flyangler

Black Hole Suzuki Special 10' lightweight build

Rate this topic

33 posts in this topic

I have owned a Black Hole Suzuki Special 10' for a couple of years. Really enjoy that rod for fishing the beach here in SE Florida. Rated for 1/2-1/5oz, it is the perfect rod for snook, jacks, blues, Spanish and others similar sized fish in the surf. For summer snook fishing, when the fish are cruising the trough right in the wash, casting nearly parallel to the beach keeps the lure in the strike zone longer. As I noted in another thread asking about surf snook rod length preferences, I noted that I like the extra 2 or 3 feet over shorter rods because it allows a more parallel retrieve and keeps the lure in the strike zone longer. Also, if there are waves, the longer rod helps hold the light braid above the curls. 

But as I have said over time, I really don't like the components on the BH factory rod. Yes, I understand that it is a lower price point model and you cannot expect Fuji, etc. But they are cheap and I have black paint coming off the reel seat hood and other signs of wear. But I really dislike the guides, especially that tip top. Ring size is, IMO, too small for my needs. I reel a slim FG knot into the guides on a regular basis and that tip top is a pain. Yes, I could have replaced the tip and eliminated most of my functional complaints, but....

So back in September I took advantage of a sale Jignpop was running and bought blanks for the original 10' and 9' Suzukis for $141 shipped. At $70 per blank it was a bargain but the blanks have been sitting around waiting for me to have the time to wrap them. 

I finally go around to doing the 10', my aim being to make the build as light as practical and a stealthy black theme. I have chosen to pair this rod with a new Daiwa Saltist MC which has some blue tones. 

IMG_6286.jpeg.7f2723d05dbd6440f32ef8a212cd0bc6.jpeg

IMG_6285.jpeg.858a9331424f89039749a6b5442bd3a8.jpeg

I blame Billy for turning me on to Matagi painted Fuji seats so I ordered a gloss black one from VooDoo. At the same time, ZAfisher told me about these skeletonized seats and I ordered one of those which I am reserving for the 9' build later this year. To keep costs reasonable, I am using a Corrosion Control guide train, spacing as figured out by my blank whisperer. 

IMG_6287.jpeg.58bb5148cee54188e40d2018dda6f6c6.jpeg

I really like have a Fuji Lock Nut on these seats even if they are not needed in many folks opinion. I have had situations where I have inadvertently loosened the regular nut with my hand position so it does serve a purpose for me. Plus, I just like the added length of larger diameter is provides over the threads. To keep with the color scheme, I painted it gloss black with rattlecan and then coated with epoxy. 

IMG_6288.jpeg.40d341395a559058c841de47d83702b2.jpeg

IMG_6289.jpeg.2c340252d0a2e29c753c2790dc0a1787.jpeg

IMG_6290.jpeg.3677d76e3d0c87329803a172e180b98e.jpeg

I ordered both black and silver collars and decided on silver for the 10', reserving the black for the 9' which will be totally black. 

IMG_6291.jpeg.650af9398db21dea7d4a320c9f9fdaca.jpeg

The fit on the Fuji seat is brilliant and tight. 

IMG_6292.jpeg.3a12809b140d8faeb4a1a518d553111a.jpeg

Stay tuned

For grips I went very minimal around the seat, just those silver collars. For the butt, I am using the American Tackle Bushido G2 grip and a "matching" rounded "fighting" butt. That butt is not exactly designed to fit that carbon piece which comes with a flat button insert cap. It was easy to build up some tape arbors and once done, it will look like a matched pair. Again, I bought two of the butts and forward collars, black & silver, and will reserve the black for the 9' build. 

IMG_6293.jpeg.3695030694445e2c168d45dc0d88cdb5.jpeg

IMG_6294.jpeg.5eb17eb5e93ab95798fb5f9f569d6ee3.jpeg

IMG_6295.jpeg.6df9299c20df16dfdfedf9fcc4a4d840.jpeg

IMG_6296.jpeg.ad1ad7b404a1cd98a91ea49459018301.jpeg

IMG_6298.jpeg.225e4e090d42938600bdc46b3820fcf6.jpeg

As mentioned, the new reel has blue accents so I am going to incorporate that into this rod. I will have to find an all-black reel for the 9' build so I can keep myself from deviating from all-black motif. 

I bought several shades of blue Hitena metallic thread and picked the one closest to the reel when finished. Silver was picked over light silver and a gunsmoke/Ti shade. Trims will be blue inside, silver on end. 

IMG_6313.jpeg.18c65871105a7b2942fb7473c9145229.jpeg

IMG_6303.jpeg.8de67578f41cf06333056f3f24b94270.jpeg

4 mins ago, ZAFisher said:

Very lekker.

you made me look that up. :laugh:

2 hours ago, flyangler said:

I will have to find an all-black reel for the 9' build so I can keep myself from deviating from all-black motif.

Exsence or mebbe the new Miravel?

EXSENCE.jpg

Since your passing knots through the guides, i would suggest you wrap the guides using the forhan locking wrap. Its a little extra insurance against guides pulling loose.

Nice build ... a great rod better still with the components you're using. Thanks for the post.

On 7/20/2022 at 0:31 PM, ZAFisher said:

Exsence or mebbe the new Miravel?

You love spending my money, don't you? 

48 mins ago, Bergallmaster said:

Since your passing knots through the guides, i would suggest you wrap the guides using the forhan locking wrap. Its a little extra insurance against guides pulling loose.

don't know. have read mixed things about that. to date I have never had an issue after passing a FG knot through guides thousands of times. and that is throwing plugs up to 4+ ounces at times. 

also, after getting epoxy into the thread tunnel, I tend to put a little more epoxy at the front of the guide foot creating a bond between the raw blank and guide foot itself. in my mind at least, that has to be stronger for forces parallel to the blank than a couple of wraps (epoxied of course) around the guide stem. 

if I ever have a failure, i will reconsider. 

35 mins ago, KironaFly said:

Nice build ... a great rod better still with the components you're using. Thanks for the post.

Thanks. As you observe and I noted, it really is a good blank for what it is designed to do, especially as a 2pc. so upping the components, dropping maybe an ounce or so and having a custom look makes a very good rod better. 

2 hours ago, flyangler said:

You love spending my money, don't you? 

I am an enabler.

4 mins ago, ZAFisher said:

I am an enabler.

pusher perhaps is more accurate