55555s

Defining Centrism- What is a Political Moderate?

Rate this topic

205 posts in this topic

13 hours ago, Long Wader said:

The Current Democrat Party would Consider JFK a Right Wing Extremist and a domestic terrorist.

 

Nixon and Reagan would be blasted as RINOs by the standards of the current GOP.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Sqwiddig said:

 

Nixon and Reagan would be blasted as RINOs by the standards of the current GOP.

You're right about Nixon.  But I bet you weren't alive or aware when he was President.  Nixon was a swamp creature and a big government guy.  He was a centrist along with many Dems (mostly northern Union guys) except the racist Southerners who were also Dems.  

 

Ronaldus Magnus was the greatest President of my lifetime especially measured by his accomplishments and he was conservative as hell.  He defined what conservativism was and is.  And no mean tweets.  BTW, I would consider Trump the second most successful President of my lifetime on his record of accomplishments and the success of the nation, at least until Covid.  And even then, he got the vaccine out in record time.  Even the Dems say that.

 

Admit it.  You're just throwing poop against the wall.

 

As to the Dems.  JFK was conservative, comparitively(?).  But LBJ, Carter (moderate), Clinton (moderate) and Obama are all yours.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Sqwiddig said:

 

Nixon and Reagan would be blasted as RINOs by the standards of the current GOP.


:laugh:

 

You got that totally backwards.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

3 hours ago, Knight771 said:

You're right about Nixon.  But I bet you weren't alive or aware when he was President.  Nixon was a swamp creature and a big government guy.  He was a centrist along with many Dems (mostly northern Union guys) except the racist Southerners who were also Dems.  

 

Ronaldus Magnus was the greatest President of my lifetime especially measured by his accomplishments and he was conservative as hell.  He defined what conservativism was and is.  And no mean tweets.  BTW, I would consider Trump the second most successful President of my lifetime on his record of accomplishments and the success of the nation, at least until Covid.  And even then, he got the vaccine out in record time.  Even the Dems say that.

 

Admit it.  You're just throwing poop against the wall.

 

As to the Dems.  JFK was conservative, comparitively(?).  But LBJ, Carter (moderate), Clinton (moderate) and Obama are all yours.

Not at all.  Someone suggested that today's Democrat Party would consider JFK a Right Wing Extremist and a domestic terrorist. My guess is that the progressive left portion of the Democrat Party wouldn't go that far, but that they would certainly be unhappy with JFK just as they are with Biden.

 

I also think that there is a comparatively shorter line between JFK and Biden than there is between Reagan and Trump, and JFK and Biden are comparatively closer in spirit and ideology than Reagan and Trump. Reagan was the high-water mark for conservative politics in the last 40 years, but he supported things like raising taxes to make sure that Social Security was solvent, keeping the government's hands off big business rather than punishing them, and creating a path to citizenship for illegal immigrants who were already here, and there is a reason why time and time again in the last few years anti-Trump Republicans have said "Ronald Reagan must be rolling in his grave."  

 

It is obvious both parties are shifting away from the center, and it makes me wonder if we would be better off with not just a third-party, but a multi-party system that requires compromise and coalition building. However, it is my sense that the GOP has shifted further as Reagan's stolid principled conservatism has given way to the Trump brand of reactionary populism that sometimes puzzles today's principled conservatives.

 

Shorter version, I think a modern day JFK would be pretty close aligned to Biden, while a modern day Reagan would be a contrast to Trump.

 

Just my two cents.      

 

Edited by Sqwiddig

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 mins ago, Sqwiddig said:

JFK a Right Wing Extremist and a domestic terrorist.

Bill Clinton circa 1st Term would be considered a radical right winger on todays political stage 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/21/2022 at 10:34 AM, RiverRaider said:

Bill Clinton circa 1st Term would be considered a radical right winger on todays political stage 

 

The guy who pushed for a tax increase that led to a balanced budget?

 

What right winger has ever pushed for a tax increase?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 mins ago, Gamakatsu said:

The guy who pushed for a tax increase that led to a balanced budget?

 

What right winger has ever pushed for a tax increase?

Crime Bill racist?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, saltydawg said:

Crime Bill racist?

Crime Bill good.

 

Led to some of the lowest crime rates we ever had. For profit prisons bad.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Doesn’t matter if people think moderates are not real. They will pick the next president. It’s no wonder they are so confused when they lose. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.