? Must be chilly here compared to back home...

I’ve seen the hooded sweatshirt thing before with roofers. I almost fainted watching them work like that. 

22 hours ago, Kings over Queens said:

I don't know how you guys work outdoors.  

I have soft hands from sitting in an office counting money and make no apologies for it. 

I've been doing it since I was old enough to work which is almost 30 years so I guess I'm use to it.

They are working on switching me into the office setting though but I'm not sure if that's gonna be a full time thing or split or what.  I imagine I'm still gonna get to jobsites and stuff though, just not going to 4 to 5 a day.

On 7/21/2022 at 5:51 PM, Wire For Fire said:

I feel your pain .. I been working in and around a huge Steam  boiler with 6” steam lines all over my head 20 feet up in lift .. was 115 in there 6’ up felt like 130 or better in ceiling . Absolutely brutal .. drink two gallons of water and don’t piss all day lol 

I've been in those areas running pipe above boilers.

Not fun

I've spent many months at a time in the heat and snow and rain working the biggest solar fields in the state. No shade unless you make it to the end and you can tie wrap the wires under the panels.

It's a joy when your required to have on a hard hat,gloves,Kevlar sleeves,vest,ect. I did that underground a year after spine surgery. 

I definitely cannot take the heat or cold anymore.  

I'm glad those days are done and it's smooth sailing now.....

20191021_155816.jpg

20191017_114413.jpg

IMG958915-1.jpg

IMG958784.jpg

2 hours ago, R.R. Bridge Fisher said:

I've spent many months at a time in the heat and snow and rain working the biggest solar fields in the state. No shade unless you make it to the end and you can tie wrap the wires under the panels.

It's a joy when your required to have on a hard hat,gloves,Kevlar sleeves,vest,ect. I did that underground a year after spine surgery. 

I definitely cannot take the heat or cold anymore.  

I'm glad those days are done and it's smooth sailing now.....

20191021_155816.jpg

20191017_114413.jpg

IMG958915-1.jpg

IMG958784.jpg

retired union I take it?