55555s

Defining Centrism- What is a Political Moderate?

Rate this topic

205 posts in this topic

11 mins ago, fish'nmagician said:

is every idea that comes from the other party automatically a stupid idea?

Not necessarily, but we'll take your request under consideration. 

Next.......

Just now, Fishhead7 said:

Not necessarily, but we'll take your request under consideration. 

Next.......

the point is that the fringes of both parties might have a lot of stupid ideas,

the moderates in both parties usually have the better ideas,

and stuff can get done when the moderates in both parties work in bipartisan fashion.

radicals don't like that though,

and lately have been doing a good job pushing the notion that compromise is bad.

I think that most moderates are amiables that want folks to approve of them, so have no guiding principals one way or the other.  They are equivocal fence sitters that claim to have some conservative positions and at the same time some progressive positions in an attempt to please everyone. That makes them essentially useless because they won't take a stand based on principal and will blow with the the prevailing political winds and embrace conventional wisdom which is anything, but wise.

In my opinion there are only two types of moderates: liars posing as moderates and folks that dance on the surface and don't want to look any deeper because they are afraid of what they might find.  They are surface dwellers craving approval more than anything else and when the chips are down you can't depend on them.  Most of them avoid tough decisions and dance away when thing get too difficult, complex, or challenging.  All you will get from them is nice words and condolences and not much else.

1 min ago, Long Wader said:

I think that most moderates are amiables that want folks to approve of them, so have no guiding principals one way or the other.  They are equivocal fence sitters that claim to have some conservative positions and at the same time some progressive positions in an attempt to please everyone. That makes them essentially useless because they won't take a stand based on principal and will blow with the the prevailing political winds and embrace conventional wisdom which is anything, but wise.

In my opinion there are only two types of moderates: liars posing as moderates and folks that dance on the surface and don't want to look any deeper because they are afraid of what they might find.  They are surface dwellers craving approval more than anything else and when the chips are down you can't depend on them.  Most of them avoid tough decisions and dance away when thing get too difficult, complex, or challenging.  All you will get from them is nice words and condolences and not much else.

:bucktooth:

Posted (edited)

21 mins ago, PlumFishing said:

:bucktooth:

Must have hit on one of your nerves Plum.   I bet you swallowed the bait whole and voted for that Brain Dead loser.

:witty:

Edited by Long Wader

11 mins ago, fish'nmagician said:

is every idea that comes from the other party automatically a stupid idea?

Of late it does seem that way.

Just now, Long Wader said:

I don't care much for your opinion.

1 hour ago, fish'nmagician said:

the moderates in both parties usually have the better ideas,

Can you name 5 moderate democrats  on the national stage ?

38 mins ago, Long Wader said:

I think that most moderates are amiables that want folks to approve of them, so have no guiding principals one way or the other. 

K

though being strident doesn't really equate to having principles.

I think in many/most of the hot topic issues the radical right is 20% the radical left is 20% and there is 60% that favor some common sense compromise in the middle

the radicals have done a good job convincing people that compromise is bad.

40 mins ago, Long Wader said:

Hey Raider, didn't you say you are a moderate?

1 min ago, RiverRaider said:

Can you name 5 moderate democrats  on the national stage ?

I don't want to quibble over nonsense.

I'm sure if you wanted to engage in such a project you could look at every/any Democrat you wish and rank them as to how radical or moderate you find them to be.

3 mins ago, Slacker said:

Hey Raider, didn't you say you are a moderate?

And liberal. Knight thinks he’s a leper and Long Wader thinks he’s an equivocal fence sitter. 

1 min ago, PlumFishing said:

And liberal. Knight thinks he’s a leper and Long Wader thinks he’s an equivocal fence sitter. 

I’m a  classical liberal 

Not many of us left 

While I don't agree with Bernie Sanders on policy, I respect him because he is a progressive and believes his policies will work. Some politicians claim to be moderate in the name of political expediency and popularity but are progressive. At least you know where Bernie Sanders stands and can have an honest debate on ideas.

Moderate voters are also known as swing voters. They swing from left to right based on what they are told that day. I don't find that to be a strong personality trait. It's certainly not independent thinking.