55555s

Defining Centrism- What is a Political Moderate?

Rate this topic

205 posts in this topic

“Centrist” is just another silly label that doesn’t capture the reality of non-partisans. “Other” would be more accurate, as unaffiliated voters are extremely diverse in views and voting habits. 

Moved from left to right in my lifetime.  I am a happy, proud social and economic conservative.  I think people who want to be "in the middle" are confrontation adverse and looking to please.  I've found no one here, left or right, who has ever put forward a good argument to change my mind on any issue and certainly no one who has ever offered anything to change or even question my beliefs. 

I think the USA is on a greased bobsled to hell and it is so socially, economically, culturally and governmentally because of the left, big government, Big Brother which represents the usual decay which happens as a nation becomes powerful, rich and great.  

Liberalism is Leprosy

Political Correctness is the Sharia of Liberalism

Atheism is the Opiate of the Liberal

11 hours ago, Dogfish Between Jetties said:

You make some good points. I've always said neither side should compromise their core beliefs. Our government system was set up for gridlock and very slow change for a reason.

+1.  Again. 

(I am going to stop giving your posts a thumbs up because my nodding in agreement and virtual highfiving is getting monotonous. )

10 hours ago, Tailslap said:

Near center moderate independent is where it is at folks. 

You still have work to do here.  Make the case.  

9 hours ago, Gotcow? said:

AH!  Glad you posted here.  You and @Jmat321 were 2 more posters I meant to tag on this thread. 

Hey @moonbat... put down the pickled fiddleheads and get in here too. 

9 hours ago, Tailslap said:

Well I don’t know what a centrist is. But I do know that moderate near center people who will vote either way depending on what they think benefits the country as a whole exist. And they are not that uncommon at all outside of hyper partisan forums and social media. 

I submit that a lot of people who identify as centrist or moderate arent.   I am still interested in clarification on what Centrist, Moderate mean.  

@Nessmuk, in this thread, has already clarified and distinguished Independent from those 2.  )

9 hours ago, fishinambition said:

anarcho-libertarian in spirit, gave up voting because I dont have a party and any 3rd party vote is a waste anyway. You can play 3 games of pool in the time it takes to vote. I dont know if that makes me fringe. Live and let live doesnt seem very fringe to me.

I'm staunchly fiscally conservative (ie responsible) and libertarian on a vast majority of other things social.   I am misidentified as a fringe right wing Trump republican frequently.  On here thats not surprising as I tend to praise Trump in my ridicule of others.  In real life, I may not have mentioned his name more than 5 times last year, and was vocal that I didnt vote for him in 16.   Yet, fiscal conservancy = trump right winger maga.  Which is ludicrous if you think about it. 

Wanting fiscal responsibility (demanding it from government) is fringe.  Wanting to not be ruled/micromanaged in my social/family life is fringe.   

How'd that happen?  I think it happened by Moderate Centrists compromising until the "the middle" shifted far left.  

9 hours ago, Tailslap said:

Moderate independents decide presidential elections. That’s for sure. 

What you probably mean is Moderates.    Or is it?  I think we should seek to separate moderate from indep.  Toss centrist into the mix.  these 3 need clarification.  

9 hours ago, Nessmuk said:

You’re confusing objectivity with political neutrality.  I have objectively evaluated issues like fiscal policy and after long years of consideration and without caring what any political party thinks, have come to know that progressive fiscal and social policies will destroy us.  I have no political leadership, I have my own eyes.  

8 hours ago, Nessmuk said:

You really are conflating moderate and independent,  Sorry.  Not the same.

This is the direction I was hoping the thread would go.

8 hours ago, Nessmuk said:

By todays standards I am far right.  What’s more, I am a independent.  There are no parties that represent my views, and I am a member of no party.  I am, by US election standards and definition, an “independent.”

Discussion with like-minded "conservatives" in the real world generally comes back to this.  

7 hours ago, Nessmuk said:

The rest of the time, I am stuck voting against Democrats rather than “for” Republican BSers. 

With the exception of local elections, which can still be fruitful, I have found this to be the case. 

55 mins ago, Fishhead7 said:

It's not like both sides don't have a right to be heard,

No one has a right to be heard.  You have a right to say and think what you want.  There's no right as to the reception of one's speech. 

46 mins ago, saltydawg said:

“Centrist” is just another silly label that doesn’t capture the reality of non-partisans. “Other” would be more accurate, as unaffiliated voters are extremely diverse in views and voting habits. 

I dont think Centrist, non-partisan, and Indep are synonyms.   

Just now, Steve_in_PA said:

A political moderate is someone who's support is determined by the messaging and not the issue.  

Your post inspired me to make an change. 

The MSM won't let anyone but lefty voices be heard, at least in a positive way. 

The MSM usurps the right of the conservative voices to be heard. 

Defining anything relies on considering all relevant inputs. 

41 mins ago, 55555s said:

I dont think Centrist, non-partisan, and Indep are synonyms. 

Agreed…centrist is some mythical tiny subset of all the unaffiliated 

13 hours ago, 55555s said:

Others, dont be a douche in this thread.  

Legalization of rape.  

Banning rape.

Meet in the middle?

LImiting an abortion is VERY much not your call.  

That view is Fringe misogynist Conservative Trumper if you ask the 2 dozen or so people I work out of the Office with in Bergen Co.  

$25,000/yr tax per caucasian family for reparations payments.

Absolutely no additional tax to fund reparations.

Meet in the middle?

Shall NOT be infringed.  

47.000 laws & ordinances infringing.

Meet int he middle?  

NO pediphilia

Some pedophilia.

Meet up in the middle?

I can do this all day. 

Compromising with degenerates, criminals, scumbags, theives, Marxists, etc is a fools errand. 

What would a good moderate have done in the 1700's to compromise?

If someone else stated a black slave was only 2/5's human and I'm at 5/5's, should I compromise at 3.5/5's? Should I dehumanize a black slave in the name compromise?

some people are entrenched in stupid in this thread.

I think it's pretty obvious to identify a party moderate.....

most of us know what the radical right wants,

we know what the radical left wants,

and we know that a moderate position would (usually be in the middle somewhere)

I think a moderate also has a desire to get things done in a bipartisan fashion.

doesn't matter what your personal opinion is if you are strident about not compromising with the other side.

1 hour ago, fish'nmagician said:

I think a moderate also has a desire to get things done in a bipartisan fashion.

doesn't matter what your personal opinion is if you are strident about not compromising with the other side.

Do you compromise with stupid ideas?

49 mins ago, Gotcow? said:

Do you compromise with stupid ideas?

is every idea that comes from the other party automatically a stupid idea?