JBstripes

Reliable inflatable for wife ?!

11 posts in this topic

Hey guys . I have a 10ft sit on top pelican for myself . I’ve been thinking of getting something similar for the wife , but just the thought of loading and unloading 2 of them on a lifted SUV seems like a pain in the ass .   Started looking up inflatables lately , I didn’t realize there were so many out there .  Anybody have any feed back on them and what to look for ?     Not trying to buy a $1200 one , and I don’t know if I could trust the $150 ones on Amazon .   Doesn’t have to be set up for fishing or any crazy amenities.    Just something sturdy for her and thick enuff that could take an occasional rock scrape..Let me know what u think.  Thanks …

67660A5D-1747-4A2C-B047-F1BC650A2AE6.jpeg

I should of known by now .  I should of specified ,   Looking for an “inflatable” kayak.  Thanks again 

2 hours ago, JBstripes said:

Hey guys . I have a 10ft sit on top pelican for myself . I’ve been thinking of getting something similar for the wife , but just the thought of loading and unloading 2 of them on a lifted SUV seems like a pain in the ass .   Started looking up inflatables lately , I didn’t realize there were so many out there .  Anybody have any feed back on them and what to look for ?     Not trying to buy a $1200 one , and I don’t know if I could trust the $150 ones on Amazon .   Doesn’t have to be set up for fishing or any crazy amenities.    Just something sturdy for her and thick enuff that could take an occasional rock scrape..Let me know what u think.  Thanks …

67660A5D-1747-4A2C-B047-F1BC650A2AE6.jpeg

So you’re quite happy to bear the brunt of loading and unloading your own but don’t particularly want to do it for your life partner wife as well … no offense, but I see an inflatable wife in your future :dismay: :wee:

Posted (edited)

I'd advise looking for a lightweight sit-inside or look at some of the loading assist techniques that have been discussed here many time. Cheapo inflatables won't last and/or don't paddle all that well. I have a "Sea Eagle" type rubber ducky, and it was okay for taking the kids down an easy river when they were little, but I sure wasn't going to paddle miles in it! High performance inflatables are quite expensive, far, far more than your Pelican.

Edited by gellfex

I go fishing with my mother sometimes (she birdwatches and enjoys being out) and I have a cheapo intex 2 person inflatable that she uses. Got it for 40 bucks in walmart on sale. Couldn't pass up a deal like that! Now on Amazon it's $200! Nice for the sale price, but slow (I go 2 MPH which isn't very fast and after a couple minutes she's way behind me) and gets blown around. I wouldn't put it anywhere near rocks, and thankfully I don't have to. Definitely not worth $200. If you want a kayak for her just get a cheap little plastic kayak. Dunham's has some good deals on kayaks like that. Walmart probably has a bunch like that too. If the risk of rocks is real, then don't risk it with a cheap inflatable IMO.

Posted (edited)

I also vote to stay away from inflatables.  I never tried one, but really couldn't bring myself to anyway.  Dicks has a plethora of budget kayaks.  Those Pelicans are pretty light weight, maybe get another one.  Or Lifetime Teton, which has the comfy lounge type seat, and I think they're pretty light as well.  And +1 on a load assist system, which you can usually find cheap on the interwebs.

And who really wants to spend time at the water's edge blowing up a rubber boat?

Edited by Skunkoff

I had an inflatable wife once, I called her PATCHES.  it didn’t work out, we had too many blow outs!

The Intex excursion pro is what I've been looking at. Looks pretty good for just over 200. I was thinking about getting on for the intercoastal waters and freshwater canals of Florida. Was going to ship it down to my brother in law's beach house. Figured it was good for at least one trip

Thanks for the reply’s guys .  I should of been a little clearer , was gonna get an inflatable for myself also .   If I wanna put 2 kayaks on the roof I would have to take my ski rack off the other side or somehow strap it down on top of it and hope it holds .  I was just thinking it would be easier to throw 2 inflatables in the back and hit the road . I already have a dewalt battery compressor I would use to pump them up .   Starting to sound like it’s not the best idea tho,  I’ll keep looking 

I have experience with Sea Eagle and think they are awesome boats but the best ones are higher priced but the cheap ones are good just slow. 
 Inflatable sup might be a option if you’re just  paddling around…