Tunanorth

PENN Authority wins "Best New Saltwater Reel" at ICAST Show!

Rate this topic

37 posts in this topic

Congrats to the PENN Reel Development Team.

The new Authority reel just won "Best New Saltwater Reel" at the ICAST show.

Happy to see Penn finally trying to make a decent reel congrats to them 

but at that price point there is some good stuff out there 

12 hours ago, FlukeOff said:

Hard to pay that price point when you can get 2 Gosas for the same price!

Or almost 2 Slammer 4 DX's

Posted (edited)

2 hours ago, FISH BUCKET said:

Price is relative

Yes and for that kind of money you can buy a better reel 

Edited by Joe Paranee

3 mins ago, GoneCoastal said:

Has anyone actually fished this Reel or is the you can buy something better for less just hear say ? 

Based on released specs and know competition. What, are you suggesting we need to actually use a product before we come to conclusions and post opinions? 

:)

I am sure the PENN is fine, but a Saragosa for half the cost is a hell of a reel. I personally will fish my made in USA ZeeBaaS. 

18 mins ago, GoneCoastal said:

Has anyone actually fished this Reel or is the you can buy something better for less just hear say ? 

Its not that you can buy something for less its that when you start hitting that price point there are proven reels in that range and slightly more 

hopefully the reel proves itself and does well 

I grew up using Penn stuff and walked away from the brand and I don’t see myself going back anytime soon. 

7 mins ago, ged said:

Based on released specs and know competition. What, are you suggesting we need to actually use a product before we come to conclusions and post opinions? 

:)

I am sure the PENN is fine, but a Saragosa for half the cost is a hell of a reel. I personally will fish my made in USA ZeeBaaS. 

I have my preferences as well. Just seems like opinions, feelings and hearsay outweigh facts these days 

8 mins ago, Joe Paranee said:

Its not that you can buy something for less its that when you start hitting that price point there are proven reels in that range and slightly more 

hopefully the reel proves itself and does well 

I grew up using Penn stuff and walked away from the brand and I don’t see myself going back anytime soon. 

I understand what your saying I think. I was more curious if anyone on the site had field tested ? Is there a msrp on the street yet ? 

It still makes me sad that they discontinued the torque. Hard to judge without using the authority first-hand, but i doubt it will hold up to the kind of abuse that my Torque II has seen when i use it for lbsf

There is a video from icast where the guy says it’s got a bigger gear set than the slammer series and it’s ipx8 now so same sealing level as gosa/spheros which is above the slammer and two bearing support on the pinion. Take with a grain of salt though most fishing industry employees don’t know their right hand from their left