Richard_the_Aughth

Green crabs in the fall

Rate this topic

8 posts in this topic

A lot depends on the tackle shop and it's relation to where you are fishing. There is "Lucky Bait" in Warren, RI and he (Manny) has them until well after I pull my boat around the end of November. Westport Marine (Keith) also has then at least through November and the same for CMS (New Bedford) and Toms (Middleboro). If you want to fish much later than that, you should stock up and hold them in cages under your dock.

Good luck!

2 mins ago, jason colby said:

A lot depends on the tackle shop and it's relation to where you are fishing. There is "Lucky Bait" in Warren, RI and he (Manny) has them until well after I pull my boat around the end of November. Westport Marine (Keith) also has then at least through November and the same for CMS (New Bedford) and Toms (Middleboro). If you want to fish much later than that, you should stock up and hold them in cages under your dock.

Good luck!

I won't try later than October, so sounds like I'll be good. Any cape shops stock them until then? Thanks for the info!

4 hours ago, Richard_the_Aughth said:

I won't try later than October, so sounds like I'll be good. Any cape shops stock them until then? Thanks for the info!

Macos

I got one of these from Ketchum supply, soak over night with old frozen bait and you’re good to go

0E8B6E32-70E8-4C52-8C92-06922C07C4ED.png

17 hours ago, harley48 said:

I got one of these from Ketchum supply, soak over night with old frozen bait and you’re good to go

0E8B6E32-70E8-4C52-8C92-06922C07C4ED.png

Ya beat me to it harley48! You can catch all the tog bait you need with one of these. My brother dropped a few of these in the tidal marshes around Rye, NH the past few seasons and was able to supply a bunch of friends with tog bait throughout the fall. The traps would be stuffed full with a day's soak. 

Get a double ring wire mesh crab net and a long rope. Go to any pier or dock. Drop a piece of drumstick in the net, lower the trap, and wait 15-20 minutes to pick it up. You should fill a 5 gal bucket in an hour easily. Do this the night before you go out. No need to wake up early and wait around for the bait shop to open or take chances if they carry green crabs.