PSeggs

Question about fishing license

Rate this topic

18 posts in this topic

Is it legal to fish with a electronic copy of my fishing license in RI? Or do I need a paper copy?

CT is legal for it to be on your phone.  

Posted (edited)

No one checks them here anyway.......

Legal or not i dont carry a paper copy, just one on my phone.  Never had a issue but then again i have never been asked to show a license since the very first year implemented.

Edited by Kooky

I lived in RI for seven years and I was checked once at wildlife refuge. Had my NY saltwater registry, paper copy. Rhode Islanders, how come you have to pay $7 to fish your own state but my free N.Y. registry is valid?  

7 mins ago, JimmyBean said:

I lived in RI for seven years and I was checked once at wildlife refuge. Had my NY saltwater registry, paper copy. Rhode Islanders, how come you have to pay $7 to fish your own state but my free N.Y. registry is valid?  

Cause we have idiots running our state.......................

And the answer is YES!

1 hour ago, Kooky said:

No one checks them here anyway.......

Legal or not i dont carry a paper copy, just one on my phone.  Never had a issue but then again i have never been asked to show a license since the very first year implemented.

Same in CT.   Last GW I saw, we chatted a bit, they talked to my kids. Started to part ways and my kid asked them if they were gonna check my license!  "Well I guess I better..."

I found a local library that I'm gonna head over to in a bit.  My luck I get checked and fined.  

1 hour ago, bdowning said:

Same in Mass. 

The license or idiots running the state part?? :laugh:

2 hours ago, JimmyBean said:

Maine, Mass, RI, CT and NY have a reciprocity agreement for saltwater rec licenses but each manages the license how they want. So fees are managed locally but once you have any license you’re good in any state 

1 hour ago, Finneus said:

Maine, Mass, RI, CT and NY have a reciprocity agreement for saltwater rec licenses but each manages the license how they want. So fees are managed locally but once you have any license you’re good in any state 

Not true. Your CT or NY license gets you nothing in MA. NY, CT and RI are reciprocal.

28 mins ago, MakoMike said:

Not true. Your CT or NY license gets you nothing in MA. NY, CT and RI are reciprocal.

Is it just NY to MA that doesn’t have reciprocity? 

Below is from MA website, CT has similar language:

Reciprocity agreements 

Massachusetts has reciprocity agreements with:

These agreements allow MA recreational saltwater permit holders to recreationally fish in NH, RI, CT, and ME. Read each agreement for specific details. Be aware that regulations vary from state to state.

I've been checked a handful of times.  Always showed them my phone and never had an issue.

maybe i'm weird but i like being without my phone.

i print off half a dozen copies at like 50% size, cut out the important bits so it's roughly the size of a credit card, laminate them or wrap them up in clear packing tape, then stash them everywhere, one in my waders, my plug bag, tackle crate, wallet, etc.

Posted (edited)

20 hours ago, MakoMike said:

Not true.    Only one with reciprocity is NH.

From CT DEEP...

"Under reciprocity agreements with Maine, Massachusetts, Rhode Island, and New York, anglers holding a valid Marine Waters Fishing License in any of these states may fish in the marine district and land marine fish in this state (CT)."

Can I fish in the following locations with a valid CT Marine Waters Fishing License?

New York: Yes. Note the following text provided on NYDEC web site as of April 2012: “You do not need to register if you are a Connecticut or Rhode Island resident who has a marine waters fishing license from their respective states.” For more information visit the NYDEC website:

RI: Yes. RI DEM website:

NH: No. Fish and Game website

MA: Yes. MA DMF website:

ME: Yes. ME DMR website

Edited by PSegnatelli
Links removed

On 7/20/2022 at 10:13 AM, Kooky said:

Cause we have idiots running our state.......................

thats an understatement 

On 7/20/2022 at 0:48 PM, Finneus said:

sort of.  CT residents need a CT license and MA residents need a MA license.  No reciprocity for out of state licenses in those situations.