55555s

Defining Centrism- What is a Political Moderate?

Rate this topic

205 posts in this topic

2 mins ago, Gamakatsu said:

Yes. Totally unproductive and useless. That's me for sure.

See? We're bonding. 

4 mins ago, Dogfish Between Jetties said:

What was the issue in the 1700's that the founders disagreed on but ended up compromising?

How we would be represented among other things.

28 mins ago, Gamakatsu said:

5 mins ago, Mokes said:

Uselessness is your repartee. 

I say a women's place is barefoot, pregnant, and in the kitchen. I refuse to budge on my position.

He does have a point.

Just now, Gamakatsu said:

How we would be represented among other things.

I could be wrong but the founders agreed on States rights

If you believe that abortion should be legal, you should stand by your beliefs.

I'm not singling out anybody here.

Some people claim to be moderate to avoid confrontation, affiliation to a party, not willing to think deeply about issues/policy, avoidance of moral decisions or are just mushy overall.

26 mins ago, Dogfish Between Jetties said:

What was the issue in the 1700's that the founders disagreed on but ended up compromising?

Seriously?  There were major "compromises" in the early years of the country, some were absolutely crucial

Partial list below

Compromiseapture.PNG

8 mins ago, Dogfish Between Jetties said:

Some people claim to be moderate to avoid confrontation, affiliation to a party, not willing to think deeply about issues/policy, avoidance of moral decisions or are just mushy overall.

What?  Is this a serious post? Hilarious 

31 mins ago, Gamakatsu said:

We would never have become a country if the founding fathers had your mindset.

"...To get the Constitution ratified by all 13 states, the delegates to the Constitutional Convention had to reach several compromises. The three major compromises were the Great Compromise, the Three-Fifths Compromise, and the Electoral College..."   Khanacademy

The 3/5th compromise played a huge role as a cause of the Civil War.  An example of one of the Constitutional Compromises that almost caused the opposite.

8 mins ago, Dogfish Between Jetties said:

I don't think anybody in this forum shies from confrontation.

My former party moved to the left of me and is allowing itself to to be driven by the fringe. The Republicans lost any appeal to me when they became the party of Trump. Socially, I will usually (almost always) align with Dems and in matters of commerce, usually with the pre 2016 Republicans. Put me in whatever box you choose.

1 min ago, KnewBee said:

"...To get the Constitution ratified by all 13 states, the delegates to the Constitutional Convention had to reach several compromises. The three major compromises were the Great Compromise, the Three-Fifths Compromise, and the Electoral College..."   Khanacademy

The 3/5th compromise played a huge role as a cause of the Civil War.  An example of one of the Constitutional Compromises that almost caused the opposite.

But would the country have ever formed without the 3/5 compromise, as disgusting as it was?

Congress cannot function without "compromise"

There are no longer "centrists or moderates" representing their constituents who are majority "centrists" 

Congress cannot get much done

7 mins ago, Gamakatsu said:

But would the country have ever formed without the 3/5 compromise, as disgusting as it was?

Good question.   If not for the 3/5ths compromise, I suspect there would have been something else similar.

If not, the Constitutional Convention would have been different.