Rate this topic

8 posts in this topic

I’m looking for my first tuna rod and reel for party boat chunking. I was thinking a Penn Fathom 2 speed in 30 or 40NLD spooled with 80lb braid. Paired with a Saint Croix Mojo Salt 7’ HF rated for 65-100lb braid, a Shimano Tallus, or a dark matter HK. Maybe a Kevin Bogan rod if it’s worth the extra $. I don’t want to be undergunned in case I hook a large fish but also don’t want overkill. Budget around $700 for rod and reel. Thoughts?

My recollection is that most of the party boats do not allow braid for chunking ... jigging yes, chunking no (or require 100 yards of mono topshot). I would check with the boat(s) you plan to go on and check to make sure they are OK with it. Beyond that, I don't have a whole lot to offer since my chunking setup is something I got years ago (sorry).

3 mins ago, vandeda said:

My recollection is that most of the party boats do not allow braid for chunking ... jigging yes, chunking no (or require 100 yards of mono topshot). I would check with the boat(s) you plan to go on and check to make sure they are OK with it. Beyond that, I don't have a whole lot to offer since my chunking setup is something I got years ago (sorry).

I was thinking the requirement was 100 feet not 100 yards, but you’re probably correct. I’ll double check. 

I use an avet HXW raptor on a 7’ bogan rod for the party boats and have yet to be undergunned. Get there early to grab a good bunk.

16 hours ago, LostOutdoors said:

I was thinking the requirement was 100 feet not 100 yards, but you’re probably correct. I’ll double check. 

Depends on the boat. Your setup will do the job just fine. Bring Flouro leader 30,60 & 80. Sometimes the only way to get a bite is with the light leader.

Bring 2 squid jigging outfits. One for small yozuri style squid jigs & one for a "traditional" xmas tree setup.

Bring a rod for casting for mahi around pots. I've had good success with colorful bucktails.

Don't forget that Tiles sometimes save the day. I caught the NJ record Blueline/Grey on a Tuna trip on the Voyager.

A live Ling may get you a bite when nothing else works.

Frozen squid is better than no squid.

1 hour ago, Joe said:

Depends on the boat. Your setup will do the job just fine. Bring Flouro leader 30,60 & 80. Sometimes the only way to get a bite is with the light leader.

Bring 2 squid jigging outfits. One for small yozuri style squid jigs & one for a "traditional" xmas tree setup.

Bring a rod for casting for mahi around pots. I've had good success with colorful bucktails.

Don't forget that Tiles sometimes save the day. I caught the NJ record Blueline/Grey on a Tuna trip on the Voyager.

A live Ling may get you a bite when nothing else works.

Frozen squid is better than no squid.

What test main mono line do you use? I was thinking 80. I have a yozuri squid jig and rod for it but I’m not familiar with the xmas style. Is that multiple tied on one line? I’ll be bringing a 5000 spinner for mahi. I’ll pick up colorful buck tails and plastics, thanks for the recommendation. I’d like to be able to use my setup for tilefish also. Congrats on the state record. 

I always used 80. yep xmas tree is multiples. I've had good success with this sinker on the bottom. For tiles be prepared to use 20oz if it's calm & your anchored

sj1.PNG

Posted (edited)

I’m buying a jigging setup for trips this fall on the Voyager.  Will likely get a fathom 40NLD2 or a Accurate 600 2 speed. Planning to run 80 braid but not sure how long of a top shot people usually run on the Voyager when jigging. Appreciate any guidance on top shots from someone that’s been on the Voyager.   I’d like to run a shorter one as not to scope out bad when jigging. 

Rod choice has been challenging for me. I read a lot about west coast tuna fishing and they love rail rods. Talked to a deckhand on a tuna boat in NE and he suggested a rail rod as well. I like the concept but have struggled to figure out if these 7-7.5’ rail rods are the best choice for fishing flat fall and hammered diamond jigs.  Ive looked at the Penn Carnage III 7’ 60-100lb rail rod and the Okuma Pch 7’4” XXH 60-100   Hoping someone that’s been on this boat or a similar trip can provide some guidance.  I don’t want to be under gunned if I get bit by a larger model fish. 

Edited by JohnnyG