SubRosa87

Mitchell 302 Saltwater Paint

Rate this topic

6 posts in this topic

My grandfather (passed away back in 2001) left my father a 302 and I’m looking to have a local tackle shop restore it. I’m told it’s a prized reel for its ruggedness. I want to paint it myself but don’t know what exactly I’d need. Boat paint? Do I need to sand the reel down first? How would I go about this?

First disassemble the complete reel and clean... Then wet sand the complete reel with 400 wet and dry paper to remove any corrosion and to roughen the surf to achieve better adhesion of the paint.. Then spray with an automotive primer rub again with 400 and after that spay it with any automotive paint color you choose.. Assemble and lubricate... All done, install line and fish it..   

1 hour ago, SubRosa87 said:

My grandfather (passed away back in 2001) left my father a 302 and I’m looking to have a local tackle shop restore it. I’m told it’s a prized reel for its ruggedness. I want to paint it myself but don’t know what exactly I’d need. Boat paint? Do I need to sand the reel down first? How would I go about this?

As far as boat paint, do you mean metal boat paint for saltwater, something like spraygalv? Ive never used it on reels. 

10 mins ago, fishhappy said:

I’m looking to have a local tackle shop restore it.

Most tackle shops won't do a full restore, maybe a tear down clean and relube and if it's really in bad shape they will turn you away a broken screw could be a nightmare to get out, l have been down that road and have done many reels, at work we had a glass bead blasting machine and it did fast work of paint removal.

Paint black automotive spray paint.

The 302 was a good reel in its day and many fishermen will still use them today.

Posted (edited)

Just be aware that if you use this reel in saltwater, that the stem is the weak point on this reel unfortunately!

I just had one that was literally in my family for 40 years and I sold it off to a friend!

I had it on a very old but beautiful 5 foot ugly stick that I refurbished!

Well, moron took it down to the pier and decided to best a cownose, the ray ripped the reel right off the rod breaking the stem, because he didn’t have the drag set correctly!

I practically puked on the ground watching this happen!

This reel had been around for 40 years and he had it for five minutes and destroyed it!

So, whatever you do make sure your drags stack is in good shape and don’t put line that’s overrated on the reel as well!

This particular Mitchell had 20 pd mono on it, but it was definitely his fault for overstressing the reel, and not using the drag properly!

EA

Edited by ExcessiveAngler
Spelling

On 7/18/2022 at 2:20 PM, SubRosa87 said:

Sand it down and slap some oil based paint on it.   PACK full of blue grease…..   I inherited a ton of great and grandfathers rods/reels and I pack them with grease and use for schoolie and small blues