drumfish213

gowanus canal, worth trying?

Rate this topic

32 posts in this topic

Going to a wedding very near the northern end of the gowanus canal. Was thinking of bringing a travel rod just in case I had some extra time to try. I realize there are a lot of jokes about pollution and how terrible the fishing could be but if anyone has some helpful insight (types of plugs to bring, areas where it is ok to fish, etc.) it would be appreciated. I plan on bringing some bucktails and swim shads, is there anything else I should consider? Is it not even worth trying if I am that far up the canal? My open window of time is probably Friday night. 

9 hours ago, drumfish213 said:

Going to a wedding very near the northern end of the gowanus canal. Was thinking of bringing a travel rod just in case I had some extra time to try. I realize there are a lot of jokes about pollution and how terrible the fishing could be but if anyone has some helpful insight (types of plugs to bring, areas where it is ok to fish, etc.) it would be appreciated. I plan on bringing some bucktails and swim shads, is there anything else I should consider? Is it not even worth trying if I am that far up the canal? My open window of time is probably Friday night. 

From Wikipedia "By the 1990s, it was recognized as one of the most polluted bodies of water in the United States. Owing to pollution with high ratios of fecal coliforms, deadly proportions of pathogens, and a low concentration of oxygen, it is generally seen as incompatible with marine life. A variety of extremophiles have been observed in the Gowanus Canal as well."

also from 9 years ago 

https://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/local/dolphin-gowanus-canal-new-york-police/1983257/

Doesn't sound worth it. When I lived near there I swear I saw people catching blue crabs to keep and eat though. 

best of luck 

Ive gotten a few fish in newtown canal. Bucktails and a match to flambe them for release.

You could start a new Netflix Series, "Fishing in an EPA Superfund Site!!"

6 mins ago, drumfish213 said:

Thanks everyone for the help so far. 

It's perhaps the most polluted piece of water in the United States.  Look up Gowanus Dredgers on Instagram.

It's gross. Particularly after a rain storm. Like millions of gallons of raw sewage a year kind of gross.

You could catch a lot of white fish. They're supposed to be cleaning it up.

51 mins ago, LB said:

You could catch a lot of white fish. They're supposed to be cleaning it up.

Well, depends on what you mean by cleaning up….

63069449-6960-4BAA-A484-07746C7B43AD.png

With the Gowanus, water goes up and down with the tide it never gets a full flush it's a dead end.