RAW

Any sunfish/ mola mola sightings?

Rate this topic

47 posts in this topic

On 7/26/2022 at 9:23 AM, CWitek said:

Surprised the boat was unscathed.  I've seen them bend props and shafts when hit at speed, and launch outboards out of the water.

I got a question.  

Way back when I was on a charter and we came upon a mola. Pretty big one.   We were all excited to see it and wanted to get closer.  

Capt said no way. They've been known to charge the boat.  

We didn't argue. It was probably the first one any of us had ever seen.  

Any truth to that?

22 mins ago, PSegnatelli said:

I got a question.  

Way back when I was on a charter and we came upon a mola. Pretty big one.   We were all excited to see it and wanted to get closer.  

Capt said no way. They've been known to charge the boat.  

We didn't argue. It was probably the first one any of us had ever seen.  

Any truth to that?

Never heard of them “charging the boat.”

But they do jump, and 500 pounds of fish landing in the cockpit, even if it happens by accident, could cause serious problems.  Never heard of one coming aboard uninvited, but I’ve heard of some near misses.

3 mins ago, CWitek said:

But they do jump, and 500 pounds of fish landing in the cockpit, even if it happens by accident, could cause serious problems.  Never heard of one coming aboard uninvited, but I’ve heard of some near misses.

Thanks.  Figured it was story. But who knows. 

Posted (edited)

We get thousands of those things in cape cod bay starting end of August. At least the last couple of years. What a nuisance. We hit one with the outboards on a real choppy day and low visibility. Pushed the engines up a bit on impact but no damage. I think they can withstand a fair bit of abuse judging from the prop and boat scars I see on the big ones. No bones in them I guess, just a bunch of cartilage and jelly. Felt pretty bad so turned around to check on him and he was still swimming. Who knows. 

Edited by BillyBallGame

27 mins ago, BillyBallGame said:

We get thousands of those things in cape cod bay starting end of August. At least the last couple of years. What a nuisance. We hit one with the outboards on a real choppy day and low visibility. Pushed the engines up a bit on impact but no damage. I think they can withstand a fair bit of abuse judging from the prop and boat scars I see on the big ones. No bones in them I guess, just a bunch of cartilage and jelly. Felt pretty bad so turned around to check on him and he was still swimming. Who knows. 

Neat fact- they're actually the heaviest bony fish on earth

4 mins ago, Jefffahfffah said:

Neat fact- they're actually the heaviest bony fish on earth

Yeah I meant to make an edit in my post--upon researching a little further they do have some bones. Over time, most of their bones evolved into rubbery ligaments and cartilage. 

Went down this utube rabbit hole and ended up watching a cut and cook from Korea.  Was pretty interesting. 

On 7/25/2022 at 6:30 PM, RAW said:

Too bad, their unique

It was too bad, I always get a kick out of seeing them out there.

On 7/26/2022 at 9:23 AM, CWitek said:

Surprised the boat was unscathed.  I've seen them bend props and shafts when hit at speed, and launch outboards out of the water.

It was a 90' party boat, heard "Brrrrtttttt", looked out the back and saw a red cloud and a pile of seagulls diving into the slick. Captain came out of the wheelhouse and said, "that sunfish didn't have a chance, saw it at the last second". 

On 7/28/2022 at 6:07 AM, CWitek said:

Fishing in Woods Hole in a 13' Whaler years ago and my friend hooked one. I drove the boat over to it and it launched 6' into the air and landed within 10' of us. We talk about how it could have killed one of us if it landed in the boat.

20 hours ago, DAQ said:

It was a 90' party boat, heard "Brrrrtttttt", looked out the back and saw a red cloud and a pile of seagulls diving into the slick. Captain came out of the wheelhouse and said, "that sunfish didn't have a chance, saw it at the last second". 

That makes sense.  Hit them at speed with a smaller vessel, and the outcome tends to be very different.

On 7/23/2022 at 6:52 AM, chisler said:

Someone on here must know these guys and nobody is raising their hand....

Foster passed away last year at the far too young age of 47.

Bergin got a more than a few minutes of fame.

On 7/31/2022 at 8:33 AM, PSegnatelli said:

Went down this utube rabbit hole and ended up watching a cut and cook from Korea.  Was pretty interesting. 

I think I saw the same YouTube   They ate every part of that Sunfish including the head …   It was crazy how they sliced up the head and ate it …

2 hours ago, UncleJohn said:

I think I saw the same YouTube   They ate every part of that Sunfish including the head …   It was crazy how they sliced up the head and ate it …

The eye sockets!!

All I could think back was to Highschool. We read a book on a Asian fisherman that was lost as sea for an ungodly length of time.  And his cravings to eat the eyes and suck the goo from the socket on fish he caught for all the moisture they held. 

51 mins ago, PSegnatelli said:

The eye sockets!!

All I could think back was to Highschool. We read a book on a Asian fisherman that was lost as sea for an ungodly length of time.  And his cravings to eat the eyes and suck the goo from the socket on fish he caught for all the moisture they held. 

I just put down my meatballs and spaghetti