55555s

Defining Centrism- What is a Political Moderate?

Rate this topic

205 posts in this topic

2 mins ago, Dogfish Between Jetties said:

Why do moderates shift left and right so much? Biden Independent approval is at 27%.

Because moderates can see and admit that he is a rutabaga. Hardened Democrats can't admit that.

OTH, I watched Republicans on this forum who were very outspoken against Trump just fall in line after he got the nomination. It was as if they could no longer see the things they didn't like.

When you follow the herd, you are not a moderate.

5 mins ago, Gamakatsu said:

The division is occurring because nobody wants to compromise. Some of the pie is better than none of the pie.

I can not disagree.  

anarcho-libertarian in spirit, gave up voting because I dont have a party and any 3rd party vote is a waste anyway. You can play 3 games of pool in the time it takes to vote. I dont know if that makes me fringe. Live and let live doesnt seem very fringe to me.

Moderate independents decide presidential elections. That’s for sure. 

4 mins ago, Nessmuk said:

Moderates are surrender monkeys.

A woman that graduated from West Point told me.  "Weakness is changing your mind" there is no doubt....

As if being objective would ever be a bad thing. That’s a shame. 

1 min ago, Tailslap said:

As if being objective would ever be a bad thing. That’s a shame. 

You’re confusing objectivity with political neutrality.  I have objectively evaluated issues like fiscal policy and after long years of consideration and without caring what any political party thinks, have come to know that progressive fiscal and social policies will destroy us.  I have no political leadership, I have my own eyes.  

I’m not confusing anything. Either side can get too far out there. Independents try to reel them back in. 

12 mins ago, PaddyCrabby said:

A woman that graduated from West Point told me.  "Weakness is changing your mind" there is no doubt....

I wouldn’t say that changing your mind is weakness, personally.  You get new information, for example.  Or someone brings a new interpretation that makes sense.

I would say that compromising principles you know to be right is a sign of weak character.

1 min ago, Tailslap said:

I’m not confusing anything. Either side can get too far out there. Independents try to reel them back in. 

“Independants” is a political term that has nothing to do with critical thinking.  Who says political independents are objective?

I’m a political independent because I am NOT a moderate.

Posted (edited)

15 mins ago, Nessmuk said:

“Independants” is a political term that has nothing to do with critical thinking.  Who says political independents are objective?

I’m a political independent because I am NOT a moderate.

Anti government types have high jacked the term independent as of late. That’s not what the term independent ever meant in my lifetime. 

Now apparently we have moderate independent and anti government independent. Two very different things. 

Edited by Tailslap

6 mins ago, Nessmuk said:

I wouldn’t say that changing your mind is weakness, personally.  You get new information, for example.  Or someone brings a new interpretation that makes sense.

I would say that compromising principles you know to be right is a sign of weak character.

Maybe.  It's a luxury to have time to make a decision.  

And yes principles are something to stick to.

Posted (edited)

5 mins ago, Tailslap said:

Anti government types have high jacked the term independent as of late. That’s not what the term independent ever meant in my lifetime. 

Funny.  It’s been on the ballots for decades.  “Independent.”  I.e. belonging to no established political party.

Because one is progressive, and the other is…”moderate..”

Edited by Nessmuk