55555s

Defining Centrism- What is a Political Moderate?

Rate this topic

205 posts in this topic

A centrist is as alusive as a mountain lion these days.  The left went too far left for any sane person to relate.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 mins ago, KnewBee said:

"...To get the Constitution ratified by all 13 states, the delegates to the Constitutional Convention had to reach several compromises. The three major compromises were the Great Compromise, the Three-Fifths Compromise, and the Electoral College..."   Khanacademy

 

The 3/5th compromise played a huge role as a cause of the Civil War.  An example of one of the Constitutional Compromises that almost caused the opposite.

I would not have compromised with the 3/5 reps rule. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 mins ago, Gamakatsu said:

 

I don't think anybody in this forum shies from confrontation.

 

My former party moved to the left of me and is allowing itself to to be driven by the fringe. The Republicans lost any appeal to me when they became the party of Trump. Socially, I will usually (almost always) align with Dems and in matters of commerce, usually with the pre 2016 Republicans. Put me in whatever box you choose.

Your ex-parties move to the left is why I would not compromise if I felt that policy decision would hurt the country. Why would I want to compromise? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 mins ago, KnewBee said:

 Congress cannot function without "compromise"

 

There are no longer "centrists or moderates" representing their constituents who are majority "centrists" 

 

Congress cannot get much done

 

 

Congress isn't supposed to function with quick, spontaneous policy change.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Moderates don't scream at the sky when things don't go their way.

Moderates don't vilify opposing opinions.

Moderates don't violently (riot) protest.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, KnewBee said:

 Congress cannot function without "compromise"

 

There are no longer "centrists or moderates" representing their constituents who are majority "centrists" 

 

Congress cannot get much done

 

 

Explain ACA.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 mins ago, Dogfish Between Jetties said:

Congress isn't supposed to function with quick, spontaneous policy change.

Concur.  But when each side won't compromise with the other and the Congress is split nearly down the middle, nothing will get done.  

 

The discussion as to what they should be legislating and compromising on is a whole different subject though

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

5 mins ago, Gotcow? said:

Explain ACA.

perfect example and beyond explanation (I'm not a lawyer)

Edited by KnewBee

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 mins ago, PaddyCrabby said:

A centrist is as alusive as a mountain lion these days.  The left went too far left for any sane person to relate.

Well I don’t know what a centrist is. But I do know that moderate near center people who will vote either way depending on what they think benefits the country as a whole exist. And they are not that uncommon at all outside of hyper partisan forums and social media. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 mins ago, Dogfish Between Jetties said:

Your ex-parties move to the left is why I would not compromise if I felt that policy decision would hurt the country. Why would I want to compromise? 

You drag them kicking and screaming back to the center. Love them or hate them, both Reagan and Clinton were able to compromise. Both did good and bad for the country, but they got stuff done.

 

Obama ramrodded Obamacare through and it has turned medical care into a big mess. If the Republicans had attempted compromise, things might be different. Trump ruled by executive order and his successor was able to undo almost all of it with ease. Had he allowed compromise to be in play, some of what he did would have been much more difficult to undo because it would be law, not an order 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 mins ago, Tailslap said:

Well I don’t know what a centrist is. But I do know that moderate near center people who will vote either way depending on what they think benefits the country as a whole exist. And they are not that uncommon at all outside of hyper partisan forums and social media. 

What I see is division.   It is not productive and is making us choose sides.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 mins ago, Gamakatsu said:

You drag them kicking and screaming back to the center. Love them or hate them, both Reagan and Clinton were able to compromise. Both did good and bad for the country, but they got stuff done.

 

Obama ramrodded Obamacare through and it has turned medical care into a big mess. If the Republicans had attempted compromise, things might be different. Trump ruled by executive order and his successor was able to undo almost all of it with ease. Had he allowed compromise to be in play, some of what he did would have been much more difficult to undo because it would be law, not an order 

Societal and political beliefs have changed dramatically since Reagan/Clinton. It was easier to compromise because differences weren't so dramatic.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 min ago, PaddyCrabby said:

What I see is division.   It is not productive and is making us choose sides.  

 

The division is occurring because nobody wants to compromise. Some of the pie is better than none of the pie.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 mins ago, Tailslap said:

Well I don’t know what a centrist is. But I do know that moderate near center people who will vote either way depending on what they think benefits the country as a whole exist. And they are not that uncommon at all outside of hyper partisan forums and social media. 

Why do moderates shift left and right so much? Biden Independent approval is at 27%.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.