55555s

Defining Centrism- What is a Political Moderate?

Rate this topic

205 posts in this topic

Just as the title states.  I hear it frequently "I'm not on the fringe, I am Independent, Centrist, Moderate.

What does it mean?  @KnewBee spare the textbook definition (the border is not LITERALLY open, but effectively it is). 

What does it mean in practice in common lexicon? 

@Tailslap, @Gamakatsu @TheDude Forgive me, I know there are others who post regularly and consider themselves Centrist or seek Centrism.  Dont be offended if I omitted you, and if you know someone feel free to call them in.

Centrism.  

What, EXACTLY, does that look like to you?  

Others, dont be a douche in this thread.  

For starters willing to vote for either side to try to stop too much movement to one fringe or the other. Zero tribalism. 

Just now, Tailslap said:

For starters willing to vote for either side to try to stop too much movement to one fringe or the other. 

Legalization of rape.  

Banning rape.

Meet in the middle?

1 min ago, 55555s said:

Legalization of rape.  

Banning rape.

Meet in the middle?

National law allowing but capping abortion to say 16-20 weeks seems fair to me. 

Just now, Tailslap said:

National law allowing but capping abortion to say 16-20 weeks seems fair to me. 

LImiting an abortion is VERY much not your call.  

That view is Fringe misogynist Conservative Trumper if you ask the 2 dozen or so people I work out of the Office with in Bergen Co.  

1 min ago, 55555s said:

LImiting an abortion is VERY much not your call.  

That view is Fringe misogynist Conservative Trumper if you ask the 2 dozen or so people I work out of the Office with in Bergen Co.  

We used to call meeting in the middle common sense. And it always worked. Meeting in the middle will never be fringe. In reality. 

1 min ago, Tailslap said:

We used to call meeting in the middle common sense. And it always worked. Meeting in the middle will never be fringe. In reality. 

$25,000/yr tax per caucasian family for reparations payments.

Absolutely no additional tax to fund reparations.

Meet in the middle?

2 mins ago, Tailslap said:

Shall NOT be infringed.  

47.000 laws & ordinances infringing.

Meet int he middle?  

2 mins ago, Tailslap said:

raise tax rates 10%

Raise tax rates 15%

Meet in the middle? 

(i'd say no.  How about, LOWER taxes?)

Asians arent human and shouldnt vote.

Asians are human, and should get 1 vote like everyone else.

Meet in the middle?

I am not even sure a true centrist really exists. That would mean you are middle of the road on everything. Even third parties favor one side or the other because of a couple issues.

To make it worse as either side moves the fringes further away a centrist now becomes more conservative or progressive depending on their views. Example, I used to consider myself socially moderate, gays and gay marriage doesn't bother me but I also don't need groups pushing their agenda or lifestyle in my face. Now that gay is more conservative because of trannies being the new trendy group I find my social views are favoring conservative. Gays still don't bother me but I draw the line at trannies. To a liberal that makes me conservative.

I can do this all day. 

Compromising with degenerates, criminals, scumbags, theives, Marxists, etc is a fools errand. 

1 min ago, ihocky2 said:

I am not even sure a true centrist really exists. That would mean you are middle of the road on everything. Even third parties favor one side or the other because of a couple issues.

To make it worse as either side moves the fringes further away a centrist now becomes more conservative or progressive depending on their views.

Agree

1 min ago, ihocky2 said:

Example, I used to consider myself socially moderate, gays and gay marriage doesn't bother me but I also don't need groups pushing their agenda or lifestyle in my face. Now that gay is more conservative because of trannies being the new trendy group I find my social views are favoring conservative. Gays still don't bother me but I draw the line at trannies. To a liberal that makes me conservative.

Exactly.  The overton window theory is valid and proven in practice.  

23 mins ago, 55555s said:

I can do this all day. 

Compromising with degenerates, criminals, scumbags, theives, Marxists, etc is a fools errand. 

See that’s sorta part of the issue. A centrist doesn’t need to denigrate “the other side”. I may agree on some issues and not others however we are all part of America. Absolute binary statements are for the fringe. Just my 2 cents.